E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil Catch Can for the 2006 N52

11-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Mine didn't fit, both straight and a flex head.
It is better to have the tool ready that you know will will work for sure than risk to be stuck in the middle of the job.

And I am not the only one, wind to time 21:52 :
perhaps dependent on transmission?

I had 0 issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #24
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I like the torn foam line casing around the crankcase breather in the preview shot. SOOOOOOO typical of any car that's been worked on.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #25
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I like the torn foam line casing around the crankcase breather in the preview shot. SOOOOOOO typical of any car that's been worked on.
lol.

allegedly the valve cover gasket was done on my car,

that hose is held together with heater hose and worm clamps.

valve cover leaks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #26
GreenMeansGo
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yup, I have taken into consideration that the engine is not as fresh as when it was new. It originally had 0 oil consumption when new and slowly increased in consumption to about 1L every 10,000 miles (it's currently about 1L per thousand miles). Then around 221,000 the consumption almost doubled within in one OCI. being that was the same time the oil life monitor goes defunct, I thought the oil useage was related to the oil level/quality sensor not being read correctly by the ECU. I verified the reported level by measuring the oil drain of the next oil change. Being the car geek I am, I've kept written records of every fuel fill since 3 miles, so I have excellent fuel consumption data to evaluate the health of the engine. My average MPG has not significantly dropped over time, so if there is oil ring wear causing a higher consumption, I'd expect a commensurate wear of the compression rings and higher fuel consumption. I'm not driving any slower I can tell you that. Next time I pull the plugs, I plan on doing a compression and leak-down test just for curiosity sake.

Thinking replacement of the CCV (or a catch can) is far cheaper than an engine teardown to evaluate internal engine wear, I'm starting with refurbishment of the crankcase vent/oil separation system.

Were you able to find a good DIY for CCV replacement on a 2006 n52? I’m scouring the forums and coming up empty
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeansGo View Post
Were you able to find a good DIY for CCV replacement on a 2006 n52? I’m scouring the forums and coming up empty
Nope, I never found a good aftermarket CCV replacement for the N52. I plan on just replacing the CCV with OE.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0