E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1 Austin

04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I disagree. While Austin may be in the center of the country, it's far from the majority of American F1 fans (East and West coasts). Also, it's nowhere near any of the major tourist locations in the U.S. Really wish they had gone with Monticello in NY or tried to get something together in Cali.
This has been a topic that has been under FOM's breathe, but if F1 goes to NY, it will be in the heart of NYC. There is a very strong dream to have a race threw the streets of the Big Apple. This sadly was probably one reason why Monticello didn't land the race. Also, they wanted a purpose built facility I believe.
      04-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #24
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
they once had one at the Caesar's Palace parking lot. it was a disaster
Yup. What a shitty track! See 4:08

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #25
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Go to Montreal! Better city, entertaining track, beautiful women, great race-weekend atmosphere. What more could you ask for?
Thanks for the recommendation. Curiously, a friend just mentioned that on a mountain drive last Sunday. If Austin doesn't materialize in 2012, maybe.

Which brings me to the reason for this post: What the heck was the announcement all about? Checked speed, and it says nothing out of the ordinary. Only Nascar crap, and the usual crappy programs. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #26
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

There is now an official website. http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/

The official announcement I believe is that MotoGP will also be using the track.

Quote:
Austin will get another major motorsports event, a MotoGP race for 10 years beginning in 2013. The announcement was made Tuesday.

MotoGp is something of motorcycling’s answer to Formula One and has an international fan base. The Formula One track being constructed southeast of Austin is being designed to accommodate both F1 cars and motorcycles.

The circuit was officially named Circuit of the Americas. Click here for the circuit’s official website.

Also announced were plans for a three-story convention center that could be used year-round, and a trauma center that will be used as a training facility for area emergency care professionals and medical school students, officials said.

It will also have a large outdoor live music venue, promoter Tavo Hellmund said.

The announcement was made at a press conference this afternoon that featured Speed TV announcer Bob Varsha, investors Bobby Epstein and Red McCombs, 1993 MotoGP champion Kevin Schwantz and others.

Educational partnerships were also announced with Texas A&M, St. Edward’s and Huston-Tillotson universities as well as the Del Valle Independent School District.

In May, Austin was announced as the host city for the United States Grand Prix beginning in 2012. Construction is under way at the site near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, and organizers hope to have it completed by June of next year.

The date of the first Formula One race has not been announced.
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ounce_new.html

Here are some extra pictures I just found. The word is that the highly anticipated turn 1 is visible.

And another,

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 04-12-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
There is now an official website. http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/

The official announcement I believe is that MotoGP will also be using the track.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ounce_new.html

Here are some extra pictures I just found this. The word is that the highly anticipated turn 1 is visible.

And another,

Wow! Rapid progress for just a year. Fingers crossed that they don't cut any corners; while I do not expect any of the 'razzle' of Abu Dhabi or Singapore, I hope that the track and its facilities are built up to par.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

There is a video on the new website, and it seems there is some hidden footage there.

This looks like an image of their architect model.
      04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #29
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

That looks like an amazing track! I'm also glad that they're not going the way of USF1...
      04-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #30
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Beautiful track! The T1 run-up reminds me of the A1 ring. That sequence after the first few corners looks like it'll be a blast to drive. I really, really hope they open this track to track days
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Beautiful track! The T1 run-up reminds me of the A1 ring. That sequence after the first few corners looks like it'll be a blast to drive. I really, really hope they open this track to track days
The video on the website seems to suggest they will host alot of activities there. I'm with you though, i'd love to be able to go to a track day at a real F1 track.
      04-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #32
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

So happy I'm moving to San Antonio this summer! Between BMWCCA and PCA, I'm sure I'm get out on the track at some point.

...and MotoGP in 2013!!!!!
      04-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #33
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I'm from Austin originally and visit at least 4-5 times per year already! Now I'll have another excuse to go next year!

UltimateBMW... thanks for all the updates and pics!

Subscribed for updates!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #34
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
great find! excited!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #35
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I disagree. While Austin may be in the center of the country, it's far from the majority of American F1 fans (East and West coasts). Also, it's nowhere near any of the major tourist locations in the U.S. Really wish they had gone with Monticello in NY or tried to get something together in Cali.
You do realize Texas has 3 of the top ten most populated cities in America. NY would be the last place they should have a race, tucked up in the corner of the US. This race will be in driving distance of most of the US. Also MotoGP has signed a 10 year contract. There are two riders from the state of Texas in MotoGP. The MotoGP weekend will attract the huge bike scenes from Cali, Florida, and Texas.

