Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ordering. Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #67
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick9597 View Post
Explain "smoothest" more please. Not soft?
I have OEM 18"'s on mine and I got these after having those stock Bridgestone RFT's. Don't get me wrong, these amazing tires! However, I feel like I am getting too much feed back through the chassis. Small vibrations on rough roads and bigger bumps seems to be harsher. This is almost in an unnecessary way. I can see how this would be great on like a M3 or a GT3, but felt take away the comfort factor bit on my 328i. I bet a good all-season tire wouldn't do this.

By no means, I am not encouraging you away from these tires. I have went thru so many high performance tires in different cars in my life time and I couldn't believe my self the first time I drive in the rain with PSS's...they are THAT GOOD! They got so much grip that, it makes my car understeer heavily on my staggered set up, making less fun

Last edited by sle39lvr; 06-06-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #68
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Best performing tires out there, this side of cup tires.

However:-
- Not the quietest tires (tho they are fairly silent)
- Not the smoothest riding tires
I agree with your "however" comments and further it by being one of the few people who is not a cheerleader for this tire. I do think they're very good but not as amazing as people would have you believe.

I've had the factory rf's, yoko AD08's and these. If I won a free set of tires of my choice I'd take the AD08's. In street driving I don't find the grip any better with the PSS's, even with a remarkable tread wear rating I doubt I'll get any more miles out of them than the AD08's (especially the rears), and they are louder as they wear. I bought them because they were cheaper than the AD08's and though they would last alot longer.

By "smoothest" I would say they feel course, rough - especially on light impacts like expansion bumps, etc.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #69
nick9597
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport Line, Mineral Grey

I'm mainly looking to soften things up a bit considering I have the sport line. That in combo with the RF tires, is just so harsh.
The PSS were recommended by TireRack...along with a couple others.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #70
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
I'm mainly looking to soften things up a bit considering I have the sport line. That in combo with the RF tires, is just so harsh.
The PSS were recommended by TireRack...along with a couple others.
If you really want "soft" riding but still grippy enough for normal on road use, Continentals are a great choice. NOT the highest grip, but excellent for quiet and a hard to explain SMOOTH ride. Also, excellent in the rain. I cannot speak to better than Michelin at all, but I've had several sets of Conti's and they offer a fantastic reduction in noise and little road imperfections are smoothed out while still remaining communicative and responsive. So much better than the OEM Bridgestones that it's hard not to sound like a fanboy.
      06-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #71
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
If you really want "soft" riding but still grippy enough for normal on road use, Continentals are a great choice. NOT the highest grip, but excellent for quiet and a hard to explain SMOOTH ride. Also, excellent in the rain. I cannot speak to better than Michelin at all, but I've had several sets of Conti's and they offer a fantastic reduction in noise and little road imperfections are smoothed out while still remaining communicative and responsive. So much better than the OEM Bridgestones that it's hard not to sound like a fanboy.
Thanks for the advise. What kind of Conti's? Run flat or not?

My biggest complaint is the jarring I feel on cracked and bumpy roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #72
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:

Most summer tires will be more harsh on the road than all seasons. So the bumpiness will probably be reduced for a little bit, it can not possibly be eliminated. Also, big part that plays into that is the whole suspension system itself (shock and springs) + chassis design. ANYWAYS!

I will recommend checking out the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Very comfortable, smooth riding summer tire. It is lighter than most other summer tires and have softer sidewalls which makes this not the most ideal track tire (when compared to other dedicated summer tires of course, this will still be much better than any all season performance category tires). Does not have the grip level of Extreme Summer Tires or the PSS, but for DD it should make no difference. Wet road traction is just as good as the PSS (on par or even better actually). Cost is a lot less as well compared to other alternatives, probably $300-400 cheaper on tirerack depending on size Thread wear is also longer supposively but then again, depends on how you drive and where you drive. This is a non-runflat tire. Good Luck and have fun!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #73
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Most summer tires will be more harsh on the road than all seasons. So the bumpiness will probably be reduced for a little bit, it can not possibly be eliminated. Also, big part that plays into that is the whole suspension system itself (shock and springs) + chassis design. ANYWAYS!

