E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e9x M3



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #23
CitizenKane
First Lieutenant
CitizenKane's Avatar
66
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: Not a BMW...
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post
You guys have lovely smooth roads to drive on though.

Ours are full of potholes
Our roads are sh1te, other than some motorways which are paid for through tolls rather than taxation... thatís the frustrating thing, we pay Continental levels of tax and get sub-UK standards of public services in return, itís truly the worst of both worlds ... anyway, I could rant for hours about this but Iíll derail the thread and nobody cares!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #24
nomiS330d
Private
10
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: E92 330d MANual
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Doncaster

iTrader: (0)

E92 M3? Yep, to my mind in manual form one of the best cars ever made. I absolutely love them and havenít even had one! I do keep looking but my mapped 330d suits my current life and is probably as quick as an M3 when pottering about town. I just canít justify paying more than double my cars value for effectively the same car but a better engine that happens to use twice as much fuel. I would however swap a 330i for an M3 in a heartbeat so to the OP, go for it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #25
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
25
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I swapped to an E92 M3 last year from a E91 330i manual. I got a late plate (13) car from a main dealer for safety of warranty although they are probably more reliable than the injector/hpfp problems on 330/335i.

Fuel is about 20% worse for a car with a 30% larger engine with 50% more power.

I would get 36 mpg from my 330i on motorway cruise & get 28 mpg from M3. Would average 27mpg on 330i overall and get 21-22mpg on M3.

I am a manual lover but tried a DCT and was sold the box matches the high revving engine so well and also changes up to 7th very quickly when not in the mood.

I got a fairly low spec car as getting a very late model was my priority & toys don't interest me next to the V8. So I probably got a lower spec 13 plate for similar to high spec 2010/11 car.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...--2013/8807543

The price band for cars is tightening from 2007-2013 cars spanning £17-27k (about £1500 a year) being held up by rising E46 prices on the bottom and dropping F process on the top.

But neither have the V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #26
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
25
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The 330i to the M3 makes lots of sense. As everything is just turned up. The 335i ( or d's) to M3 does not always work as people miss the low & mid range torque and have learned to drive there cars on this.

330i drivers are used to revving a car to make progress. And when you do that on the M3..... it does make progress.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #27
nomiS330d
Private
10
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: E92 330d MANual
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Doncaster

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Diesel!!! View Post
The 330i to the M3 makes lots of sense. As everything is just turned up. The 335i ( or d's) to M3 does not always work as people miss the low & mid range torque and have learned to drive there cars on this.

330i drivers are used to revving a car to make progress. And when you do that on the M3..... it does make progress.
Yes precisely my point but better made. The instant torque from the diesel makes making quick progress very easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #28
Len_Beach
Captain
87
Rep
917
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I went from an E92 M3 to a 330d LCI due to doing a lot more miles at work.

The 330d is 80% of the car for 50% of the cost to run.

The M3 was excellent when it was on song but had to be worked hard. If I could justify burning money at the pumps every week, I'd still have it but I've never been disappointed with the 330d with over 320bhp and a measured 48mpg.

The only time I'm really down is when people ask what car I have and I used to say "An M3", now I say "330d".
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
113
Rep
1,518
Posts

Drives: e93 330i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: All over

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Diesel!!! View Post
The 330i to the M3 makes lots of sense. As everything is just turned up. The 335i ( or d's) to M3 does not always work as people miss the low & mid range torque and have learned to drive there cars on this.

330i drivers are used to revving a car to make progress. And when you do that on the M3..... it does make progress.
I do love the power delivery of my 330i, which is why I'm drawn to the M3. Hearing a NA engine at full chat is a big part of the appeal and why I wanted a 330i. There's not many great NA engines left and the e9x M3 is one of them. After that your in Porsche territory. I do love the looks of a 981 Cayman but there £35k+ for a decent one
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #30
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
25
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

There is a time for every car. M3 depreciation is pretty flat just now so you can step in & out without big losses. Keep it longer & you may even get an upswing to cover your other costs.

Caymen is a nice engine to sample but not sure where these are on there curve. Sure long term they with flatten and rise.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
HollowmanVIII's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: BMW 3 Series E92
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Euxton

iTrader: (0)

Comparing a 330D to an M3 is a bit odd. I appreciate circumstances change and economy comes into play, but you can't compare the two. The coupe's don't look as good as the M3 for starters and with regards to the diesel, yes they are great engines, but they still sound like tractors, even the 6cyl ones, compared with that V8 soundtrack which is absolute bliss on full chat.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #32
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
25
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

People forget now that we are in 2018 but rewind back to 2005 when the E46 M3 was in its final years

The Ferrari 360 had a 3.6 V8 had just stopped being made in 2004 producing 395 bhp at 8500 rpm.

If someone said to you the next M3 will have a Ferrari rivalling powerplant but with normal road car reliability & service intervals you would have said wow. And that's what the engineers gave us.

Lets not forget what under the McLaren F1's gold lined hood.... M Power.

Any M engine is a very special thing.

