E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Ista-d_2.36_ista-p_2.5.40

02-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #155
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Copy the CFGDAT and SGDAT files from your INPA 5.0.2 install on your other laptop, and drop them in to the new one once you install BMW Standard Tools 2.12
I will give this a go and report back my results.

Quote:
Don't support the people selling pirated software, never pay for any of this stuff.
Believe me, I am trying to avoid that at all costs... but as I've already explained, I've spent months researching and searching and downloading and installing and reinstalling and reinstalling Windows, but I still haven't gotten INPA entirely working to my satisfaction. And then I went and researched and searched and downloaded many a DIS and EasyDIS and have never been able to get that to install at all.

There comes a point where I just want to read and write to my E90's modules, and not spend endless months and tireless hours learning the nuances of the OS, hardware, and software cobbling with no guarantee it would work; I'm not trying to build the ultimate PC or laptop or go through a lengthy education process of learning the intricacies of the Windows OS, which will be quickly forgotten anyways since I really wouldn't be exercising that new-found knowledge very much if I ever get a fully ISTA system running successfully. Again, my goal is to read/write to my E90 without having to major in Windows OS.

Now, I am very computer-literate and even an amateur shareware programmer, but I'm not a wiz with the intricate low-level workings of Windows OS itself. That means I certainly can comfortably work command lines, edit ini files, and move stuff about, so long as I'm given clear instructions to follow of where and how.

The issue is that forum and Google searches comes up with just too many hits: too much noise to filter, but not knowing which is noise and which is real or what works without having to run through exhaustive and time-consuming trial-and-error.

And then there is the software sources: let's admit that we are dealing with pirating software, period. So it's understandable that sources be protected, but that means it's so much more difficult for a n00b coming in to find and locate the right and fully functional software.

Quote:
There's a guide in this section for Windows 7 x86 that should be applicable for the most part to your x64 build which covers installing and configuring Standard Tools 2.12, as well as importing the necessary data from INPA 5.0.2.
Can you point to the specific guide? Again, I've come across too much noise and am unsure of what works and what doesn't, and I've followed many guides, from x86 to x64. At this point, it seems I will have to completely forgo x64 for x86 if I want to get a stable Win7 INPA setup going.

Quote:
Also, I strongly recommend either having a dedicated system for coding/diagnostics or a virtual machine. I wouldn't advise mixing all this stuff in with your normal software and files for performance and security reasons.
Yes, I already have that with my WinXP, but after reading this thread with an emphasis on capable hardware spec-wise and even specialized power supplies, this sounds like a lot more than buying a cheap second-hand laptop off Craigslist. Which is why it seems buying a fully turn-key setup from eBay for $900 sounds awfully tempting, if I have to buy a "new/newer" PC laptop anyways.

I really don't want to resort to that, but getting my hands on a solid software source is the first step, and setting up the hardware correctly is the second.

Last edited by Augster; 02-24-2014 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #156
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Here's the guide I was referencing: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918608

As for power, you can run the whole BMW Standard Tools suite on very weak hardware. Like, four-year-old-$300-when-brand-new-netbook weak. Even ISTA-D/ISTA-P can be run on weaker hardware now that cracked standalone copies are out that don't require emulating a full ISIS server. That said, ISTA is likely getting a step ahead of yourself, as chances are you won't be doing anything advanced enough t need it.

Personally, I say use the XP machine. Backup the INPA 5.0.2 files you need, then wipe it and do a clean install of XP SP3 and then BMW Standard Tools 2.12. Trust me, it's more than capable of handling it.

Oh, and I totally hear you on being computer literate and having trouble with this. I'm a systems admin with programming background and I had a hard time with this due to how inconsistent the information available is, and how high the signal to noise ratio is. There's a lot of conflicting "do this, do that" information out there with no explanation or insight to what is actually being done and what the underlying theory/data structure/workflow is. Very frustrating.
      02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #157
Tichx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tichx View Post
same here, I'm using Sensible's VM with ICOM Emulator, created a HP Dongle and am using K+DCAN cable...

only can find ICOM connector, what are we doing wrong?

much appreciated to the experts! ;-)

so close to getting this working!

cheers.
Bump....
      03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #158
Tichx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport

Upate

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydturbo View Post
I can find the icon connector and link to it but it does not read out the VIN. When I run the k+dcan utility I get an error:answer mismatch. Any ideas? I am using Sensibles image with built in icon emulator and using a real hp dongle. I am using a one stop dcan cable.
finally fixed this issue by comparing the ICOM VM and Sensibles VM with built in ICOM Emulator...

