E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2008 328xi replaced struts, but axle shaft fell out into boot (boot didn't tear)

05-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
supersnake83
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

2008 328xi replaced struts, but axle shaft fell out into boot (boot didn't tear)

Hello everyone,

Crazy title, but here goes the explanation. I did search the forum, but couldn't find anything relating to my exact question/issue based on search terms I used.

Yesterday, I replaced the driver side strut of my wife's 2008 328xi (e92-N51). I followed instructions from here (link) and here (link). The instructions from RM Euro worked without me having to undo everything from the New Tis instructions.

During the strut removal, I do believe I pushed down too much on the suspension and on the axle shaft, and the axle shaft tripod came out of the housing and fell into the cv boot (gaiter). Pretty much, just like how the warning is explained on the new tis link above. The good news is the cv boot didn't rip/tear. I believe the tripod fell out because while I was attempting to put the strut back into the knuckle and swivel the knuckle in place so the strut can be bolted down to the strut dome, I had a really hard time getting the knuckle to swivel back into place. I was only able to get the strut back in place by jacking up the knuckle (without the strut) to straighten the axle shaft so the tripod can go back into the housing (then I put the strut back into the knuckle and was able to swivel the knuckle in place to screw the strut into the strut dome).

My question is, did I ruin the driver side axle shaft and does it have to be replaced because it fell out of the axle housing into the cv boot? What symptoms can I expect if I did ruin the axle shaft (as explained in the new tis link). Once I put the wheel back on, I turned the wheel by hand (car is jacked up on stands), and I heard clicking from the driver side if I turned the wheel forward, then backwards. I'm planning on doing the passenger side strut tomorrow, but just want to know any thoughts on if I ruined the driver side axle shaft or what symptoms can I expect to confirm this.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
supersnake83
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Posting an update. I was successfully able to replace the passenger side strut. The axle stayed in place. I now don't think the driver side fell out, rather it was in an odd position that made it difficult to move at first, until I jacked the knuckle up to relieve the pressure.

Took the car for a ride and got it up to 85mph and no shaking, rattling, or anything unusual. The clicking I heard sounded like the normal sound when manually reversing the direction of the axle while spinning the free rolling wheels (since they were off the ground), so I think I'm good. This can all go down as an unfounded panic.
Appreciate 0