E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

12-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #1299
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I dont have the 500 dollars for the drive. Do you know anyone closer. Thanks
Unfortunately not, I'd check on Autopia.org for some suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #1300
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Unfortunately not, I'd check on Autopia.org for some suggestions.
Thanks
      12-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #1301
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Got a couple questions; I'm new into detailing so pleeeease!

So now I can consider myself as "ready to get into detailing". I've always wanted to know more about how to get that sparkling finish on my car, but never went further then finding the good soap/wax. Being a detail guy, my car is always sparkling clean (And I never did anything other then a wash; basically). So I've thought that I could get some crazy results if I had the knowledge to take this to another level.

I've bought my self a PC and some Menzerna products (Polish, glaze, scellant), 3 or 4 of every kind of 4" pads that could be found), a clay kit with quick detailer and some other usual products (goo gone, tirestuff, etc...)

Is there a guide or a topic like those books "Detailing for dumbs?) Not that I consider myself dumb (well 90% of the time at least), but I like when the things are well explained and dont get too technical at first.

Can you guys help me finding this kind of guide?

Also, my parking space lies right beneath a couple trees and i'm wondering if I should find a garage to rent to do my polishing or the dust flying from the trees cant do any harm to my clearcoat?

Thanks for helping.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #1302
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

So now I can consider myself as "ready to get into detailing". I've always wanted to know more about how to get that sparkling finish on my car, but never went further then finding the good soap/wax. Being a detail guy, my car is always sparkling clean (And I never did anything other then a wash; basically). So I've thought that I could get some crazy results if I had the knowledge to take this to another level.

I've bought my self a PC and some Menzerna products (Polish, glaze, scellant), 3 or 4 of every kind of 4" pads that could be found), a clay kit with quick detailer and some other usual products (goo gone, tirestuff, etc...)

Is there a guide or a topic like those books "Detailing for dumbs?) Not that I consider myself dumb (well 90% of the time at least), but I like when the things are well explained and dont get too technical at first.

Also, my parking space lies right beneath a couple trees and i'm wondering if I should find a garage to rent to do my polishing or the dust flying from the trees cant do any harm to my clearcoat?

Thanks for helping.
Between this Auto Detailing Guide and the detailed articles in the Ask A Pro Blog that's about everything you need to know. It's explained perfectly, and while many hardcore pros can (and will) debate methods, products and techniques for hours on end, this gives you good relevant information. It's a foundation and for most people getting into detailing as a DIY hobby, all the information is there. Read and learn from those two sources before diving into the often-intimidating detailing forums or often-assbackwards Youtube.

As long as it's not pollen season, you should be able to detail outside without much of a problem. If you see particulates setting up shop on your paint as you're out there working, you might want to find another spot. A garage is ideal, but maybe you can pickup one of those EZ-UP tents? Even a small one should be enough to work on several sections of the car at a time.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #1303
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

Thanks for helping.
Jopa pointed you in the right direction for your guides (Thanks Jopa). If you have any other questions after doing some reading and research, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ideally, you don't want to polish over dust as it could create some minor imperfections that may need to be repolished. Dust will only contaminate your pads and give you less than ideal results. If you can find a place to work under, I'd opt for that.

Good luck on your detail!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #1304
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Thanks guys!

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #1305
macboi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
I wonder if it's too late to catch up.. 60 pages sure is a lot to read. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #1306
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboi View Post
I wonder if it's too late to catch up.. 60 pages sure is a lot to read. Lol
If you want some organized content, check out our Ask a Pro Blog and our Auto Detailing Guide. Those will get you going in the right direction without sifting page by page through this thread. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #1307
jshutchens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I am looking for the best product and way to get snow salt off rims, underbody, and engine compartment what would you recommend.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #1308
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshutchens View Post
I am looking for the best product and way to get snow salt off rims, underbody, and engine compartment what would you recommend.
If you're looking for something that you can spray on and wipe off, then I'd use something like Optimum Opti-Clean or a QD ratio of Optimum No Rinse. Both of these options will be able to safely clean all of those areas while minimizing marring when used properly.

That's how I'd tackle it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #1309
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

I glazed, sealed and waxed my car about 2 months ago, but It's been raining like crazy in SoCal. I know that process is supposed to last up to 6 months.

Should I repeat the process once it stops raining?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #1310
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
I glazed, sealed and waxed my car about 2 months ago, but It's been raining like crazy in SoCal. I know that process is supposed to last up to 6 months.