To get Sensibles VM working with "KDCAN USB cable" I added the following line in my obd.bat in C:\Ediabas,
c:\ediabas\InterfaceTool.exe KDCAN

sample file below..
__________________________________________________ _
@echo off
del /Q c:\ediabas\bin\ediabas.ini
copy /Y c:\ediabas\EDIABAS.INI.OBD c:\ediabas\bin\ediabas.ini
c:\ediabas\InterfaceTool.exe KDCAN
__________________________________________________ _

works a treat and reads my VIN etc!

now to fix my next errors when using ISTA/P:
94201 Technical service initialisation failed
10007 (CIP) - Error during initialisation for EDIABAS
94020 Determination of the vehicle context failed

any help appreciated!

Regards,

Tich.

To answer my own question above regarding the errors, found this on another forum...
"if you BMW is equipped with a MOST network. ISTA/P requires to see this connection before continuing with the session since ISTA/P uses MOST to access and program your MOST modules such as your CIC/MASK, CID, AMP, TCU, etc. Your K+DCAN connector does not have MOST access resulting in error. ISTA/P is not designed for modified INPA connectors therefore resulting in this error message.

ICOM Emulator was designed to connect ISID and ISTA/P to other hardware such as K+DCAN, ENET, and OPS without spending a few thousand dollars on an ICOM Clone back when they were first introduced on the market. It was successful and still is especially for the use with ISID or even ISTA/P when using OPS, ENET, or programming older vehicle pre-MOST. But unfortunately when it comes to MOST networks no way around it when using ISTA/P than purchase an ICOM

If not you will see this

An error roccurred on execution f the measure.

10007 (CIP) - Error during intitialistation of EDIABAS
94020 Determination of the vehicle context failed."

guess I need a cheap ICOM as I have MOST! ;-(

Last edited by Tichx; 03-03-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #159
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

request with ICOM VM

Hi - I'm using the ICOM VM (gini's snapshot) and I really appreciate these VM images but I am struggling to get the connection from this ISID VM and the ICOM EMU.

The ICOM isn't found by the your VM. I've tried various combos of source VMWare enet emu. plus tried exact configuration of this "BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with K+D-CAN USB cable configuration manual.pdf"

What isn't clear to me especially is whether ZGW Search is actually supposed to do anything. There's lots of notes that shows people showing some sort of interconnectivity.

I can ping from one VM to the other presumably via the vnet2.

Standalone my DCAN (One-stop-electronics) works direct with my direct install of Inpa, and NCSExpert, etc.

Any tips gratefully received.

P.s. I read tinkerman's thread elsewhere

Last edited by crypticc; 04-28-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #160
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post

Any tips gratefully received

The attached are some random screenshots of config when I tried overridding the vmware IP address ranges to match the ICOM VM IP in the ISID connection screen for presumably the pre-configured ICOM emu.

[Removed screen shots as now out of date with recent progress]

Last edited by crypticc; 05-27-2014 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: remove redundant screengrabs
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:41 AM   #161
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry for multiple posts. Am I supposed to delete c:/ediabas and rename c:/ediabas_new to replace it? The _new directory seems to have the files I would normally expect for an ediabas installation, e.g. ECU directory and so on. The other seems very pared down.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #162
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello

So I got the ICOM clone and dongle clone working. However, neither ISTA or even INPA connects. On debugging as I would if this were a native EDIABAS/ INPA installation I notice that the C:\EDIABAS installation is very slim and missing lots of files, including c:\EDIABAS\bin\odb.ini

I can see c:\EDIABAS_new directory that appears more complete including containing the odb.ini file in bin

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Should I be renaming the directories?

Kind regards
Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #163
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Quote:
Hello

So I got the ICOM clone and dongle clone working. However, neither ISTA or even INPA connects. On debugging as I would if this were a native EDIABAS/ INPA installation I notice that the C:\EDIABAS installation is very slim and missing lots of files, including c:\EDIABAS\bin\odb.ini

I can see c:\EDIABAS_new directory that appears more complete including containing the odb.ini file in bin

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Should I be renaming the directories?

Kind regards
Chris
As mentioned in the other forum the BMW Standard Tools installed in the ISID VM is only there for simple communications accessing programs like the interface handler. If you want to use INPA it should be installed natively onto your 64bit OS following applicable guidelines.

Again, the hard part seems done. You just need to do some troubleshooting with the Com port selections and perhaps FTDI driver for the cable.

Note that most guides for installing INPA suggest COM1. In my ISID VM setup though because the COM1&2 are taken up by other functions, I've been using COM9 for he ISID VM. Recently I changed the obd.ini file's Com port from 1 to 9 so I dont have to bother switching com ports whether I use The ISID VM or the native INPA installation.

Hang in there ur almost there!

Last edited by tinkerman; 05-16-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #164
herpnthederp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

I am new to this and have read through some threads, so bare with me. Hopefully I haven't overlooked a solution. I am trying to get this VM to work so my valvetronic motor can relearn the start and stop points.

