E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Vibration at highway speed (doubtful related to wheel balance) - please help

03-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

All of the above posters solved their problems. They all sold their BMW's
Appreciate 4
PhaseP996.50
digis3.00
      03-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #24
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

I've got the same issue. Replaced my LCA. Next up is the thrust arms and this caliper sticking issue. I'm going to hoist the car up Thursday and see what's at play. I'll come back once I figured out this steering vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #25
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

I have the same however im sure the vibration is only coming from the rear as i only feel the vibration though the seat of my pants.

the vibration is worse when i let off the accelerator at about 75/80 and if i hit the pedal again it goes away.

I originally thought it could be prop related but then wouldnt i feel vibration throught the gear stick also? that feel smooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #26
kyledoestheastro
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Has anyone had any luck on this??? I had a slight vibration last summer, got my alignment done, and wheels roadforce balanced which improved it but didn't get rid of it.
Later in the fall it got a little worse so I brought it to a reputable independent bmw shop cause I thought it was a bearing, they said it's not the bearing and once I switch to my winter tires I'll be fine.

When I switched to my winter tires I was told by Town Fair Tire that my front right summer tire had bad "chopping" (after I got it aligned twice within 6 months and roadforce balanced). The vibration persisted with new winter tires but less noticeable.

I just switched to brand new summer tires last week and got them balanced and an alignment. This made the vibration come back worse.
Now last Saturday I put brand new rotors and pads on all around, and the vibration is slightly worse and my wheel violently shakes when braking from highway speeds and I can feel it shaking when braking from any other speeds but not as bad.
I can also feel it in my seat just as much as I can in my steering wheel.

Anyone have any suggestions before I spend another $500 on doing all my bushings and whatnot? I really don't want to keep dumping money into this trying to get rid of the vibration. Nor do I want to ruin another set of new tires or warp my new rotors...

This is on a 2011 328i xDrive

Last edited by kyledoestheastro; 04-25-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 01:48 AM   #27
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

I have the same problem and never got it solved. The steering wheel vibrates from 80kmh changed the front end suspension, alignment, new tires and rims but its still there.

I am surprised how dealer does not have some vibration sensors to detect the issue. Apparently when its warm weather and car stays in the sun the vibration is not that obvious.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #28
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #29
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

update for me, new tyres, shocks, rear suspension ball joint.

No change...feels as though vibration is getting worse.

Had it in the garage and mechanic checked over everything and said only thing he could find that had play in it was the front thrust arms.

i get zero vibration through the steering wheel only feel it though the seat so i cant see that being the culprit.

interesting about the comment about the rear caliper someone made. my rear pads and discs do need replacing so maybe its a warped rear disc?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #30
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

I get a vibration in my car when I take the car above 80mph. Below that, it's fine. I have new thrust arms and lower control arms waiting to be installed. Hoping that will fix the issue. If not, it should fix the sloppy steering feel at least.

Hoping to hear more people chime in and report if they found a culprit that seems to be common.
      09-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #31
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Did my lower control arms and thrust arms with new ball joints, it worked like a charm. I had small tears in my thrust arms which caused the vibrations in the steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #32
kyledoestheastro
Registered
Rep

I ended up replacing my front thrust arms, control arms, and ball joints. Vibrations are pretty much gone, still get some around 50mph from the rear but that's barely noticeable at all.

Also, the vibration I was getting under breaking was from cheap ecs rotors having defects, replaced those with oem and the vibration under braking went away.

Last edited by kyledoestheastro; 09-06-2016 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #33
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by borinous View Post
interesting about the comment about the rear caliper someone made. my rear pads and discs do need replacing so maybe its a warped rear disc?
Had a similar issue which was caused by excessive corrosion on the inner hub face of the rear discs (couldn't be seen from the outside - discs looked perfect!).
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #34
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledoestheastro View Post
I ended up replacing my front thrust arms, control arms, and ball joints. Vibrations are pretty much gone, still get some around 50mph from the rear but that's barely noticeable at all.

Also, the vibration I was getting under breaking was from cheap ecs rotors having defects, replaced those with oem and the vibration under braking went away.
Hmm... So the ECS rotors are no good?! Good to know, as I will stay away from them..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #35
kyledoestheastro
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan335i7 View Post
Hmm... So the ECS rotors are no good?! Good to know, as I will stay away from them..
I'm staying away from ECS in general, I bought all four ECS drilled and slotted rotors with hawk HPS pads. I took my brakes apart only to find that the pads didn't fit even though their site states that they will, I confirmed with hawk that they don't fit my car, so I ordered new pads from FCP. I got the new pads, put everything together hoping it fixed my vibration, and found it was worse even in the first 5 miles(I assumed fresh brakes were magnifying whatever was causing my vibration). After taking it to my local shop he pointed out that my front right brake looked off. It had a spot maybe the size of a post-it note that still had "geomet" coating on it because it was dipped down so low and not getting touched by the pads. I found another spot like that on another rotor as well. I ended up buying some OEM rotors and my vibrations under braking vanished.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #36
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

all the bmw I owned had drivetrain vibrations, my e90 lci drives like I have an out of round wheel. At 40-45 kmh it jumps up and down like having oval wheels. After new tyres and road force balancing the issue persists. I am curious after switch to winter wheels if vibration will dissspear.

