E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335is intercooler options

12-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

335is intercooler options

What are the best bang for buck intercoolers that are easy install no trimming necessary on a 335is?

I would like to run MHD Stage 2+ .

I've been eyeing Phoenix Racing intercooler and VRSF. Read that VRSF is the best to install the pipes back on?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
tan_rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
What are the best bang for buck intercoolers that are easy install no trimming necessary on a 335is?

I've been eyeing Phoenix Racing intercooler and VRSF. Read that VRSF is the best to install the pipes back on?
Anything larger than 5" intercooler will require trimming I believe. For the IS intercooler install it is HIGHLY recommend if not a must to remove radiator fan to install the lower chargepipe too.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_rich View Post
Anything larger than 5" intercooler will require trimming I believe. For the IS intercooler install it is HIGHLY recommend if not a must to remove radiator fan to install the lower chargepipe too.
And for it's height I suppose nothing higher than stock, or it is possible still for fitment? I see the VRSF 5 inch only have the stepped one.

When I did my coolant flush I removed the stock inter cooler and put it back without to much difficulty without removing the radiator fan. Does putting an aftermarket FMIC involves more?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

If you don't need to trim the bumper shroud then the intercooler isn't worth buying IMO. Trimming isn't as invasive as it sounds, but it is a 'permanent modification' more or less so I can see why people shy away.

The VRSF 7" intercooler would be fine for your needs, it's what I'm running. If you want more power later then you should step up to one of their larger ones.

I did not need to remove the radiator fan for installing the lower charge pipe & intercooler; the lower charge pipe install is what tan_rich mentioned as needing to remove the radiator fan. The install is pretty straight forward, just takes some finagling to get everything seated properly before tightening down. Can be done solo with a jack to hoist the intercooler as you keep everything lined up, but this step would definitely be easier with a second set of hands.
Torgus3779.00
      12-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
If you don't need to trim the bumper shroud then the intercooler isn't worth buying IMO. Trimming isn't as invasive as it sounds, but it is a 'permanent modification' more or less so I can see why people shy away.

The VRSF 7" intercooler would be fine for your needs, it's what I'm running. If you want more power later then you should step up to one of their larger ones.

I did not need to remove the radiator fan for installing the lower charge pipe & intercooler; the lower charge pipe install is what tan_rich mentioned as needing to remove the radiator fan. The install is pretty straight forward, just takes some finagling to get everything seated properly before tightening down. Can be done solo with a jack to hoist the intercooler as you keep everything lined up, but this step would definitely be easier with a second set of hands.
When you say if you don't trim it's not worth buying you mean that for what they sell that fit stock, it won't give that much of HP increase?

Your VRSF 7" you didn't had to trim? 7" would sound like a really good improvement over stock. But you don't feel like it's worth it? I thought the 7" one was the largest one. I'm more lost than I thought in terms of intercoolers lol.

Reason why I want to not trim is that I currently don't own a dremmel and using other tools feel a bit complicated to fit in there. I guess I could use drill with a trimming attachment but yeah..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you say if you don't trim it's not worth buying you mean that for what they sell that fit stock, it won't give that much of HP increase?

Your VRSF 7" you didn't had to trim? 7" would sound like a really good improvement over stock. But you don't feel like it's worth it? I thought the 7" one was the largest one. I'm more lost than I thought in terms of intercoolers lol.

Reason why I want to not trim is that I currently don't own a dremmel and using other tools feel a bit complicated to fit in there. I guess I could use drill with a trimming attachment but yeah..
You need to trim to fit the 7" intercooler, hope that cleans up some confusion.

The gains from an intercooler that doesn’t require trimming don’t warrant the price. For just a little bit more, the 7” offers higher performance and really shines by eliminating heat soak during multiple consecutive runs.

Before installing the intercooler, there was a noticeable difference in acceleration from the 1st run to the 3rd consecutive run, measured by buddy’s Mustang GT which I beat during the first two runs but not the third. I literally ordered the intercooler that same day. Heat soak is now non-existent for me, but highway pulls are the extent of what my car sees so this would probably be a different story if I was tracking it. I guess that’s why VRSF offers a 7.5” ‘race’ intercooler.