Should I repeat the process once it stops raining?
You could put a fresh coat of wax on the paint since that probably won't last more than 4 - 8 weeks. This will help boost the gloss and add some more protection, but the underlying protection of the sealant should still be on your paint.

If you were approaching 4 months or longer, then I'd probably suggest stripping everything off and starting with a fresh coat of everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #1311
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
You could put a fresh coat of wax on the paint since that probably won't last more than 4 - 8 weeks. This will help boost the gloss and add some more protection, but the underlying protection of the sealant should still be on your paint.

If you were approaching 4 months or longer, then I'd probably suggest stripping everything off and starting with a fresh coat of everything.
Thanks!! Can you suggest a car wash and wheel cleaner. My Griots is about to finish and don't know if I should buy it again.

Edit: Also clay bar!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #1312
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
Thanks!! Can you suggest a car wash and wheel cleaner. My Griots is about to finish and don't know if I should buy it again.

Edit: Also clay bar!
I'd recommend a fine grade clay bar for a regular cleaning. If your car is heavily contaminated, has sap, overspray, tar, etc. then you could go with a medium grade clay bar. If you need a clay bar lubricant, some good options are Optimum Instant Detailer or Dodo Juice Born Slippy. Both products are concentrated so you get great bang for the buck, I'd pick up a spray bottle if you don't have one available.

For a maintenance car wash, check out Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II. It's a great sudsing shampoo and gentle on your protective coats. Another nice maintenance shampoo is either Dodo Juice shampoo. These are low sudsing, high lubricity shampoos that very concentrated but effective.

If you have aftermarket wheels or a polished finish, I'd suggest going with P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner as our safest pH balanced wheel cleaner. Otherwise, I like going with Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel Cleaner for a more cost effective option.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #1313
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have black sapphire metallic. What wax and pads do you recomend?
      01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #1314
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have black sapphire metallic. What wax and pads do you recomend?
If you are looking for a one step process I'd suggest a sealant over a wax since they protect far longer than a wax. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. Both offer outstanding protection and a great shine that makes any color look awesome. They apply and remove with ease as well. Any foam applicator will work great, I really like the Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad. I hand remove every product with a quality microfiber towel like the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel or the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel. If you think you would prefer a wax instead just let me know and I'll outline some suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #1315
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are looking for a one step process I'd suggest a sealant over a wax since they protect far longer than a wax. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. Both offer outstanding protection and a great shine that makes any color look awesome. They apply and remove with ease as well. Any foam applicator will work great, I really like the Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad. I hand remove every product with a quality microfiber towel like the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel or the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel. If you think you would prefer a wax instead just let me know and I'll outline some suggestions.
Thanks for the help. If i wanted to do a two step could i use wax and sealent?
      01-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #1316
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help. If i wanted to do a two step could i use wax and sealent?
Yes in fact I love using both. I use the sealant first because it's generally far more durable. Then I layer the wax on top for some extra gloss and protection. If you have any questions or if you'd like a recommendation let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #1317
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes in fact I love using both. I use the sealant first because it's generally far more durable. Then I layer the wax on top for some extra gloss and protection. If you have any questions or if you'd like a recommendation let me know.
Recommendation would be great, I guess best wax and sealent and pads
      01-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #1318
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

I really love the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant for a sealant. Both last really long, provide strong protection, look outstanding while easy to apply.

For waxes on dark paint I really like the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax which is also a great value for such a high quality wax. It designed for darker colors so they look really glossy and "wet". If you are willing to spend a bit more the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard wax is an awesome choice. It's also designed for darker colors and offers really strong protection along with that really deep and glossy appearance.

I apply both waxes and sealants by hand with a foam applicator. I love the Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad but a traditional yellow foam applicator (DI Accessories Foam Applicator Pad) works just fine. Make sure you have a separate applicator for each product. I hand remove the excess product with a clean microfiber towel. The DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel is a great towel and you can get three of these free with a purchase over $50 (see homepage of our site for details). If you really want to spoil your car use the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel. It's an outstanding towel that provides amazing results every time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #1319
135IKP
Rep
Drives:

Can someone please recommend a good detailer in the Bay Area (preferably the Peninsula or South Bay).

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #1320
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IKP View Post
Can someone please recommend a good detailer in the Bay Area (preferably the Peninsula or South Bay).

Thank you.
The closest I know of is in Fremont, which is http://www.acdetailing.net. Aaron does great work there!
Appreciate 0