E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d ticking / rattle on steady acceleration

08-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
mullac69
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90 LCI

335d ticking / rattle on steady acceleration

Hi all,

New 335d purchase, I have a slight ticking / rattle that appears to be coming from the passenger side of the car (UK / RHD) (might actually be more to the middle, I haven't tried letting someone else drive yet while I listen).

It only seems to happen on steady acceleration, and when the car is warm. I believe the engine noise hides it slightly when you accelerate hard / go into higher rev range.

If you have the radio on it also hides it, so it isn't too loud at all during everyday use.

The car runs fine, pulls well, and engine sounds spot on when idle / revving when stationary. It just has this annoying tick / rattle on acceleration, although I'm starting to think it may be normal?

Car is a 2011 model, 98k miles. Running on Shell V-Power diesel.
I have changed oil, air filter, fuel filter recently. (after tick started though)

Oil was LL04 5w30 (Valvoline)
Fuel filter was MANN WK5001.

Video:

------

I have posted as a reply to this thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340829

... as it kind of sounds like a quieter version of the ticking from the OP's video above. That turned out to be his injectors.

------

Before I rip the injectors out for testing, does anyone have any advice / suggestions. Maybe I should just carry on running it until a further issue arises (such as loss of power / limp mode if it is an injector on its way out).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
mullac69
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90 LCI

forgot...

Forgot to mention, you hear the noise from inside the car with windows all shut.

You can't really hear it if the windows or sunroof is open, and the engine sounds okay.
Appreciate 0