E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Found fault in central locking......

10-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Bmwjc
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

Found fault in central locking......

Fault has been found. Just as well as I was just about to purchase the diversity antenna amplifier.
Right hand side of tailgate there was a broken wire. Not much room to play with in terms of reconnecting anyone any ideas how I can do it without replacing the whole wire?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M Sport

Get a 6 inch long (or around that length) piece of wire of the same or similar gauge, and connect each end to either end of the break with connection blocks/solder, heatshrink etc if that makes sense?

Will give you an extra 6 inches to play with if there isnt enough to simply join back together

I am just thinking out loud and this may of course be a stupid idea...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Bmwjc
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

this is what i was thinking but wanted to check first. ive temporarily connected it up with a block and some spare wire. Im thinking permanently i will solder some some new wire in place rather than the block as that takes up more room. There is another broken wire in there too but only has one end so who knows what thats for. Blue tooth has stopped but not sure if wires for that are in that part of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M Sport

It will work either way, but solder and heatshrink is preferable to not only save space as you say, but also looks much neater and a more professional repair...

With regards to where the wire for BT are I cant help unfortunately, but it is a bit odd you have a loose wire that you can only find one end for, if it looks like it should be connected to somewhere then that may be compounding the issues with your BT? It may have been connected to one of the ends of the wires you cant join, like 1 wire splitting into 2 which would account for why you have 3 loose ends and cant join them in pairs?

You could do with a wiring diagram really, unless anyone else can help further.

Im just taking a few stabs in the dark...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
Jamo B
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 325 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjc
Fault has been found. Just as well as I was just about to purchase the diversity antenna amplifier.
Right hand side of tailgate there was a broken wire. Not much room to play with in terms of reconnecting anyone any ideas how I can do it without replacing the whole wire?
I have the antenna amplifier if you need one? I also have all the wiring if you need to replace any.
Appreciate 0