E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Released* Dinan 335i Software

12-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #287
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
So I guess procede and the flash have an edge over every other ecu tune out there... if your crazy enough to go that fast
Yeah, it's not for me, but some ppl like the idea that they can run past 155mph. I could see the possibilty for the Autobahn, but for around here????

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #288
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Talking Just take a little speed and it'll be easy to do.

BTW do you still think the Dinan Flash is < V1.47? Be objective and ignore the price. I am just curious.
      12-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #289
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Well, I'll be getting the flash soon. I've discussed the warranty issues with my dealer and Dinan. I spoke to Lynn with Braman (WPB) and I'm making an appointment for next week, the flash with cost $150 (one hour labor). I plan on getting it dynoed shortly thereafter on a Mustang Dyno. Everyone here is argueing price, but the bottom line depends on your personal utility preference and for me I don't mind paying a premium for the warranty.
      12-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #290
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
Well, I'll be getting the flash soon. I've discussed the warranty issues with my dealer and Dinan. I spoke to Lynn with Braman (WPB) and I'm making an appointment for next week, the flash with cost $150 (one hour labor). I plan on getting it dynoed shortly thereafter on a Mustang Dyno. Everyone here is argueing price, but the bottom line depends on your personal utility preference and for me I don't mind paying a premium for the warranty.
Forget about the Dyno, drop me a PM so we can have friendly race. BTW I have JB2
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #291
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

As Terry, Shiv, and others have been saying, each tune has its merits. The PROcede V2 is super fast and complex. The JB2 is fast and inexpensive. The Dinan's niche is warranty and (?) reliability, but it's way expensive.

Reliability, engine longevity, power curve, and price are my priorities. It is not an easy decision.

I am surprised by how many posters are waiting to decide about the Dinan based on Dynos and 1/4 mile times. Even though it runs at 13.2 psi, I doubt that it will be as fast as the PROcede v2. Without any additional options, it should be about as fast as the JB2 or TT or PROcede v1.48. But it (Dinan) claims to enhance reliability and engine longevity.

Time will tell, eventually someone with the electronic wherewithall will get identical cars set up with the different systems and detail the precise differences among them.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, TOP SPEED! When is someone with the speed limiter off going to tell us how fast the 335 with PROcede v2 will go? This is a bigger deal in Euro, because one can occasionally max out, but also because speed is a luxury, it gets you where you are going more quickly. Munich to Berlin or Vienna in 2 hours, or to Paris in 3...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #292
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, TOP SPEED! When is someone with the speed limiter off going to tell us how fast the 335 with PROcede v2 will go? This is a bigger deal in Euro, because one can occasionally max out, but also because speed is a luxury, it gets you where you are going more quickly. Munich to Berlin or Vienna in 2 hours, or to Paris in 3...
You are dreaming . There is a lot of traffic on the German Autobahn, the best time is the very early morning for a high-speed test. I will prefer to have the M3 trunk lip in advance, enough time to get it because it's winter here. You will hear somewhen in spring about 335i top-speeds from Europe. I am sure a V2 tuned 335i can do 300 kph . The e46 M3 had a top-speed of 286 kph.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #293
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Dreaming is what it's all about. But hey, if that whacko can get from NYC to LA in 20 hours or so, what's Munich to Berlin in 2 (OK, just the A9)? Sans traffic, polizei, and good weather.

But seriously, we need to get Shiv to post up some top speed #s from a private air strip.

300 kph / 186.4 mph will be incredible. At that point the M-sport aerodynamics become critical.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #294
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Dreaming is what it's all about. But hey, if that whacko can get from NYC to LA in 20 hours or so, what's Munich to Berlin in 2? Sans traffic, polizei, and good weather.

