E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Possibly the first vargas stage 1 turbo :)

07-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Subaru335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
Install day! There are several of us in the twin cities interested, I am sure a few of us could get together and install it.
Minneapolis represent! I'd be down to help out if my schedule worked.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #24
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhutch View Post
Completely agree; I'm hesitant to do it myself although i'm likely capable of doing the work...you got any plans of upgrading? Even if I had a second set of experienced hands, the install would be that much less stressful!
I will probably be upgrading this winter (waiting to see what the stage 2 pure does). You were talking about shipping your car to them to get the work done, so thought you were looking at upgrading soon. I have a lot of experience on other cars, so it should be a big deal to do one.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #25
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Looks good man. It was a pleasure talking to you, and answering your questions. We appreciated your patience as well as we got these going. Please feel free to email if you or the shop has any questions during install, better safe than sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #26
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 F80 ZCP

Quote:
I will probably be upgrading this winter (waiting to see what the stage 2 pure does). You were talking about shipping your car to them to get the work done, so thought you were looking at upgrading soon. I have a lot of experience on other cars, so it should be a big deal to do one.
I was kind of kidding about shipping the car, just calling out that the shop discussed offered a pretty good install rate.

Where were you guys last weekend during powercruise? It was an awesome event.....N54s taking GTRs and all
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #27
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Yep, had a few buddies at the cruise and saw videos of it. My car is tune only right now, so it wouldn't hang very good. Next year though!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #28
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Successful vargas stage 1 install. Let me tell you something this thing feels wayyyyyy better than before I haven't gotten on it yet but I easily hit 19psi on the hijacked boost gauge on mild pull. More to come data to come soon
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleann55
Successful vargas stage 1 install. Let me tell you something this thing feels wayyyyyy better than before I haven't gotten on it yet but I easily hit 19psi on the hijacked boost gauge on mild pull. More to come data to come soon
Cant wait to see your results!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PS2 turbo FBO JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleann55 View Post
AWESOME! do you have a go pro or anything that you can record with? i would love to see a video of the gauge cluster with the boost gauge not dropping down to nothing after you pass 5500! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #31
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty335i View Post
AWESOME! do you have a go pro or anything that you can record with? i would love to see a video of the gauge cluster with the boost gauge not dropping down to nothing after you pass 5500! haha
Will do once I set my map 6 boost targets. Did one log so far on map 7. Boost seems to be right on target
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #32
deemarr 335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i performance edition

Quote:
Will do once I set my map 6 boost targets. Did one log so far on map 7. Boost seems to be right on target
Awesome....DM me the install price, I'm next up ^__^ oh and bmw replaced my trans
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #33
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
What fuel u ran ? Car pulls much harder then with stock turbo ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM View Post
100 oct pure for now. It pulls harder than the stock one definitely. Boost hold to about 5700-6k then I start seeing the needle on the boost gauge go down after that. I did map 6 log I'll tell you one thing it looks about 90-95% similar to the competitors V2 turbo on the graph. I havent checked the csv file on a spreadsheet to determine that though so I'll let terry decide on that I sent him two map 6 logs we'll see what he says
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #35
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM View Post
100 oct pure for now. It pulls harder than the stock one definitely. Boost hold to about 5700-6k then I start seeing the needle on the boost gauge go down after that. I did map 6 log I'll tell you one thing it looks about 90-95% similar to the competitors V2 turbo on the graph. I havent checked the csv file on a spreadsheet to determine that though so I'll let terry decide on that I sent him two map 6 logs we'll see what he says
Well a st1 is a st1 mind sharing a csv!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #36
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
You're 100% correct a stage 1 is a stage 1 no matter what. There's nothing magical you can do to a stock chra other than compressor wheel and clipped turbine. But apparently people are convinced that there is a special magic thing you can do to them in order to make power. I will lost csv file as soon as terry gives me the thumbs up on my last two logs i sent them a little late so he probably fell asleep on me lol
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #37
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
You're 100% correct a stage 1 is a stage 1 no matter what. There's nothing magical you can do to a stock chra other than compressor wheel and clipped turbine. But apparently people are convinced that there is a special magic thing you can do to them in order to make power. I will lost csv file as soon as terry gives me the thumbs up on my last two logs i sent them a little late so he probably fell asleep on me lol
Indeed. More importantly for the price i think getting your 6.5k rpm back instead of shifting at 5.8k rpm and some additional hp makes it worth it. Not everybody has budget for stage2 or higher.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #38
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

You're shifting at 6500rpm because from what i see in your logs you are targeting max 15ish psi i believe. Im targeting 19 all across and because the turbo is still stock turbine there isnt enough flow so im shifting at 6000-6200rpm but compared to 5k i cant complain. Those of us n55 owners who use map 7 know that we suffer earlier boost drop as opposed to someone running lower boost maps.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #39
bk335ilci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

