E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DISA valve N52 (inner)

07-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
beambeam1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport 325i

DISA valve N52 (inner)

Quick question: this is the DISA valve I have in my engine at moment but the flap seems very solid, I am not sure if the motor is operating it though.

The rubber membrane that would seal the gap inside it when the flap closes seems to have perished - how much would this affect the efficient operation of this part?

It's just I have ordered a replacement from Quarry Motors on eBay and find that the same membrane is flimsy and peeling away from the plastic casing too. They have offered to refund/replace but is this likely to have a great deal? Should I bite the bullet and pay £225 for the part from BMW?

I feel I already know the answers here but would like if someone could confirm if poor rubber = impairs performance of the part itself. I've searched and searched and all DISA flaws seem to correlate to broken flap or failed motor only.

Thanks - owner of 2006 N52 325i
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      07-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

The only way to check sensors, (or disa valves) is to power them up. A power probe works great for this, everyone should own one, as some like to just replace parts without knowing if there bad or not. Anyway, you can power up the valve to check movement.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      07-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
beambeam1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport 325i

I'm not asking about if the flaps move or not but whether the damaged rubber seal internally would impact the performance/efficiency of the part itself.

Power probe sounds a good idea though!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

I imagine not having a seal might do just that, however so slightly. I would look into some part diagrams (if they go that in depth) on the realoem website. Or let your car have a few days hiatus while you wait for a replacement. That little gasket cant be more than a few bucks.
      07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beambeam1 View Post
I'm not asking about if the flaps move or not but whether the damaged rubber seal internally would impact the performance/efficiency of the part itself.
It has an impact but I don't think anyone can tell you by how much. Unfortunately the gaskets on our DISA valves are not serviceable so I would live with it until the servo motor or flap breaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

You can actuate the valves in ISTA or INPA. Typically the motors are fine, its the flap braking off the motor shaft that is the issue. If the flap is loose, the unit has failed.

As with any gasket failure in the intake system, a vacuum leak can occur, which if large enough, can cause fuel/air mixture issues. This gasket not so much. There really isn't much to it if the gasket does fail. An oring or paper gasket would probably work fine.
Appreciate 0