I wouldn’t do the job without a Dremmel, not saying it’s impossible, it’s just that the Dremmel’s size and precision go a long way here. Not a bad tool to invest in though, every toolbox should have one.
MNick25.50
      12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You need to trim to fit the 7" intercooler, hope that cleans up some confusion.

The gains from an intercooler that doesn’t require trimming don’t warrant the price. For just a little bit more, the 7” offers higher performance and really shines by eliminating heat soak during multiple consecutive runs.

Before installing the intercooler, there was a noticeable difference in acceleration from the 1st run to the 3rd consecutive run, measured by buddy’s Mustang GT which I beat during the first two runs but not the third. I literally ordered the intercooler that same day. Heat soak is now non-existent for me, but highway pulls are the extent of what my car sees so this would probably be a different story if I was tracking it. I guess that’s why VRSF offers a 7.5” ‘race’ intercooler.

I wouldn’t do the job without a Dremmel, not saying it’s impossible, it’s just that the Dremmel’s size and precision go a long way here. Not a bad tool to invest in though, every toolbox should have one.
Ah ok gotcha.

I'm also just looking to get more HP just go a overwall faster/quicker car. I only do highway pulls and rarely do race pulls against people at a spot we know (in mexico ofc )

What about the VRSF 5 inch stepped intercooler? Is that easy fit? And it should be adequate for performance or not.

For sure always wanted a dremmel. But everything adds up lol $$$. I'm about to remove my seconds cats and put in 1972 vibrant resonators to.

I was considering either coils or intercooler. Looks or performance for the next mod after. I'm unsure now

Just to make sure I understand. The main reason why the smaller aftermarket upgrades are not worth it is because of heat soaking after time or just that you won't get as much HP? A 7" intercooler compared to a 5" will provide better IAT even when not under heat soak, correct, so meaning more HP?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok gotcha.

I'm also just looking to get more HP just go a overwall faster/quicker car. I only do highway pulls and rarely do race pulls against people at a spot we know (in mexico ofc )

What about the VRSF 5 inch stepped intercooler? Is that easy fit? And it should be adequate for performance or not.

For sure always wanted a dremmel. But everything adds up lol $$$. I'm about to remove my seconds cats and put in 1972 vibrant resonators to.

I was considering either coils or intercooler. Looks or performance for the next mod after. I'm unsure now

Just to make sure I understand. The main reason why the smaller aftermarket upgrades are not worth it is because of heat soaking after time or just that you won't get as much HP? A 7" intercooler compared to a 5" will provide better IAT even when not under heat soak, correct, so meaning more HP?
So an intercooler 'makes' power by cooling the charged air, cooler air = more dense air = more power. If you have a log available, take a peek at how much your IAT rises during the 3rd gear pull. By the end of that pull, the stock intercooler isn't keeping up with the turbos' increased heat so you are getting less dense air = less power, aka heat soak.

A 5" intercooler will reduce that top-end heat, therefore increasing power in that range. A 7" will do the same but better. The big difference between the two is noticeable after a few runs, when your starting IAT is 20-30* hotter than normal. The 7" will be able to keep the IAT within a tolerable range, whereas the 5" will start experiencing heat soak.

VRSF's intercoolers are all pretty much plug & play with the stock outlets/chargepipes, except the 7 & 7.5" need to have the bumper shroud trimmed.

Intercooler and coilovers are both performance and looks If you're happy with your car's current performance then I would shelf the intercooler until after coilovers. That's what I had done, but after I got beat by a Mustang I had to purchase the intercooler
Torgus3779.00
      12-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

With no trimming the best option for you is the VRSF 5" FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

I am only planning to go with bolt ons, just fun backroad driving and highway pulls... and was recently debating whether to go 5 or 7 inch...in the end I figured I'd just do it once and get the 7" HD and deal with the trimming even though I'm less than happy about that part.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
I am only planning to go with bolt ons, just fun backroad driving and highway pulls... and was recently debating whether to go 5 or 7 inch...in the end I figured I'd just do it once and get the 7" HD and deal with the trimming even though I'm less than happy about that part.
It's not noticeable on the surface, I think trimming being a barrier for the 7" is way overplayed but I understand that some people don't want to make permanent modifications to their car.
      12-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Tom Brady. /Thread

I vote VRSF 7inch HD. If you need more get the VRSF race IC. That thing is serious. VRSF offers good products for a good price and has good rep and has had for years.

edit: The trimming is super easy. I can take my front pumper off in like 15m so I would personally do that as it makes everything much easier to work on. Your 1st time probably 45m.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-06-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
b92538.00
feuer4274.50
      12-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
The trimming isn't really that bad. 2 inches of trimming and it cuts pretty easily with a sharp knife.

