E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Vintage I-drive question

01-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
fleet
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Vintage I-drive question

I recently bought a '07 e91 328xi that came from an insurance auction. I have been out of the BMW game since I sold my 85 e28, a 528e, in the late 90's. The I-drive system is completely new to me.

as far as the car goes, I replaced a few badly leaking gaskets, a few sensors, and some other random bits, and the car now runs beautifully, I'm running it as my non-work related daily. My problem with I-drive follows:

I believe I currently have the CCC system.At some point, if I get more software savvy, I may consider upgrading to CIC or better, for now I would just like to get what I have working correctly.

My I-Drive system is currently either:
-shutting down/rebooting while the car is in operation-
or
-failing to start when I start the car, resulting in a delayed boot by the time I've driven a few miles.

If I'm not wearing a seat-belt, when the I-Drive reboots I get the seatbelt chime and the green SOS light blink. Not sure whether they are all on the same circuit, or if SOS light and SB chime are part of I-Drive, but figured I'd mention it.

There are some other issues when the system is operational, however, I think my controller is "gummy" internally, and will be removing and attempting to clean it. I don't think the boot/reboot issues are related to the gummy controller, but I really know next to nothing about this system.

At some point I'll have to buy a new Nav disk off e-bay (or figure out how to download/burn one)

I've searched here, and read a fair amount of the CCC threads, but either haven't seen (or I just missed) anything pertaining to this, unless my only options is replacing capacitors.

Thanks in advance-
Fleet
      01-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleet View Post
I recently bought a '07 e91 328xi that came from an insurance auction. I have been out of the BMW game since I sold my 85 e28, a 528e, in the late 90's. The I-drive system is completely new to me.

as far as the car goes, I replaced a few badly leaking gaskets, a few sensors, and some other random bits, and the car now runs beautifully, I'm running it as my non-work related daily. My problem with I-drive follows:

I believe I currently have the CCC system.At some point, if I get more software savvy, I may consider upgrading to CIC or better, for now I would just like to get what I have working correctly.

My I-Drive system is currently either:
-shutting down/rebooting while the car is in operation-
or
-failing to start when I start the car, resulting in a delayed boot by the time I've driven a few miles.

If I'm not wearing a seat-belt, when the I-Drive reboots I get the seatbelt chime and the green SOS light blink. Not sure whether they are all on the same circuit, or if SOS light and SB chime are part of I-Drive, but figured I'd mention it.

There are some other issues when the system is operational, however, I think my controller is "gummy" internally, and will be removing and attempting to clean it. I don't think the boot/reboot issues are related to the gummy controller, but I really know next to nothing about this system.

At some point I'll have to buy a new Nav disk off e-bay (or figure out how to download/burn one)

I've searched here, and read a fair amount of the CCC threads, but either haven't seen (or I just missed) anything pertaining to this, unless my only options is replacing capacitors.

Thanks in advance-
Fleet
Unless you can find a cheap replacement CCC unit a lot of the time it is worth it to spend $600-$700 on a CIC retrofit kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
fleet
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Unless you can find a cheap replacement CCC unit a lot of the time it is worth it to spend $600-$700 on a CIC retrofit kit.
So, no fixing the CCC? Symptoms (as listed) indicate terminal issues, or at least beyond simple repair?

BTW, I have read a lot of your DIY or "Attempting to" threads (CA, Active Cruise, CIC, etc) thanks for all the DIY both mechanically and coding wise.

Pretty much anytime I am facing needing a single part that costs in excess of $500, I'm shopping for a parts car. It looks like with the e9x platform, if I go that route, at least for electronics I am going to have to learn to code parts to the car. I've got more acreage than common sense.

EDIT: PS_ thanks for the quick reply
      01-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleet View Post
So, no fixing the CCC? Symptoms (as listed) indicate terminal issues, or at least beyond simple repair?

BTW, I have read a lot of your DIY or "Attempting to" threads (CA, Active Cruise, CIC, etc) thanks for all the DIY both mechanically and coding wise.

Pretty much anytime I am facing needing a single part that costs in excess of $500, I'm shopping for a parts car. It looks like with the e9x platform, if I go that route, at least for electronics I am going to have to learn to code parts to the car. I've got more acreage than common sense.

EDIT: PS_ thanks for the quick reply
+1 on the parts car. That is how I got my E90 CIC/combox. I needed the dash and wiring so parts car was much easier.

Your CCC nav disk is pretty easy to find if you search around. You can download the Professional North American ISO. There is one for the east and one for the west. The last update was from 2015.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

You can, if you shop smartly, procure a CiC, CiD, USB port and cabling for probably under $400 at this point. You can run the CiC with your current CCC controller. Though sometimes you can find someone selling the trim piece and controller for under $150.

I just picked up a second CiC for some experimentation for under $100 last week. And if you can get in good with a recycler/scrap yard, you might be able to get everything very cheap.

Hint on the CiC... find the latest one you can. They put them into 3 series cars up into 2013. Preferably HW42 on the front label. That should have the C1A firmware/software embed.
Appreciate 2
Nickco431457.50
de Witt18.00
      01-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Subscribed . . . have the same issues with my CCC unit. Considering Logic7 repair service, but if CIC can be had with some savvy procurement as Greyfox mentioned, might as well go that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
Subscribed . . . have the same issues with my CCC unit. Considering Logic7 repair service, but if CIC can be had with some savvy procurement as Greyfox mentioned, might as well go that route.

Shameless plug I sell CIC kits that cost a few hundred dollars over a CCC repair.

Appreciate 1
de Witt18.00
      01-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Shameless plug I sell CIC kits that cost a few hundred dollars over a CCC repair.
I appreciate the plug, I will go with your kit as I want OE. Im planning on doing this sometime in late FEB when I have some leave and can dedicate a few days to getting it done.

Does your kit come with the K+DCAN usb interface or is that a separate purchase? I do not have any of the modern BMW diagnosing software, Im a long time owner of E28s and E34s with one E60 sprinkled in, so I need to figure out that piece as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
I appreciate the plug, I will go with your kit as I want OE. Im planning on doing this sometime in late FEB when I have some leave and can dedicate a few days to getting it done.

Does your kit come with the K+DCAN usb interface or is that a separate purchase? I do not have any of the modern BMW diagnosing software, Im a long time owner of E28s and E34s with one E60 sprinkled in, so I need to figure out that piece as well.
The kit includes the K+D can cable and the software install if needed. Non combox kits are 100% pnp.
Appreciate 0