Wheels are original style 194 not damaged so I cant imagine how they can get out of round.

Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #37
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledoestheastro View Post

I get the same vibration around 50-60mph, but from the front(steering wheel), and I'm running ECS slotted rotors. Wonder if that's my problem too. I don't get braking vibrations too much but every once in a while my steering wheel will vibrate under braking from higher speeds.

Also, replacing my control arms, thrust arms w/ball joints have fixed a lot of the vibrating I got at higher highway speeds (anytime above 80mph)
      10-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #38
kyledoestheastro
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
I get the same vibration around 50-60mph, but from the front(steering wheel), and I'm running ECS slotted rotors. Wonder if that's my problem too. I don't get braking vibrations too much but every once in a while my steering wheel will vibrate under braking from higher speeds.

Also, replacing my control arms, thrust arms w/ball joints have fixed a lot of the vibrating I got at higher highway speeds (anytime above 80mph)
Pull off your wheels and visually inspect the rotors, mine had obvious spots that the brake pads were not touching at all.

My vibration also seems to be coming back and from my rear end. Seems to only be there when it's cold. I got a misfire on cyl 5 recently a couple times so I will be replacing my coils this weekend, I have a funny feeling that could be what's causing my vibration for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #39
Junious722
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e93 Platinum Bronze

Thumbs up I think I found the problem to all of our problems

Don't quote me on this yet but I think I may have found the issue, I was reading another thread and the culprit may be the flex disc and the center bearing. The flex disc we have on our cars is rubber and after a while will deteriorate and eventually give a slight vibration feeling, the also recommend that you change the center bearing, seeing that if the flex disc is going bad it must be because the center bearing is hanging which can cause the driveshaft to fall and hit the exhaust. I have not tried this myself but just came across it a couple of days, I will keep you posted!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #40
Gran_tourismo_99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328i xdrive

Guibo

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-febi-par...FZ5WDQodXnINkA
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #41
puddyboy28
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i M Sport

Similar issue

I have recently installed new tires on my 19" wheels up front. No spacers but my car is lowered on coils pretty aggressively. I know this can cause handling issues but when i had it aligned with my old tires it was fine.

so new tires I had them balanced twice at the garage it brought it too. kinda skeptical still about their quality of work so i am in between right now when i have time to go again if i can diagnose this myself. and bring it to a friends garage who can do much better work.

took each wheel off and inspected the rotors and linkages .. everything seemed fine and secure. No spacers and factory oem pads and calipers.

the vibration is only is the steering wheel above and between 45-60mph stops at 70mph and dies down slowly when i hit over 90mph+ the car is planted and its not noticeable.

from feeling the car over the last few days and really paying attention it feels like its coming from the passenger front. as i can see a slight bob up and down which to me seems like a dent in the rim. when i am creeping at lower speeds the car bobs up and down (since i have my coils set on a hard setting its exaggerated) but this only happens SOMETIMES its very very weird. no vibrations at braking at high or low speeds. only in between 45-60mph.

If it is a dented rim id rather pay the cost of a replacement rim than go through all the bushings and control arms first.

I saw a few of you posted about a "road test I" .. i will see if i can have this done as well.

I will keep you posted if i can relate to a few other members.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #42
puddyboy28
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_tourismo_99 View Post

this is a really overlooked culprit .. i might just buy one of these just because and install it just because its inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #43
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

In my case the styling 194 rims were not round, after changing to winter rims and new tyres the problem dissapeared. The rims were not damaged, I dont know how a BbS rim can be out of round
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #44
330iE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I had my fair share of tracking down vibrations. I will list all possible options below and you can try to narrow down by that:

- Control arms
- Bearings
- Tie rods
- Bad tires
- Wheel Balance
- Alignment
- Differential, believe it or not a few had problems with the differential bolt (behind driveshaft that preloads the bearings), my diff bearings went out had crazy vibration and had to replace the whole differential.
- Center drive shaft bearing with Flex discs front and back
- DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL, this ones for the manual guys. This flywheel is horrible and causes weird vibrations quite often.
- Brake rotors and pads
- Brake rotor rubber guides with pad springs
- Engine mounts
- Transmission mounts
- Differential and Transmission fluids

If something else comes to mind that I had addressed in the past I will update the post. This topic almost drove me crazy at one point... I just want to enjoy a nice fast highway drive .
Appreciate 0