E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Add A2DP Stereo Bluetooth to E90 via AUX Port

05-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
Blue3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Here's a viable A2DP option. Small, never needs to be charged as it is directly powered by your car. Just sync once and just listen to your streamed music. Only down side is that when you get a phone call, the call is not transferred to your speakers. The call simply goes to your phone. When you're done however the music goes right back to the car's speakers. I've been using for almost a year now.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Blu.../dp/B0025KV6KG

In case the link doesn't work, google "Blackberry Gateway"
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
BlackBerry Stereo Gateway
iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 Jailbroken and Unlocked.

CD quality audio over bluetooth.
Music fades out and car's bluetooth picks up the call. When it's donw the music fades back on where it left off.
About $40 shipped from Amazon.

I don't know how many times I have mentioned this on this forum....at least 20 or 30 times. Search guys, SEARCH.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue3 View Post
Here's a viable A2DP option. Small, never needs to be charged as it is directly powered by your car. Just sync once and just listen to your streamed music. Only down side is that when you get a phone call, the call is not transferred to your speakers. The call simply goes to your phone. When you're done however the music goes right back to the car's speakers. I've been using for almost a year now.

In case the link doesn't work, google "Blackberry Gateway"
I didn't see this before i posted. You can't select the BB stereo gateway as an option when you're in the car? I have bluetooth in my car for calls so that's why mine works. But when I'm making a call, or taking one, I can choose which source I want to use...BMW, iPhone, Speaker.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
andy92782
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner 4x4 V8

Question regarding the Blackberry Gateway (and potentially the Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth for that matter):

I have a Blackberry 9650 which is A2DP capable. Currently, I use this for Bluetooth phone capability in my '07 335i w/ iDrive. Is it possible to use one of these A2DP adapters to stream audio from my Blackberry, and yet at the same time have the phone be connected to the BMW's audio system for phone calls? I know the LiquidAUX also supports the hands-free profile but obviously I'd rather use the BMW's connection for that. I guess another way of asking the question is whether or not it's possible for the Blackberry to establish two simultaneous Bluetooth connections (one hands-free profile connection to the BMW and a second A2DP connection to either the Blackberry Gateway or the LiquidAUX).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92782 View Post
Question regarding the Blackberry Gateway (and potentially the Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth for that matter):

I have a Blackberry 9650 which is A2DP capable. Currently, I use this for Bluetooth phone capability in my '07 335i w/ iDrive. Is it possible to use one of these A2DP adapters to stream audio from my Blackberry, and yet at the same time have the phone be connected to the BMW's audio system for phone calls? I know the LiquidAUX also supports the hands-free profile but obviously I'd rather use the BMW's connection for that. I guess another way of asking the question is whether or not it's possible for the Blackberry to establish two simultaneous Bluetooth connections (one hands-free profile connection to the BMW and a second A2DP connection to either the Blackberry Gateway or the LiquidAUX).
Yes. I my iPhone 3GS pairs to both my car and the BB stereo gateway. When calls come in, the music fades out and the car picks it up. When the call is done, the music fades back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

So, it's August 2010, and I stumbled upon this thread.

Is there any better solution now for an a2dp reciever -> aux jack device ?

I have an android phone, and want to stream pandora to a receiver that plugs into my Aux in jack in my 335i.

One concern I have is this - the 335i has bluetooth phone connectivity.
I wonder if my android can connect to bluetooth phone (to the car), while connecting to bluetooth audio (to the aux in device).

Anyone know of a solution? I want to have both phone and audio functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Any of these products any good for my goals?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8422

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Two-Way-B...p_ob_e_title_0
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post

I have an android phone, and want to stream pandora to a receiver that plugs into my Aux in jack in my 335i.

I wonder if my android can connect to bluetooth phone (to the car), while connecting to bluetooth audio (to the aux in device).

It may be a bit phone dependent but yes, it does that with both my BB Tour and my BB Bold.

The phone will sync up to your bluetooth in your car AND to the BB gateway. The Gateway plugs into your aux port and the USB port (for power)

Select AUX to listen to music stored on your phone. When a call comes it it mutes, switches to phone. Then it switches back.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #31
jjoseph7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post

I actually just switched from the BB stereo gateway to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Ultim...9&sr=8-1-spell

It as all the features of the BB gateway (a2dp streaming to aux), but also has:

-It's own aux-in, in case you want to quickly listen to a non-A2DP streaming device (such as someone else's ipod etc without having to first disconnect what's already plugged in)

-a USB port (plays music off of USB flash drives, or can be used for charging)

- an SD card reader (plays music off of SD cards)

It has an FM transmitter but obviously you won't be using it if you have an aux-in, you'll just connect it directly to the aux input via its 3.5mm output. It also can manage calls with its own mic, but again you dont have to use this and instead can pair with your BMW bluetooth to handle calls (what I do)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoseph7 View Post
I actually just switched from the BB stereo gateway to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Ultim...9&sr=8-1-spell

It as all the features of the BB gateway (a2dp streaming to aux), but also has:

-It's own aux-in, in case you want to quickly listen to a non-A2DP streaming device (such as someone else's ipod etc without having to first disconnect what's already plugged in)

-a USB port (plays music off of USB flash drives, or can be used for charging)

- an SD card reader (plays music off of SD cards)

It has an FM transmitter but obviously you won't be using it if you have an aux-in, you'll just connect it directly to the aux input via its 3.5mm output. It also can manage calls with its own mic, but again you dont have to use this and instead can pair with your BMW bluetooth to handle calls (what I do)
Damn nice find.

