E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > OEM camera retrofit?

01-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
OEM camera retrofit?

After doing a *lot* of searching, I've been coming up empty.
It seems a lot of people retrofit a reverse camera with the cheap Chinese handle/camera combo units on ebay.

I'd like to use an OEM camera from an F series car, which appears to also be integrated into the F series trunk handle, since that will work reliably with the F series NBT Evo ID5/6 navigation system.

Has anyone done this? I already have the OEM camera interface module, but haven't bought a camera or cabling yet.

Another option is to buy one of the chinese cameras and use a dremel to cut out the crappy camera to replace it with an OEM one. That seems a little drastic, but maybe is the right option?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
After doing a *lot* of searching, I've been coming up empty.
It seems a lot of people retrofit a reverse camera with the cheap Chinese handle/camera combo units on ebay.

I'd like to use an OEM camera from an F series car, which appears to also be integrated into the F series trunk handle, since that will work reliably with the F series NBT Evo ID5/6 navigation system.

Has anyone done this? I already have the OEM camera interface module, but haven't bought a camera or cabling yet.

Another option is to buy one of the chinese cameras and use a dremel to cut out the crappy camera to replace it with an OEM one. That seems a little drastic, but maybe is the right option?
You need a icam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Retrofi...53.m1438.l2649
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
p1zaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic

how exactly do you run this to the screen, do you need additional parts. I was thinking of just getting a camera and installing low in the bumper.
      01-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
how exactly do you run this to the screen, do you need additional parts. I was thinking of just getting a camera and installing low in the bumper.
The ICAM is for NBT Evo retrofits. You will need to drill into your trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
I bought an F series ICAM camera and trunk handle. I'll probably need to cut and drill the rear hatch to get it to fit right, then a 2-wire shielded cable to get video from the hatch all the way to the head unit.
I went with ICAM because I'm not planning to do a surround view camera system, and the non-surround ICAM camera does everything internally including the parking lines. No TRSVC or RVC modules, no emulators, no expensive High Speed Data cabling.
Only works with NBT Evo though, as far as I'm aware.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I bought an F series ICAM camera and trunk handle. I'll probably need to cut and drill the rear hatch to get it to fit right, then a 2-wire shielded cable to get video from the hatch all the way to the head unit.
I went with ICAM because I'm not planning to do a surround view camera system, and the non-surround ICAM camera does everything internally including the parking lines. No TRSVC or RVC modules, no emulators, no expensive High Speed Data cabling.
Only works with NBT Evo though, as far as I'm aware.
Cool!

I'm curious about a couple of things. 1) do you have PDC? I needed to add PDC to get TRSVC module to work with EVO in my E93. I don't know if ICAM requires messages from PDC or not. And 2) the ICAM with the module integrated with the camera for RVC only, is pretty big. Can you take photos? I'm interested on how much needs to be cut away to get it to fit.

Thanks!

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Cool!

I'm curious about a couple of things. 1) do you have PDC? I needed to add PDC to get TRSVC module to work with EVO in my E93. I don't know if ICAM requires messages from PDC or not. And 2) the ICAM with the module integrated with the camera for RVC only, is pretty big. Can you take photos? I'm interested on how much needs to be cut away to get it to fit.

Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Retrofi...53.m1438.l2649

My Car-Systems dealer sells this. I wonder if I can get a deal going with him for these.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Cool!

Thanks!
1: Yes I have rear PDC. My Evo is coded for front and rear PDC, but it doesn't seem to mind the lack of front PDC messaging. Perhaps once everything is in place i can try unplugging the PDC module and coding it out, maybe at the same time as I'm actually adding front PDC , just to test.

2: It is a little bigger, yes. See attached images. I think it is 2 inch longer than the original e9x trunk handle, so i'll probably just need to cut back an inch on each side. I haven't looked inside to figure out what that means.

Since I am hoping that BMW will cover the cost of replacing my rear hatch due to rust, I'm not going to cut into it until I get word from them about it, so for now I will just put the parts in yet another box of future retrofits.

Conveniently (not!) the little connector on the back of the camera is the same size pins as the OABR cable, but only 8 pins instead of 20. I don't have this connector, nor do I know where to source one currently.
Attached Images

Last edited by vilord; 01-25-2019 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0