E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Question for those who installed an Ssd into the Cic

09-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #1
Snoopy Singh
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E92 335D

Question for those who installed an Ssd into the Cic

Hey folks,

For several weeks I have been running the Zheino ssd in my Cic unit. It was cloned directly from the oem Toshiba using EaseUs Disk copy with 2x ide to usb adapters. The Zheino drive came out of the packaging with the jumper plugged into it and I left it attatched when cloning. Not sure if it would make any difference.

Anyways, although it works, there are random times when the Idrive display will go red and the system will reboot only to come back online with the nav function not available. If I then rebbot the cic manually holding in the mute button and reboot it a second time, all seems well again.

After interrogating the Cic using Dis, the error code reported by the cic was "Internal hdd hardware fault, currently not present". Although many are reporting success with this upgrade, it seems that its not as simple as swaping the disk.

Could those who have swaped to an ssd please report back and tell me how long their's have been running without issues.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Mine has been in (Zheino SSD) since may of this year no issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
mdlam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Cabriolet

I think you may have had a corruption in the Toshiba HDD or a imperfection in the data transfer. Have you tried reflashing from the Toshiba?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy Singh View Post
Hey folks,

For several weeks I have been running the Zheino ssd in my Cic unit. It was cloned directly from the oem Toshiba using EaseUs Disk copy with 2x ide to usb adapters. The Zheino drive came out of the packaging with the jumper plugged into it and I left it attatched when cloning. Not sure if it would make any difference.

Anyways, although it works, there are random times when the Idrive display will go red and the system will reboot only to come back online with the nav function not available. If I then rebbot the cic manually holding in the mute button and reboot it a second time, all seems well again.

After interrogating the Cic using Dis, the error code reported by the cic was "Internal hdd hardware fault, currently not present". Although many are reporting success with this upgrade, it seems that its not as simple as swaping the disk.

Could those who have swaped to an ssd please report back and tell me how long their's have been running without issues.

Thanks all
Hi,
I'm looking at removing my drive to make a backup then change to the same SSD everyone else is using for speedier start up, very interested how you get on (I'd certainly retry the copy but also possible you have a bad SSD if really unlucky?)

I guess you got the other issue fixed:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post18466810

How did you get to the drive? I also have an E92 and from the looks of it the hard drive location would be right behind the plastic trim panel at the bottom where some people have their heated seat buttons/front parking sensor button.

Is there any easy method to remove just that trim panel/any tabs etc to avoid etc - would much rather have a process for removing one small panel to get to the drive than ripping half the car apart and potentially introducing rattles etc when it all goes back together.
This panel: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/ad-d/...u7ra5.jpg.html

I've read that the CIC can start up OK with no HDD (without nav etc available of course), is it really essential to mess around disconnecting the battery etc or can I just wait for the car to go to sleep then remove the drive? Seems a lot less hassle and can't see how it would break anything unless I missed something?

Did you do a direct bit for bit copy of just clone it across?
Also interested if anyone has aligned the sectors on the SSD - direct bit for bit copy would leave them out of alignment, a 'clone' with newer drive copying software should align the sectors on the SSD properly but not sure if that then confuses the CIC unit - just wondering what process everyone has been following.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

That radio panel hooks under the climate panel, which hooks under the vent panel, which hooks under the wood trim. You don't need to remove the wood trim, just pull from the start button to the middle and that's enough to get the vents out. Everything just pulls straight out, if you pull really freakin' hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
That radio panel hooks under the climate panel, which hooks under the vent panel, which hooks under the wood trim. You don't need to remove the wood trim, just pull from the start button to the middle and that's enough to get the vents out. Everything just pulls straight out, if you pull really freakin' hard.
So it's not possible to remove the small plastic panel at the bottom in E92 without removing the vents and panel around the main CIC unit? that seems crazy to have to remove so much, looks like it should just unclip if you could get sufficient leverage to get it off (think someone suggested dash panel hooks in a thread somewhere - eg www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182080135706 ). I'm really not comfortable removing vents etc to do this, chance of introducing annoying rattles and creaks etc is just too high, looking like my SSD upgrade plan is dead before it even started. Does anyone have any pictures of how this piece attaches, the location of clips etc to 100% confirm removal of just this panel is impossible even with dash panel hooks? Would be nice to see exactly what the problem is :(
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Snoopy Singh
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E92 335D

undecided1, I'm not sure if its going to be worth it in the end. Many others have reported success, but for me it didn't work at all.