I have downloaded:

a) This program torrent
b) icom emulator 3.0.3 f/ xxxxs://mega.co.nz/#!Q5Zn1RJQ and the PDF instructions "BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with K+D-CAN USB cable configuration manual"

Hardware:
Surface pro with VMware WS 10 (128 ssd, 4GB ram, 2 TB External HDD, 128GB usb stick)

K+Dcan usb cable (via Ebay, 34.95)

_____

I can get the ISTA client to load, but it doesnt do anything when i look at connections it shows it doesnt have a Icom connection. I followed the setup guide for Icom to a T, but wasn't sure if something has changed since that guide was written. I also notice it says to run 'Configure for OBD' , but that isnt in the emulator so i ran 'Configure for K-Dcan' and then Icom.. When i run Icom i get the pop-up below and haven't read where anyone else had mentioned that. Is that normal? I had been wondering if maybe i should buy a more expensive cable because i cant seem to get it work, my USB picks up on it, but the red light on the cable never stays on.

The VM's are running off of the external hdd

Thanks

Last night after reading more i was able to get icom to show up in the connection manager, ill be connecting it to my car to see if i can get anywhere later this week

Last edited by herpnthederp; 05-19-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #165
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpnthederp View Post
I am new to this and have read through some threads, so bare with me. Hopefully I haven't overlooked a solution. I am trying to get this VM to work so my valvetronic motor can relearn the start and stop points.

I have downloaded:

a) This program torrent
b) icom emulator 3.0.3 f/ xxxxs://mega.co.nz/#!Q5Zn1RJQ and the PDF instructions "BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with K+D-CAN USB cable configuration manual"

Hardware:
Surface pro with VMware WS 10 (128 ssd, 4GB ram, 2 TB External HDD, 128GB usb stick)

K+Dcan usb cable (via Ebay, 34.95)

_____

I can get the ISTA client to load, but it doesnt do anything when i look at connections it shows it doesnt have a Icom connection. I followed the setup guide for Icom to a T, but wasn't sure if something has changed since that guide was written. I also notice it says to run 'Configure for OBD' , but that isnt in the emulator so i ran 'Configure for K-Dcan' and then Icom.. When i run Icom i get the pop-up below and haven't read where anyone else had mentioned that. Is that normal? I had been wondering if maybe i should buy a more expensive cable because i cant seem to get it work, my USB picks up on it, but the red light on the cable never stays on.

The VM's are running off of the external hdd

Thanks

Last night after reading more i was able to get icom to show up in the connection manager, ill be connecting it to my car to see if i can get anywhere later this week

Hi herpnthederp,

that would suggest you are running an actual ICOM emu rather than either ICOM VM ready-installed post-dongle or ICOM as part of this VM which just needs a dongle in your usb port just b4 you run the ICOM emu.

Google Gini and Tinkerman dongle image instructions on creating a dongle using a real HP 8GB stick if you like. 15mins once you have the s/w installed and dead easy to do. Amazon has the required USB sticks.

You only need the dongle for a moment because you can create a VM snapshot post ICOM emu startup and it doesn't check for a dongle again.

lastly, this VM you are using includes the ICOM emu in the VM image itself so you do all the cable setup and app startup in one VM - I failed to be able to get this VM to talk with another standalone VM with ICOM emulator.

C
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #166
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Sensible, Tinkerman or anyone else who can shed some light on this...

[update - hello - what's this? working it seems!!!!!!!

maybe sensitive to order of connect/disconnect? the only other change I did was to copy odb.ini from ediabas_new/bin into ediabas/bin

I've repeated the steps I followed here to help diagnose (it might help others too who might not have reached this point):

0) prepare USB dongle per Tinkerman/Gini instructions.

1) host odb.ini > COM9. Device Mgr also set to COM9 and Latency 1

VM started
2) DCAN cable plugged in. assigned to VM. Original drivers uninstalled in VM device mgr. Re-installed using the .exe version that I'd placed on a USB stick. (incidentally the spare space on my dongle)
3) Unplug and re-plug cable.
3) VM ediabas/odb.ini > COM9. Device Mgr also set to COM9 and Latency 1
4) Ran D-CAN pronto and set to 500kb K+DCAN mode
5) Connect VM Network mgt second network interface (the one with the same MAC as the expected ICOM); waited for the red-text network reconfig warning to pass.
6) Disconnect VM Network Eh2; waited for the red-text network reconfig warning to pass.
7) ICOM emu started; ICOM successfully finds dongle.
8) IFH Svr started

[In theory from this point the VM is now talking to the cable]

9) Start ISTA-P (or ISTA-D).

Wait.... a long time.... pick icom... wait some more....
Attached Images

Last edited by crypticc; 05-26-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #167
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

ISTA-P Error technical service initialisation failed

Hello

So that was ISTA-D; which seems okayish

ISTA-P is showing this error part-way through the connection; even after a few attempts....