But seriously, we need to get Shiv to post up some top speed #s from a private air strip.
I would love to test on an air strip
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #295
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Does the Dinan Flash utilize both Solenoids? IF this is the case, why is there a steep drop in power up top like all the 1.4X, JB's, Xedes which utilize just one? You would think they could keep the curve stock like like the V2 is capable of doing....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #296
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

It's a flash, not a piggyback.
The power curve is designed that way, to reduce engine stress at high rpms.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #297
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Dianan is always more expensive. Really folks...this is a BMW, not a f-ng STI or Honda rice rocket.

Warranty itself should be worth it's weight in gold. Afterall, what to u think all the piggybacks out there would have cost you if they offered their own warranty as well???

IMO, all of you with the 335i are being short sighted on this. Until now you were #1 stuck with a stock oil cooler that most people can agree is not sufficient for prolonged heavy track use, #2 stuck with stock flow rate on the h2o pump. Worst case with Dinan's release is that you now have options.

Dinan warranty: I believe it's a piggyback warranty. There is a chance that you could possibly be caught between Dinan and BMW on a warranty claim, but I have yet to hear anyone of ever having to go through that.

Dinan products are installed AT BMW dealerships by BMW Techs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #298
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

still waiting for some more dyno's.
dinan is advertising 421ftlb at the crank. i wanna see some number compared to my SSTT.

if there as good or hopefully better, i will look into it along with the warranty and top speed removal.
      12-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #299
KWA VaTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Whaddya benching 40-45 pounds?

If I were really after fuel economy, I would be driving a turbo diesel with direct injection, I am sure I can find some 50 mpg cars out there.

I will be driving some 600 hp car, so long as the car companies' average mpg meets a certain target.

Hybrids are a joke.
Currently, a joke at the race track, yes.. Will performance cars have some sort of hybrid technology in the future with really light super capacitors? I can definitely see that!

Your little turbo diesel that gets 50mpg would probably be getting 70mpg if it had a hybrid system implemented.

The amount of energy thrown away when breaking is no joke. Having gobs of torque available from an electric motor will turn out to be very fun when used in the new generation sports cars.

Don’t call a technology a joke just because you don’t understand it.

I bench 250 but, not sure what that has to do with it???
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #300
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWA VaTech View Post
Currently, a joke at the race track, yes.. Will performance cars have some sort of hybrid technology in the future with really light super capacitors? I can definitely see that!

Your little turbo diesel that gets 50mpg would probably be getting 70mpg if it had a hybrid system implemented.

The amount of energy thrown away when breaking is no joke. Having gobs of torque available from an electric motor will turn out to be very fun when used in the new generation sports cars.

Don’t call a technology a joke just because you don’t understand it.

I bench 250 but, not sure what that has to do with it???
Actually, I do understand technology quite well.
  • Perhaps you can enlighten me on how hybrid helps with highway driving?
  • How about battery disposal?
  • How about brake feel / linearity on regenerative systems?
  • Impact of the extra weight on active safety systems?
The technology today is a joke, used by people who like to feel like they are saving the environment....

I am actually an environmentalist but I hate when car companies sell snake oil and I hate the snake oil users! Like the self-absorb folk who drive the speed limit (by themselves in the commuter lanes). I don't hate the technology per se but the users are kinda wierd.
      12-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #301
KWA VaTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350Z

Quote:
  • Perhaps you can enlighten me on how hybrid helps with highway driving?
  • How about battery disposal?
  • How about brake feel / linearity on regenerative systems?
  • Impact of the extra weight on active safety systems?
The technology today is a joke, used by people who like to feel like they are saving the environment....

I am actually an environmentalist but I hate when car companies sell snake oil and I hate the snake oil users! Like the self-absorb folk who drive the speed limit (by themselves in the commuter lanes). I don't hate the technology per se but the users are kinda wierd.
Now, you are making some good points rather then your blanket statement!

Hybrids help with highway driving by the cars being able to have a smaller engine due to the added power of the electric motor. Smaller displacement usually means better gas mileage, but not always.