Would be great to see some dyno numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #40
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is indeed a fact, that other shops want to use smoke and mirrors to lead people to believe they are adding "special" things to their stage 1 turbos to give them an advantage just isn't the case, that stock turbine is going to flow what it is going to flow, and then they party is over. Thank you for getting this on and tested so soon. We have enough parts in stock to build 3 more units for right now as we did a limited run, and it looks like a shop in South Africa might be buying at least 2 of them. We will see today. Let me know when you get it on the Dyno. One of our Stage 2 guys in Australia should be getting on the dyno today or tomorrow with just a PTF flash tune.

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 07-25-2014 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #41
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
We have enough parts in stock to build 3 more units for right now as we did a limited run, and it looks like a shop in South Africa might be buying at least 2 of them. We will see today.
So you have parts for 3 more turbos in stock, but didn't you just argue the other day that you don't stock parts and that is why you couldn't refund a customer??

And it would be totally impossible for someone to find the choke point in a turbo and port that out or find other areas to improve. We didn't see any improvement from the Pure v1 to the v2...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #42
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So you have parts for 3 more turbos in stock, but didn't you just argue the other day that you don't stock parts and that is why you couldn't refund a customer??

And it would be totally impossible for someone to find the choke point in a turbo and port that out or find other areas to improve. We didn't see any improvement from the Pure v1 to the v2...
No please go back and look and look at my post as you obviously misread it again. Having turbos on the shelf ready to ship is 100% different than building to order, every single turbo is built to order, including N54's and N55's this is due to differing options you can get. Since you are still referring to stage 2 upgrades, please go back and read again, we have never had all Stage 2 JB part in stock to even build a set, our announcement was made to judge interested and gauge how many parts to order. We took deposits based on the information gleaned, some came in early , others were not as we wanted so we had no choice but to stick to the original completion estimate. Why you want to continue these aggressive attempts at starting arguments over something that is clear cut is a little confusing and disappointing. If you have something negative to say, please feel free to start a thread and do so, but cluttering up a happy customers thread with them is anti-productive.

Also "porting" will have zero to do with getting more flow past the stock turbine, this is what the clipping is, basically getting rid of material to allow my exhaust to pass through the turbine. If you think of it in an easier way maybe people will understand what is going on here, and stop believing in magic parts. You have 2 garden hoses, one in coming in and one coming out with a stream of water going through them, they are flowing great, lets say they are 3/4" Diameter. Now you go to Home depot and buy a 1/8" adapter and install it between the inlet hose and the outlet hose, you have now effectively reduced all flow through the outlet hose to a 1/8" inlet no matter how much water you try to force through it, you are going to flow as much as the 1/8" outlet can flow, by increasing pressure on the inlet side you can speed up the water coming out, and also increase the back pressure building up behind the 1/8" fitting but you will not force more water through it, it is not physically possible. So now lets "port" the inlet and outlet but leave the 1/8 restriction in place, so now we go to 1 1/2 pipe coming into and going out of the 1/8" fitting, we now have MUCH more flow potential on both sides of it, this would be like fitting a bigger exhaust, and "porting" your turbine housing". The increase in flow did nothing to increase how much volume of water is going to be moved through that 1/8 fitting at any one time, you helped to bring back pressure down on both sides of the restriction, but did not increase flow through it. Now, if you open up the 1/8" fitting a little bit, say to 1/4" basically like clipping the turbine, you can now move a little more past the fitting but once the flow limit of the 1/4" fitting is reach that is it, you then cannot flow more volume until that restriction is removed and a bigger opening is put in place. This is why a stage 2 style upgrade with a much larger turbine wheel has so much more flow potential, as you are basically reducing that restriction. Hopefully this will put the myths to bed of "special" tricks being done to get more out of a stage 1, when you reach the flow limit of the stock turbine, it has been reached, game over.

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 07-25-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #43
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

"Do you believe in magic, in a young girls heart" lol but the choke point is basically the turbine. If you upgrade it it'll flow better to redline plain and simple
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #44
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
"Do you believe in magic, in a young girls heart" lol but the choke point is basically the turbine. If you upgrade it it'll flow better to redline plain and simple
This is correct the choke point is the turbine. There very well may be some boost left on the table as the back pressure builds it is most likely blowing open the wastegate flapper bleeding off even more boost as we have tested the actuators with spring scales and the results were less than stellar. We will be testing new actuators on a stage 2 customers car here very soon, as well as using his car to test fit the Shotgun pump upgrades on the N55's. The N55 should be moving along quite nicely by the end of the year, with fueling etc.
Appreciate 0