94201 - Technical service initialisation failed
10007 - (CIP) Error during initialisation of EDIABAS
94020 - Determination of the vehicle context failed.

The connection is then forcibly disconnected - any ideas thanks?

Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:00 AM   #168
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ISTA/P requires to see this connection before continuing with the session since ISTA/P uses MOST to access and program your MOST modules such as your CIC/MASK, CID, AMP, TCU, etc. Your K+DCAN connector does not have MOST access resulting in error. ISTA/P is not designed for modified INPA connectors therefore resulting in this error message.

ICOM Emulator was designed to connect ISID and ISTA/P to other hardware such as K+DCAN, ENET, and OPS without spending a few thousand dollars on an ICOM Clone back when they were first introduced on the market. It was successful and still is especially for the use with ISID or even ISTA/P when using OPS, ENET, or programming older vehicle pre-MOST. But unfortunately when it comes to MOST networks no way around it when using ISTA/P than purchase an ICOM

If not you will see this

An error roccurred on execution f the measure.

10007 (CIP) - Error during intitialistation of EDIABAS
94020 Determination of the vehicle context failed.

The Emu is not the same like an ICOM

I read the above but then I struggle to believe this as then surely I need not have bothered. All i am trying to do is add 6NR FSC code.

Last edited by crypticc; 05-27-2014 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #169
Robert_K
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Does anyone else have experience running ISTA on a Windows Surface Pro or other full Windows 8 capable tablet?

If so what additional hardware is required to work properly?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #170
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

can anybody reupload the rheingold ista on mega?

which version do i need if I have k-dcan cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #171
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Quote:
ISTA-P is showing this error part-way through the connection; even after a few attempts....

94201 - Technical service initialisation failed
10007 - (CIP) Error during initialisation of EDIABAS
94020 - Determination of the vehicle context failed.

The connection is then forcibly disconnected - any ideas thanks?

Chris
If I recall correctly I had the same or similar errors when I used a 64bit Windows 8.1 laptop.

If you are using a 64bit computer, and have installed the 64bit version of the FTDI driver (for the OBD cable) on the host OS, then delete the 64bit version and try installing the 32bit version on the host OS as well as in the VM's OS.

To install onto the VM's OS, first uninstall the existing driver, copy & paste the most recent driver file onto the VM's desktop then execute from within the VM.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #172
07chupacabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

If anyone want's it I'm uploading at pretty decent rates and I'll be seeding soon too. So if you want it I suggest getting on it! Speeds are pretty decent right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imachine999 View Post
Sensible_

Thanks for sharing, everything works perfectly for me.

One question, have you tried modifying ISTA P so that it allows the voltage to drop below 13 volts. I think it will be easier to mess with the software instead of getting real expensive PSUs.

What do you think, is it possible?

What about connecting a second running car to the BMW with Jumper Cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexopth1512 View Post
This is best ISIS - ISID thread I have seen.
I have found that practically no more than 8,2 GB is used by this VMWare client.
I have all VMs running on one home "PC", 8 core i7, 16GB RAM in total.
I have separate ISSS, ISIS server, ISID machines and they run perfectly

BTW. I have downloaded this vm image, not tested yet, but i ll still feed it

Do I need to be running ISSS, ISIS, and ISID for this to work ?

Last edited by 07chupacabra; 01-24-2015 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #173
07chupacabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Hey guys,

Where can I get the ICOM cable for the E92? Ebay and amazon seem to have plenty of them for the F series just none for the E series.

Also if you could point me in the right direction, all the way at the bottom is what I'm trying to do since the dealer won't do it for me due to being unfamiliar with it. Can you recomend what I need to buy for it and also if it is possible with your VM/could you verify?

Using ISTA/P P32.1 or a more recent version, select "Conversions" and then select "Wastegate valve
conversion". Follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall the original waste gate operation.
After the "Waste gate valve conversion" has been completed, some waste gate-related noise may be detected.

Thanks,
07 E92 335i, build date 05/07, VIN P036105, US Spec
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #174
sniffer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hello,

So I want to get started with this.

Can anyone tell me what I need to download as it is a bit confusing now after reading all the pages.

The original poster posted links to VM's which I am downloading, but later on some people posted links to other VM's which look to be on Russian sites - Rheingold 3.7.1 or something?

For clarity, what is the best software in this thread I should download to start getting this working?

Do any of them have the ICOM emulator included or do I need to deal with this separately? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #175
goff
///M Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Im in the same boat as sniffer ^^

Looking for a download for the software
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #176
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I can probably point you to any SW you need. Pointing you to the correct SW is something I cant be sure of.

So if you are more specific about what you need I can probably pm you with a dl site. Now you my need to get a membership for that site because some of the files are humungus.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0