I will recommend checking out the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Very comfortable, smooth riding summer tire. It is lighter than most other summer tires and have softer sidewalls which makes this not the most ideal track tire (when compared to other dedicated summer tires of course, this will still be much better than any all season performance category tires). Does not have the grip level of Extreme Summer Tires or the PSS, but for DD it should make no difference. Wet road traction is just as good as the PSS (on par or even better actually). Cost is a lot less as well compared to other alternatives, probably $300-400 cheaper on tirerack depending on size Thread wear is also longer supposively but then again, depends on how you drive and where you drive. This is a non-runflat tire. Good Luck and have fun!
Thanks! The Continental ExtremeContact DW is another tire that TireRack.com recommended for me. I'll check those out too.

$945 total for the PSS's
$823 total for the Conti DW's

Last edited by nick9597; 06-06-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #74
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! The Continental ExtremeContact DW is another tire that TireRack.com recommended for me. I'll check those out too.

$945 total for the PSS's
$823 total for the Conti DW's
What size are you looking for? Last time I picked up PSS i saw the price for the DW's and they are very cheap for some reason, no special or refunds, just regularly priced low.

Even now, the specs i am looking for (245/35/18 and 275/35/18)on tirerack the PSS cost around $960 and DW's are $738. $212 difference!!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #75
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
What size are you looking for? Last time I picked up PSS i saw the price for the DW's and they are very cheap for some reason, no special or refunds, just regularly priced low.

Even now, the specs i am looking for (245/35/18 and 275/35/18)on tirerack the PSS cost around $960 and DW's are $738. $212 difference!!
From a TireRack installer (not Tire Racks price)

PSS 199.99 a tire. plus, plus, plus = $945
DW $171.61 a tire. " " " = $823
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #76
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I went Non-RFT because the trade off with the wooden sidewalls just isn't worth the day to day rough ride.

I picked up a Continental care kit thing from Tire Rack just in case, basically it's a not as fancy BMW mobility kit for less.

At the time I had purchased the Continental Contisport 3s. The Last Continentals I bough were the Conti DWs. They are just as good in the wet, and had a similar soft rolling feel.
      06-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #77
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
I went Non-RFT because the trade off with the wooden sidewalls just isn't worth the day to day rough ride.

I picked up a Continental care kit thing from Tire Rack just in case, basically it's a not as fancy BMW mobility kit for less.

At the time I had purchased the Continental Contisport 3s. The Last Continentals I bough were the Conti DWs. They are just as good in the wet, and had a similar soft rolling feel.
I can't tell if this is a good review or a bad one.
You like the DW's?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #78
Revlis
United_States
Rep

The only caveat I would offer up with the Conti's VS Michelin is the the PSS is going to be the better track day tire, and when it comes to ultimate grip they will have an edge on the Continentals.

BUT

Having said that, I didn't feel the Conti's were really lacking much at all on the road and fast Canyon runs etc, at 8/10s driving they were willing and appeared to be wearing well. They felt great on the 370Z most recently (the Conti DWs) and while I could tell they weren't quite as grippy they were predictable at the limit and beyond when rotating the car under throttle etc. Continentals don't tend to "break" loose they "push" loose which really made them pretty confidence insipring and very talkative despit the softer feel. Hard to explain, but so much better than ANY RFT in terms of ride and noise that it's a no brainer.
      06-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #79
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't tell if this is a good review or a bad one.
You like the DW's?
Yes very much.

Sorry still floating a burly caffeine high... The DWs were awesome, just as good or better than the Contisport 3s. "Better" than the PSS as I mentioned above, I dunno, but I WILL be doing more Continentals on the my 335is when it comes in without question. They feel great, wear well and yeah have that softish smooth rolling... feel it is kinda hard to explain. They do smooth out the minor road imperfections, and highway expansion joints are still felt, but not as harshly.
      06-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #80
Revlis
United_States
Rep

AND... On and on I go...