Battery Disposal, great point, our recycling of batteries is only going to get better and better. Plus they will start to last longer then the 10 or so years that they do now. When some type of super capacitor is introduced this shouldn’t be much of a concern.

Linearity of brake system, another good point. Remember that hybrid technology of the kind of scale that is on now has only been around for about a decade. This is one of the teething problems that I am sure will get fixed with strides in electronics and technology for these vehicles.

Weight, again we are headed towards some type of super capacitor, this will not be an issue, the new motors don’t weight much at all. Valid point, but cars need to get lighters across the board, there is plenty of pork to cut out!

Do a carbon emissions comparison between a 25mpg and a 40mpg gallon car over its lifetime. There is no joke there. Driving at lower speeds does cut down a lot on emissions as well. But, that is not a point I could defend (very guilty of it myself)

To me hybrids are a little like our new found love for ethanol. While we may be just breaking even from a energy benefit standpoint (we are making some notable gains on hybrids). We are modeling the new cars and technology for tomorrow. Something has to be done sometime when you have a limited resource. If people don’t care, we will as a country and world be in a lot of trouble.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #302
Scottward
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i/Sport/Step/Prem

Quote:
Well I think I understand the technology and have actually driven a rental Toyota Camry Hybrid and Prius for a few thousand miles.

Quote:
Perhaps you can enlighten me on how hybrid helps with highway driving?
Basically, when the battery is fully charged, it will use the stored energy to help supplement the ICE (internal combustion engine). While in this combined mode, gas mileage usually climbs around 30%. If you are cruising downhill, even while going 80 mph, the ICE will completely shut off and you can cruise just on the battery. Most Hybrids, including these two examples, come with a very efficient CVT transmission. Hence, you can be driving at say 85-90 mph and still get 40+ mpg. In the Prius I actually "accidently" got up to 95 mph and was still getting 39 mpg.

Quote:
How about battery disposal?
No data, sorry.

Quote:
How about brake feel / linearity on regenerative systems?
Brake feel is actually quite good. I have owned many different types of cars over my lifetime and definately have no complaints with the brakes. The regenerative aspect of them is completely transparent.

Quote:
Impact of the extra weight on active safety systems?
Not sure about how it affects safety systems, but with the battery being in the rear actually helps with the cars weight distribution.
      12-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #303
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Munich to Berlin or Vienna in 2 hours, or to Paris in 3...
Please tell me who's made it from Munich to Berlin in 2 hours.
      12-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #304
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Dreaming is what it's all about. But hey, if that whacko can get from NYC to LA in 20 hours or so, what's Munich to Berlin in 2 (OK, just the A9)? Sans traffic, polizei, and good weather.

300 kph / 186.4 mph will be incredible. At that point the M-sport aerodynamics become critical.
WHOA.......20 hours from NYC to LA? who did that? did someone really?
      12-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #305
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
WHOA.......20 hours from NYC to LA? who did that? did someone really?
No, I'm forgetting factoids. Roy Alexander (?) did it in 31 hours, 4 minutes. Mea culpa.

I have not done the 530km stretch of A9 from Munich to the outskirts of Berlin in 2 hours. But I bet it could be done . I was just suggesting a hypothetical. Most of us are well aware of the grey, dismal realities of traffic slowdowns and the polizei.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #306
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

Too pricey to flash IC firmware. I'm still going for the JB2.
      12-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #307
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

What? Back on topic? What happened to Prius hybrids and Autobahn burning?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #308
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
No, I'm forgetting factoids. Roy Alexander (?) did it in 31 hours, 4 minutes. Mea culpa.

I have not done the 530km stretch of A9 from Munich to the outskirts of Berlin in 2 hours. But I bet it could be done . I was just suggesting a hypothetical. Most of us are well aware of the grey, dismal realities of traffic slowdowns and the polizei.

Alex Roy

Quote:
What? Back on topic? What happened to Prius hybrids and Autobahn burning?

The problem is the Hybrid people are kinda like infections.... they pop up whenever they can.