E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate rattle with no 30FF on 2011 335is

08-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

I've had the infamous wastegate rattle for a couple months now but no 30FF and im looking to fix the stock turbos on my FBO 335is with 62k on the clock. Does the rattle mean the full turbo system is shot? I dont drive the car very hard and if i could get away with pulling the turbos and replacing the wastegates with a fix kit that would be ideal. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-e92 View Post
I've had the infamous wastegate rattle for a couple months now but no 30FF and im looking to fix the stock turbos on my FBO 335is with 62k on the clock. Does the rattle mean the full turbo system is shot? I dont drive the car very hard and if i could get away with pulling the turbos and replacing the wastegates with a fix kit that would be ideal. Thanks!
Wastegate rattle usually won't trigger a 30ff code.

You need to turn the wastegate actuator bolt 2.5 turns, on the rear turbo.

In the front, you need to take two no. 8 SS washers and glue them together (do this twice) and then put them in-between the turbo & actuator housing, on the two bolts. This will require you to fish them on the bolt with a magnetic pick up tool.

You should cut a side off the glued washers & effectively make a horseshoe out of them. This will make it considerably easier to fish them onto the a actuator bolts in-between the housing & turbo.

If this doesn't cure your wastegate problem, I'd say you either should replace the wastegate actuators or get new turbos all together. With only 69k on those turbos, I'd probably lean on just replacing the actuators with some upgraded SS ones.
Appreciate 1
Luper5258.50
      08-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

In the front, you need to take two no. 8 SS washers and glue them together (do this twice) and then put them in-between the turbo & actuator housing. This will require you to fish them on the bolt with a magnetic pick up tool.

You should cut a side off the glued washers & effectively make a horseshoe out of them. This will make it considerably easier to fish them onto the a actuator bolts in-between the housing & turbo.

If this doesn't cure your wastegate problem, I'd say you either should replace the wastegate actuators or get new turbos all together. With only 69k on those turbos, I'd probably lean on just replacing the actuators with some upgraded SS ones.
Awesome, I'm just worried about shaft play inside of the turbo. I have a wastegate fix kit from VTT so would i need to buy a couple new wastegate assemblies? I really dont want to replace these turbos since they should be the newer style and because of the mileage on the car. Also ive tried loosening the bolt and adjusting the rod but it didnt quiet down the rattle very much.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

In the front, you need to take two no. 8 SS washers and glue them together (do this twice) and then put them in-between the turbo & actuator housing. This will require you to fish them on the bolt with a magnetic pick up tool.

Awesome, I'm just worried about shaft play inside of the turbo. I have a wastegate fix kit from VTT so would i need to buy a couple new wastegate assemblies? I really dont want to replace these turbos since they should be the newer style and because of the mileage on the car. Also ive tried loosening the bolt and adjusting the rod but it didnt quiet down the rattle very much.
I doubt they are the updated Mitsubishi turbos unless the previous owner replaced them in the last 3 years or so.

You have 2 turbos, so you might be hearing the rattle from the front turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...iABEgKOH_D_BwE
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:05 PM   #6
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Saw the washer method on YouTube and was curious if this worked for you @alex-e92

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 07:34 AM   #7
ILoveAndHateN54
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 fbo mhd stage2+

Meh, the wastegate rattle always comeback for me unless you just replace literally the whole wastegate setup. Personally, mine rattles like a literal rattle snake, but I boost just fine - 18.5psi and I can hit 20-21+ aswell. Car is stock turbos, FBO.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #8
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

my 08 335i has 142k on the original turbos. no rattle fixes done(i do run MHD wastegate gate rattle fix) and the lock nut on the rear turbo actuator is seized on pretty good from many winters in NY. They boost great but on 2+ will occasionally give me 30FF codes. I haven't attempted any rattle fixes as i didn't want to strip out the lock nut.

Might try the washer method on the front turbo and rear turbo, but am just debating running em to their death while i buy a new set of turbos to throw on.

Excuse the slight topic jump but is there oem spec turbos with the wastegates replaced with one's that fix the rattle permanently? Given my cars mileage i don't plan to ever swap the turbos again.

Have heard mixed things about VTT's replacements and I don't think mitsubishi ever addressed the wastegate wear issues.
      10-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #9
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
my 08 335i has 142k on the original turbos. no rattle fixes done(i do run MHD wastegate gate rattle fix) and the lock nut on the rear turbo actuator is seized on pretty good from many winters in NY. They boost great but on 2+ will occasionally give me 30FF codes. I haven't attempted any rattle fixes as i didn't want to strip out the lock nut.

Might try the washer method on the front turbo and rear turbo, but am just debating running em to their death while i buy a new set of turbos to throw on.

Excuse the slight topic jump but is there oem spec turbos with the wastegates replaced with one's that fix the rattle permanently? Given my cars mileage i don't plan to ever swap the turbos again.

Have heard mixed things about VTT's replacements and I don't think mitsubishi ever addressed the wastegate wear issues.
I have the Vargas OE Replacement Turbos with the upgraded wastegate. Has rattled worse than the original turbos it replaced since day 1. VTT replied back and said "this is normal " and for me to apply the MHD rattle fix. Begrudgingly I tried the software fix and didn't help AT ALL even on 100%. Boosted fine.

Finally got around to doing the washer method two weeks ago and it's total night and day difference. Only rattles a tiny bit on cold start but it's practically gone while driving. Totally improved the overall enjoyment of the car now.

Told one of my boys this in our local bimmer group chat and he tried it out and reported the exact same thing. Basically eliminated all of it.

Careful not to put on too many washers as this could inhibit the wastegate actuator from closing. I only needed one anyways. Did the full washer and it was pretty straightforward.

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2022, 09:20 AM   #10
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luper52 View Post
I have the Vargas OE Replacement Turbos with the upgraded wastegate. Has rattled worse than the original turbos it replaced since day 1. VTT replied back and said "this is normal " and for me to apply the MHD rattle fix. Begrudgingly I tried the software fix and didn't help AT ALL even on 100%. Boosted fine.

Finally got around to doing the washer method two weeks ago and it's total night and day difference. Only rattles a tiny bit on cold start but it's practically gone while driving. Totally improved the overall enjoyment of the car now.

Told one of my boys this in our local bimmer group chat and he tried it out and reported the exact same thing. Basically eliminated all of it.

Careful not to put on too many washers as this could inhibit the wastegate actuator from closing. I only needed one anyways. Did the full washer and it was pretty straightforward.
It's normal for VTT turbos because they are trash turbos, not normal for any OE turbos to rattle and you definitely should not need to apply Wastegate rattle fix to create more lag try fix it.

It's no wonder VTT have a crap reputation. Glad you got it fixed 👍
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #11
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luper52 View Post

It's normal for VTT turbos because they are trash turbos, not normal for any OE turbos to rattle and you definitely should not need to apply Wastegate rattle fix to create more lag try fix it.

It's no wonder VTT have a crap reputation. Glad you got it fixed 👍
Exactly. Unfortunately I had fallen into the same trap that many other noobs to the N54 community have and assumed because ECS carried them and they make a lot of other performance parts for the N54 that it should be good. Now I warn everybody I can

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0