E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Problems installing m3 wheel on 335i

05-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
2008335icoupeblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saph Black 2008 335i Coupe

Problems installing m3 wheel on 335i

I spent about an hour trying to get the air bag off... and yes I read the DIY thread on it. The issue is getting into the slits and actually finding the spring loaded binders that hold in the airboag. You are basically doing this blind while pocking around with the end of a flathead screw driver. If ayone can help me out as to how exactly to get the these spring loaded fastners and release the airbag I would REALLY appreciate it!!! Thanks in advance!
Legal Disclaimer: any mention by myself or others on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

this is a hard thing to describe, but actually VERY easy. I would suggest keep doing this.

when you enter the right side of the wheel with the screwdriver, the tip of the screwdriver, should be pointing towards about 10 o'clock. also the flathead screwdriver, should be horizontal, not vertical while in the wheel. when you find the spring in there, you will hit it, and notice that it will push in a little, while doing that, try lifting on the airbag to un-lodge it..

REMEMBER TO UN DO THE BATTERY TOO
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It took me a while the first time as it is all by feel, now it takes about 1 minute, here is a pic I attached so you can try to visualize, but basically there is a piece of small diameter spring rod that you are trying to hit and there is a bit of a guide in the wheel to help, but basically you use a small flat screwdriver as indicated above, keep the flat part horizontal and go up on a little bit of an angle, but keep the screwdriver it self pointed directly in, not towards the front or back of the car.

I cirlce the path of the screwdriver in the pic and you will see the spring rod running vertical and going befind a piece of metal where you push it with the screw driver. It takes some patience and you will want to put a little outward force on the edge of the airbag so once you hit the spring it will pull out a bit. It also likes to go back in when you work on the other side, so I usually pull on it more in the middle for the second side so the first doesn't pop back in.

Good luck!

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
2008335icoupeblack
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the help. I tried again today and I just keep on hitting metal and the end of the driver just stops and sctratches at the metal. I am pushing on the edge of the airbag and it is rising up a bit, but this isjust from the scxrewdriver behind it pushing it to the side and not because the spring is depressed. I am just worried that if i force it or poke around too much I am going to screw up the airbag!
Legal Disclaimer: any mention by myself or others on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008335icoupeblack View Post
thanks for the help. I tried again today and I just keep on hitting metal and the end of the driver just stops and sctratches at the metal. I am pushing on the edge of the airbag and it is rising up a bit, but this isjust from the scxrewdriver behind it pushing it to the side and not because the spring is depressed. I am just worried that if i force it or poke around too much I am going to screw up the airbag!
Make sure your screwdriver is not too big. A small screwdriver (about 3/16 blade width) with a longer shaft works well. Look carefully at the picture above. The tool will be entering behind the plate in the angled channels shown. You should be able to easily feel the clip tension if the screwdriver blade is horizontal and the shaft angled up to match the channel direction. The airbag is in front of the plate, the screwdriver should be behind, it would be tough to damage it unless you were way off.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
UniqueEDesign
Rep
Drives: Prototype E92

I went through the same troubles. I ended up paying a BMW Tech to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
2008335icoupeblack
Private First Class
Rep

if anyone is around the bay area... ill pay them to do it... I am just getting frustrated and I am not a big fan of padding bmw pockets with this kind of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Its really not hard man, give it another shot. Look at the photo posted above and use it as a reference to where you need to go. Make sure you are using a small-er head size and keep the driver parallel to the indicator/washer stalks. You will still feel metal when you push in the spring so you might be hitting it and not even noticing. Try and alternate from side to side as this helped me loosen things up.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
2008335icoupeblack
Private First Class
Rep

thanks that frame of reference actually helps alot... I am just trying to figure out just how to guage where the driver should be more towards the steerign wheel or more toward the guages...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
coolusername
Alpineweiss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Wierd, it took me all of 3 minutes to do this in my e46, and it seems to be the same for the e9x. Just have to keep trying different things.
Appreciate 0