So if this module can handle calls as well...how do you make the phone direct calls to the BMW bluetooth system and music to the AUX port? Or does it do it automatically?

I may have to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #33
jjoseph7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Damn nice find.

So if this module can handle calls as well...how do you make the phone direct calls to the BMW bluetooth system and music to the AUX port? Or does it do it automatically?

I may have to upgrade
Yeah I actually bought it for my girlfriend's g35 which doesn't have an aux-in, and then ended up picking another one for myself when I realized that using the FM transmitter isn't even necessary. So now I leave a 3.5mm cable hidden under the armrest, and if someone wants to hook up their ipod or what not it's more convenient, but I still have the convenience of wireless streaming from my phone. Also being able to just leave a loaded up flash drive/SD card has been nice.

Since the BMW bluetooth doesn't handle A2DP, when you have both paired to your phone (iPhone in my case) music goes to the soundfly by default.

I am also pretty sure that with my iPhone, calls are handled by the BMW handsfree by default rather than the soundfly (maybe since the BMW is is handsfree only? or because I had the BMW paired first?). I just got this thing a week or so before I headed out of town for a while, will be back this weekend and will let you know more details on how it works if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #34
andy92782
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner 4x4 V8

I just got around to installing the BB Gateway in my '07 335i (no 6FL/USB) a few days ago. I'm amazed at how well it works. It syncs up quickly with my BlackBerry 9650 when getting in the car and it coexists perfectly with the car's built in phone Bluetooth. The music pauses when someone calls and resumes immediately after hanging up.

I set the left-side launch button on my BB to immediately bring up the music player when I press it. Then I just pick "Shuffle Songs" and I'm on my way!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #35
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

I'm interested...did the calls get routed to the handsfree by default. May have have to pony up for this unless someone else has a more cost effective solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoseph7 View Post
Yeah I actually bought it for my girlfriend's g35 which doesn't have an aux-in, and then ended up picking another one for myself when I realized that using the FM transmitter isn't even necessary. So now I leave a 3.5mm cable hidden under the armrest, and if someone wants to hook up their ipod or what not it's more convenient, but I still have the convenience of wireless streaming from my phone. Also being able to just leave a loaded up flash drive/SD card has been nice.

Since the BMW bluetooth doesn't handle A2DP, when you have both paired to your phone (iPhone in my case) music goes to the soundfly by default.

I am also pretty sure that with my iPhone, calls are handled by the BMW handsfree by default rather than the soundfly (maybe since the BMW is is handsfree only? or because I had the BMW paired first?). I just got this thing a week or so before I headed out of town for a while, will be back this weekend and will let you know more details on how it works if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #36
jonas9000
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i Coupé 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnya1306 View Post
Just got the Kensington LiquidAUX to use with the ipod in the console. The model posted above is a Bluetooth adapter. I got the ipod/iphone 3g model http://us.kensington.com/html/14492.html
The power connector clears the lid just fine and the included wireless remote (which you can remove from the cheesy steering wheel attachment) works well.
Holding down the pause button will shut off the ipod and the sound level/quality is better (obviously) than the FM transmitter I was using previously.

Hope this helps,
John
So it fits in the box between front seat in a E92 335i BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #37
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Ive been using a BB gateway in my E90 for a few weeks now; this item isn't sold in Canada yet but you can get one with little trouble. It works great with my Bold 9000, pauses when I receive a call and resumes when I hand up.

Ive also paired it wilth my PSPGo and iTouch Gen 4 and it works with both.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #38
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Iphone 4 plus blackberry gateway is magic. Calls work as expected even while playing streaming music. Nice...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #39
knivez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice find. Looks like i'll be getting this soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #40
rs_philly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Monaco Blue

blackberry bluetooth gateway

as others have indicated, the blackberry bluetooth gateway works beautifully. I have an iphone 4 that connects to both the blackberry gateway and the car's bluetooth. its $ 40 from amazon, although that doesnt include the power supply - you will need a mini usb car charger (or a usb charger and a usb-mini-usb cable - you can get these for $ 1.50 each on ebay). love this product!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #41
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

just got the bb gateway myself and it's awesome. no need to plug in an ugly and unwieldy aux cable into my phone anymore and the sound is perfect. Just make sure you get a very compact car charger so you can fit it in the armrest. I went w/ the griffin powerjolt dual micro and a usb to mini usb cable. with it, i can power the gateway and if necessary my iphone at the same time. YIPPEE!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #42
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

oh and btw, the wifi receiver from my phone was interfering w/ the bluetooth connection and resulting in frequent cut-outs in my music. just had to disable wifi and now it's perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #43
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet movie theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
just got the bb gateway myself and it's awesome. no need to plug in an ugly and unwieldy aux cable into my phone anymore and the sound is perfect. Just make sure you get a very compact car charger so you can fit it in the armrest. I went w/ the griffin powerjolt dual micro and a usb to mini usb cable. with it, i can power the gateway and if necessary my iphone at the same time. YIPPEE!
How is the sound quality of the BB gateway vs plugging directly into AUX?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #44
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Do you get the IPhone track names etc on the IDrive with the BB Gateway?
Appreciate 0