I actually bought 2 Zheino ssd's to be sure it wasn't a faulty drive, used about 6 different programs to clone (paid versions not freeware), exact bit by bit cloning and nothing worked. Well it worked one minute and not the next. It was totally random, start the car idrive comes online everything good then all of a sudden red screen and reboot to have nav greyed out. Both Zheino's did the same thing even after using various cloning softwares and various settings etc.

For me the most important thing was to have backup of idrive because I plan on keeping my car for the long run. In the end I cloned the original Toshiba onto a Fujitsu 120gb 5400rpm Hdd and it has been working flawlessly ever since. I then cloned onto a second Hdd this time a Hitachi and again that also work great so now I have two backups and the original is safe in storage.

The fact that my swap is working great with the normal mechanical Hdd tells me that there was nothing wrong with my cloning methods or software and that my Cic unit is just not compatible with an ssd drive. I cant explain why its working for others, maybe it has something to do with the Cic firmware version. Mine is on the latest firmware C1A I think.

If you still wish to carry on then I'm afraid you will have to remove some of the trim to gain access to the hdd slot on the Cic unit. There are plenty of guides on how to go about this online, a quick search should sort you out. You don't have to fully remove the trim with the vents and start button etc, just slide it out far enough so that you can get your fingers in behind the heater control panel to unclip it. Disconnect this and move it out the way then you will notice that you can now gain access to unclip the Cic surrounding trim. Once this is removed you will notice the slot for the Hdd on the faceplate of the unit held in by 2 T9 torque's screws. Remove these and gently slide out the tray by applying equal pressure on both side's. Once the tray is out, it will be pretty obvious how the disk is mounted to the tray.

I would recommend you disconnect the battery and not reconnect until everyhting is built up.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy Singh View Post
undecided1, I'm not sure if its going to be worth it in the end. Many others have reported success, but for me it didn't work at all.

I actually bought 2 Zheino ssd's to be sure it wasn't a faulty drive, used about 6 different programs to clone (paid versions not freeware), exact bit by bit cloning and nothing worked. Well it worked one minute and not the next. It was totally random, start the car idrive comes online everything good then all of a sudden red screen and reboot to have nav greyed out. Both Zheino's did the same thing even after using various cloning softwares and various settings etc.

For me the most important thing was to have backup of idrive because I plan on keeping my car for the long run. In the end I cloned the original Toshiba onto a Fujitsu 120gb 5400rpm Hdd and it has been working flawlessly ever since. I then cloned onto a second Hdd this time a Hitachi and again that also work great so now I have two backups and the original is safe in storage.

The fact that my swap is working great with the normal mechanical Hdd tells me that there was nothing wrong with my cloning methods or software and that my Cic unit is just not compatible with an ssd drive. I cant explain why its working for others, maybe it has something to do with the Cic firmware version. Mine is on the latest firmware C1A I think.

If you still wish to carry on then I'm afraid you will have to remove some of the trim to gain access to the hdd slot on the Cic unit. There are plenty of guides on how to go about this online, a quick search should sort you out. You don't have to fully remove the trim with the vents and start button etc, just slide it out far enough so that you can get your fingers in behind the heater control panel to unclip it. Disconnect this and move it out the way then you will notice that you can now gain access to unclip the Cic surrounding trim. Once this is removed you will notice the slot for the Hdd on the faceplate of the unit held in by 2 T9 torque's screws. Remove these and gently slide out the tray by applying equal pressure on both side's. Once the tray is out, it will be pretty obvious how the disk is mounted to the tray.

I would recommend you disconnect the battery and not reconnect until everyhting is built up.
Thanks for the reply, definitely not possible to remove just the bottom panel section then from the sounds of it, poor design when it could have been such an easy job to access the drive My main reason for wanting this done was to get a copy of the drive, replacing the whole CIC unit just because of a HDD fault sounds extremely expensive and upgrading to a faster drive while in there just seemed sensible given the small costs involved - bit worrying to hear you had those issues with the SSD but not with mechanical drives though - the only 'red screen' threads I read seemed to be due to CIC units getting progressively more faulty but if it works perfectly with non SSD drives there could be more going on. I had the whole car updated to latest software about 4 weeks ago, not sure if the CIC firmware was updated but car is June 2013 so could easily have been on the latest already I suppose. I'm near the end of my warranty now and whilst I'll probably get the extended warranty for another year I'd still really like the safety of a drive backup (I work in IT and have seen many hard drives fail over the years, it's only a matter of time really).

I'm a bit stuck now, looking through some of the dash rattle threads a lot of the creaks and rattles are blamed on the trim panels and I'm not sure it's worth the risk at the moment. I'll keep this in mind though and maybe after a year if I decide not to continue with warranty (or the car starts creaking and rattling so badly there's not much to lose) I'll have a go then.

thanks
Appreciate 0