Last edited by M3_WC; 04-13-2011 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #36
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Watched the presentation on Speed Center. This facility is going to be top shelf. They said they have a 400 million budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
So happy I'm moving to San Antonio this summer! Between BMWCCA and PCA, I'm sure I'm get out on the track at some point.

...and MotoGP in 2013!!!!!
A 10 year contract with MotoGP, that is HUGE!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #37
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

The facility looks like it's going to be awesome, thanks for posting. I do wish they had more track with elevation changes. Seems like all the newly built tracks are basically flat with multiple apex corners. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #38
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

With a 400mil budget, the track should be on par if not exceed the likes of Abu Dhabi and Bahrain in terms of quality of the facilities. The track itself and it's layout and design is a different topic altogether. Tilke has been blamed for the processional races at these tracks but lets hope with all of the elevation changes Texas is supposed to have, things will be different. Im not at all concerned that the facitlity itself wont be top notch. I look forward to visiting Austin. While a part of me agrees with Pman, that Montreal certainly is a great party town, the track is nothing special. There are NO facilities to speak of and the people (women) Pman mentions will be present at ANY F1 race, especially in Texas.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #39
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
You do realize Texas has 3 of the top ten most populated cities in America. NY would be the last place they should have a race, tucked up in the corner of the US. This race will be in driving distance of most of the US. Also MotoGP has signed a 10 year contract. There are two riders from the state of Texas in MotoGP. The MotoGP weekend will attract the huge bike scenes from Cali, Florida, and Texas.
You do realize that New York City has double the population of those 3 cities... combined.

This is what the US looks like by population density. "Tucked up in the corner" is grossly inaccurate when talking proximity to large populations.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You do realize that New York City has double the population of those 3 cities... combined.

This is what the US looks like by population density. "Tucked up in the corner" is grossly inaccurate when talking proximity to large populations.

+1

I think the location was picked for the center of population between east and west coast...logistically speaking...

Its approx 3-4 hours (max) flight from both coast of United States, Canada, and even central America.

Also, picking Austin helps keep the construction cost (land cost) low. and not limited by the surrounding neighborhood. So now they can design a track that they want.
      04-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #41
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

right the down road from me. easy 3 hour drive. i can't wait!!@#!@#$%%#@! now i won't have to fly 7 hours to watch a race!

but at any rate, austin is a great site for formula 1. really eclectic city with a lot of internationally minded people. not saying that NYC or that area wouldn't be great, but the true f1 fans will make it there. only thing i'm really concerned about is austin being able to handle the influx of people. sure, UT plays there and they can handle that, but austin has horrible traffic already and will be lacking in the hotel department if 100k+ people descend on austin at the same time. it'll be interesting to see how they address that.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #42
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
right the down road from me. easy 3 hour drive. i can't wait!!@#!@#$%%#@! now i won't have to fly 7 hours to watch a race!

but at any rate, austin is a great site for formula 1. really eclectic city with a lot of internationally minded people. not saying that NYC or that area wouldn't be great, but the true f1 fans will make it there. only thing i'm really concerned about is austin being able to handle the influx of people. sure, UT plays there and they can handle that, but austin has horrible traffic already and will be lacking in the hotel department if 100k+ people descend on austin at the same time. it'll be interesting to see how they address that.
I hope there will be plenty of shuttles from the race track to downtown or citycenter...as well as supporting parking facility near by to accommodate all those rental cars....(remember the traffic jam we saw during the Korean GP)...
      04-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #43
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
that looks to be of hell of a track, hope they are able to race on it next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
+1

I think the location was picked for the center of population between east and west coast...logistically speaking...

Its approx 3-4 hours (max) flight from both coast of United States, Canada, and even central America.

Also, picking Austin helps keep the construction cost (land cost) low. and not limited by the surrounding neighborhood. So now they can design a track that they want.
I agree, seems like a central place as far as location, not too far for anyone in the country
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #44
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I hope there will be plenty of shuttles from the race track to downtown or citycenter...as well as supporting parking facility near by to accommodate all those rental cars....(remember the traffic jam we saw during the Korean GP)...
well if it's texas, there will be ample parking, i'm almost certain of that. every person has a SUV here and we drive everywhere.
Appreciate 0