Some people think you are cutting the bumper but it's just plastic shroud behind the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Yep, I understood that from another thread which is why I went ahead with the 7" It's now sitting in my garage waiting for some day when I'll have time to install it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Tom Brady. /Thread

I vote VRSF 7inch HD. If you need more get the VRSF race IC. That thing is serious. VRSF offers good products for a good price and has good rep and has had for years.

edit: The trimming is super easy. I can take my front pumper off in like 15m so I would personally do that as it makes everything much easier to work on. Your 1st time probably 45m.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The trimming isn't really that bad. 2 inches of trimming and it cuts pretty easily with a sharp knife.

Some people think you are cutting the bumper but it's just plastic shroud behind the bumper.
Quote:
It's not noticeable on the surface, I think trimming being a barrier for the 7" is way overplayed but I understand that some people don't want to make permanent modifications to their car.

It's more just that I don't want to get more work involved but hey if you are all saying it's easily trimable I might get it...

To be clear, anyone has a picture or diagram of what exactly has to be trimmed? I'm probably over expecting the trimming part and like you all say it must be easy?

I might go for 7" as the 7" HD seem to be more for upgraded turbos.

And the 5 inch stepped is a non trimmable solution but you lose a few degrees?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I understood that from another thread which is why I went ahead with the 7" It's now sitting in my garage waiting for some day when I'll have time to install it.
This will probably be me lol. I will only install when spring is back and I need to look at how dirty my intake valves are.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
Banzai250
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Quote:
This will probably be me lol. I will only install when spring is back and I need to look at how dirty my intake valves are.
For what is worth, I have been running ARM MOTOSPORTS step 5 inch on my fbo 335i , easy to install/ direct bolt on . Very happy with the results 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #18
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I have a 5” stepped g plus intercooler I got off of eBay. Install was pretty easy and I think the performance is pretty good...5-10 degree rise on a 3rd gear pull in south Louisiana summer...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
e9221228
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai250 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
For what is worth, I have been running ARM MOTOSPORTS step 5 inch on my fbo 335i , easy to install/ direct bolt on . Very happy with the results 👍
I put a 5" Wagner on my 'is. Took bumper cover off, which was simple, and trimmed a plastic tab that served no identifiable purpose. It was about .75" x 1" and I cut it with large wire cutters. You don't need a Dremel. The tiny area that was trimmed is completely invisible after installation. Wagner is working great with Stage 1+, which is as far as I plan to mod. You mentioned coils. If you need them, do that first. Maintenance should always come first.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9221228 View Post
I put a 5" Wagner on my 'is. Took bumper cover off, which was simple, and trimmed a plastic tab that served no identifiable purpose. It was about .75" x 1" and I cut it with large wire cutters. You don't need a Dremel. The tiny area that was trimmed is completely invisible after installation. Wagner is working great with Stage 1+, which is as far as I plan to mod. You mentioned coils. If you need them, do that first. Maintenance should always come first.
Coils were just for looks. My rear sits nicely almost flush on stock but the front has a gap.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #21
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
I have a 5” stepped g plus intercooler I got off of eBay. Install was pretty easy and I think the performance is pretty good...5-10 degree rise on a 3rd gear pull in south Louisiana summer...
Yeah looks like anyways the VRSF 5 " stepped or 7" are both same price. I guess I'm leaning more on 7".

To everyone, do you need to take the whole bumper off for intercooler trimming?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #22
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah looks like anyways the VRSF 5 " stepped or 7" are both same price. I guess I'm leaning more on 7".

To everyone, do you need to take the whole bumper off for intercooler trimming?
I ended up taking off the bumper cover for my 5” although i probably didn’t need to. I went the way I did because I wanted to use the stock connections...if I was gonna swap to larger connections I’d probably do what you’re talking about...
Appreciate 0