I did finally convince a friend with a Mini Cooper S to try the Continentals, and if they weren't a better everyday tire for him than the (Pirelli in this case) I'd give him a Benjamin.

I got a call a few days later, my Bro had indeed put the Continental DWS tires on his MINI and was calling me to rant and rave about how much freaking better the road noise was and that all the little jitters were gone. SO with $100 on the line the Conti's were good enough that he forgot all about being clever and was just stoked... Still is about 6 months later.
      06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #81
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
Yes very much.

Sorry still floating a burly caffeine high... The DWs were awesome, just as good or better than the Contisport 3s. "Better" than the PSS as I mentioned above, I dunno, but I WILL be doing more Continentals on the my 335is when it comes in without question. They feel great, wear well and yeah have that softish smooth rolling... feel it is kinda hard to explain. They do smooth out the minor road imperfections, and highway expansion joints are still felt, but not as harshly.
This explained it perfectly. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #82
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
AND... On and on I go...

I did finally convince a friend with a Mini Cooper S to try the Continentals, and if they weren't a better everyday tire for him than the (Pirelli in this case) I'd give him a Benjamin.

I got a call a few days later, my Bro had indeed put the Continental DWS tires on his MINI and was calling me to rant and rave about how much freaking better the road noise was and that all the little jitters were gone. SO with $100 on the line the Conti's were good enough that he forgot all about being clever and was just stoked... Still is about 6 months later.
I'm more or less sold on the Conti's HOWEVER, the big question I have is. What's the biggest difference with the DW's and DWS's? I know the DWS's are All Season and the DW is Summer. I do live in a forgiving environment though with no snow and minimal rain. But Summer tires are by nature, harder than all seasons no?

Simply considering all options before I make a $800 investment.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #83
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguan
Thanks guys, just put my order through Tirerack, $1300 shipped to Canada, taxes, duties all included.

The cheapest I find here in Toronto, Canada is $1750 installed.

I think I still save a bit by ordering off Tirerack.
I paid 1310$ tax included and installed in Montreal at a local tire shop warehouse
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #84
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm more or less sold on the Conti's HOWEVER, the big question I have is. What's the biggest difference with the DW's and DWS's? I know the DWS's are All Season and the DW is Summer. I do live in a forgiving environment though with no snow and minimal rain. But Summer tires are by nature, harder than all seasons no?

Simply considering all options before I make a $800 investment.
Um no, the construction of the DWS and DW is going to be pretty similar, it's just the compounds and tread for the most part and tread wear of course. If you really enjoy driving Ina spirited manner, and you're in Santa Barbara, it would be a mistake to accept the compromise of the all season DWS.

My experience has been that all season tires tend to have harder compounds in the name of longer tire life.
      06-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #85
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
I paid 1310$ tax included and installed in Montreal at a local tire shop warehouse
Holy smokes, that is still expensive I am so lucky to live so close to the border here in Vancouver BC... Bought 245/35/18 and 275/35/18 from ebay with free conti USA shipping ($960 total) ship to a post office there by the border (20mins drive away from Vancouver) pick it up, might or might not have to pay tax when crossing border back into Canada, install by my local shop for $80...
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #86
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Those are definitely the best tires out there.

I just wonder how many guys get this tire simply because of reputation. I feel like a good amount of guys that buy these tires could get away with much cheaper tires and not feel much of a difference simply because of their driving style.
      06-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #87
nick9597
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Those are definitely the best tires out there.

I just wonder how many guys get this tire simply because of reputation. I feel like a good amount of guys that buy these tires could get away with much cheaper tires and not feel much of a difference simply because of their driving style.
What tires? The PSS's or the DW's?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #88
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
What tires? The PSS's or the DW's?
PSS.