A crate M3 V8 Engine Brand new probably cost the same as a Brand new 316i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #33
cdti
Private First Class
United Kingdom
5
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: E90 325d LCI
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

iTrader: (0)

I'm lucky enough to own a remapped N57 powered E90 325d and an E92 M3. Day to day, the 325d is my car of choice. The torque is just immense and something that I do genuinely miss when I step into the M3, it would be even more noticable if I was driving it daily I'm sure. My M3 averaged 20mpg on an 1800 mile road trip which included autobahn runs and 4 laps of the nordschleiffe aswell as other lovely german roads. I generally get somewhere around 18mpg but I don't drive economically!

On a side note my brother in law has a B7 RS4 and to me it has a much nicer 'daily' engine, similar sized to the M3 with similar power but much more torque and a noticable difference to the M3 and noticable difference in mpg ~18mpg vs ~25mpg.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #34
sirleeofroy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
41
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Buckinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdti View Post
I'm lucky enough to own a remapped N57 powered E90 325d and an E92 M3. Day to day, the 325d is my car of choice. The torque is just immense and something that I do genuinely miss when I step into the M3, it would be even more noticable if I was driving it daily I'm sure. My M3 averaged 20mpg on an 1800 mile road trip which included autobahn runs and 4 laps of the nordschleiffe aswell as other lovely german roads. I generally get somewhere around 18mpg but I don't drive economically!

On a side note my brother in law has a B7 RS4 and to me it has a much nicer 'daily' engine, similar sized to the M3 with similar power but much more torque and a noticable difference to the M3 and noticable difference in mpg ~18mpg vs ~25mpg.
Have you taken the 325D to the ring? If so, how did you get on? I have the 330D N57 mapped and I've gotten used to it very quickly... I do intend on taking a trip to the ring with a friend of mine who has a charged MX5 so it'll be fun either way.... Don't get me wrong, it moves but I get the feeling that I'm missing out by not at least getting a 335i as they seem to be rather entertaining... that said, should I get rid of my N57, the next step will be an ///M car of some sort. I'll probably go back in time and do an E34 M5.....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:43 AM   #35
nomiS330d
Private
10
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: E92 330d MANual
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Doncaster

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post
Comparing a 330D to an M3 is a bit odd. I appreciate circumstances change and economy comes into play, but you can't compare the two. The coupe's don't look as good as the M3 for starters and with regards to the diesel, yes they are great engines, but they still sound like tractors, even the 6cyl ones, compared with that V8 soundtrack which is absolute bliss on full chat.
Donít get me wrong, money less of an object iíd Swap my 330d for a V8 M3 in a heart beat but for 90+% of the time I would probably miss the low down torque. I know itís not in the same league but I had an E36 M3 evo before the diesel which got stolen. Great fun but for lazy speed the 330d is faster. Engine note is one thing I do miss
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #36
Chappers 71
Colonel
Chappers 71's Avatar
United Kingdom
1092
Rep
2,815
Posts

Drives: E92 335i SE
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Have you taken the 325D to the ring? If so, how did you get on? I have the 330D N57 mapped and I've gotten used to it very quickly... I do intend on taking a trip to the ring with a friend of mine who has a charged MX5 so it'll be fun either way.... Don't get me wrong, it moves but I get the feeling that I'm missing out by not at least getting a 335i as they seem to be rather entertaining... that said, should I get rid of my N57, the next step will be an ///M car of some sort. I'll probably go back in time and do an E34 M5.....
Having owned a e34 M5 back in the day, I would say it's a great car but a bit dated now & slow compared to more modern cars.
When I had mine the e36 328i came out it was quicker & more nimble than my M5, I sold the M5 & bought a 328is.
Also old E34 m5s are rare & expensive.
I personally wouldn't go back to owning one
__________________
E92 335i SE
E36 328i sport coupe
E39 540i 6SP manual
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #37
sirleeofroy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
41
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Buckinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Having owned a e34 M5 back in the day, I would say it's a great car but a bit dated now & slow compared to more modern cars.
When I had mine the e36 328i came out it was quicker & more nimble than my M5, I sold the M5 & bought a 328is.
Also old E34 m5s are rare & expensive.
I personally wouldn't go back to owning one
I hear ya, there's just something about them that I really like... I remember my mum having a E34 530i back when I was still too young to have a licence.... Having had a load of Ford Granada's up til then, it was in a different class all together and I fell for it....

That said, what I really want is an E28.....
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #38
cdti
Private First Class
United Kingdom
5
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: E90 325d LCI
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Have you taken the 325D to the ring? If so, how did you get on? I have the 330D N57 mapped and I've gotten used to it very quickly... I do intend on taking a trip to the ring with a friend of mine who has a charged MX5 so it'll be fun either way.... Don't get me wrong, it moves but I get the feeling that I'm missing out by not at least getting a 335i as they seem to be rather entertaining... that said, should I get rid of my N57, the next step will be an ///M car of some sort. I'll probably go back in time and do an E34 M5.....
No not taken it to the ring, but I'd expect it to hold its own very well. It's a remarkably decent handling car!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST