E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

11-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #595
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
Your sister is indeed a cool person for wanting a Cayman.

The forever question for me is why a Cayman rather than a 911.

The only version of the Cayman that would make me not answer "no idea/ would be the "R" but it doesn't exist yet.

I know that the C has a better balance than the 911, but it would be very hard for me to choose the C over a GT3....Discuss.......
cayman because its probably easier to drive... and not to mention price. base 911 is usually priced very similarly to a cayman S. of course price varies a lot depending on options. but between the two, i'd have chosen the cayman S. what would you have chosen ? cayman S or a base 911??

cant really compare to gt3 since price difference is quite substantial.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #596
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you have to mod it to make it good, just buy the one that's already good enough (gt3)

On another note I pushed the sports button today on my car - quite a difference in steering feel. I am a happy camper. There is still a slight faux feeling , since the steering is not mechanical anymore, but on Sport the heft is back the way I like it. Happy camper now.
what else does the sport button do? does it give more torque or power? sharpen throttle response? is there an electronically controlled suspension in your car?

not familiar with the new F series cars so just wondering.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #597
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
If you have to mod it to make it good, just buy the one that's already good enough (gt3)
that is what porsche wants! They do not want the Cayman sales to cannibalize the 911, which is why they limit power. With the price of the new GT3 RS you can get 2 Cayman S with engine swapped for bigger 4l one. Mayme you'll even have spare change left.
      12-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #598
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red
Quote:

On another note I pushed the sports button today on my car - quite a difference in steering feel. I am a happy camper. There is still a slight faux feeling , since the steering is not mechanical anymore, but on Sport the heft is back the way I like it. Happy camper now.
what else does the sport button do? does it give more torque or power? sharpen throttle response? is there an electronically controlled suspension in your car?

not familiar with the new F series cars so just wondering.
The other differences I noted are a sharper throttle response and stiffer suspension. I have not yet tried the Sports Plus which amongst others, removes the stability controls
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #599
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth
Quote:
that is what porsche wants! They do not want the Cayman sales to cannibalize the 911, which is why they limit power. With the price of the new GT3 RS you can get 2 Cayman S with engine swapped for bigger 4l one. Mayme you'll even have spare change left.
I agree that Porsche is concerned about canibalisation and deliberately underpowered the Cayman. It is also clear to me that the Cayman is a better balanced car as well being mid-engined.

However the difference between a GT3 and a Cayman extend beyond simply power. I would consider a CaymanR if/once they come out. But until then the 911 GT3 and GTS (for those who need a back seat and can't have 2 Porsches) are the Bomb for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #600
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree that Porsche is concerned about canibalisation and deliberately underpowered the Cayman. It is also clear to me that the Cayman is a better balanced car as well being mid-engined.

However the difference between a GT3 and a Cayman extend beyond simply power. I would consider a CaymanR if/once they come out. But until then the 911 GT3 and GTS (for those who need a back seat and can't have 2 Porsches) are the Bomb for me.
Agreed, I know I exaggerated a little about just needing power to match the GT3. But with more power to the Cayman there's less performance difference to warrant the huge price premium of the GT3.

So you seem to be enjoying the smoothness of the N55. You like it better than the 135?
      12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #601
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yes, I like the N55 more (more refined ). I do miss the sports muffler on the 135, but then again I haven't opened up F30 yet. Something to look forward to in spring.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #602
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Yes, I like the N55 more (more refined ). I do miss the sports muffler on the 135, but then again I haven't opened up F30 yet. Something to look forward to in spring.
Come to think about it... you haven't posted any pictures of your car yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #603
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No snow on the tarmac, you can do that anytime
      12-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #604
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The other differences I noted are a sharper throttle response and stiffer suspension. I have not yet tried the Sports Plus which amongst others, removes the stability controls
so that means your car is also equipped with an electronically controlled damper!? interesting. this was only reserved for the m3 in the e90/e92 models.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #605
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest
Quote:
Come to think about it... you haven't posted any pictures of your car yet.
That's because I made up the entire thing.....). Actually she is a dirty one and sports the winter mags (which are not bad but not as cool as her summer mags)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #606
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No snow on the tarmac, you can do that anytime
I always like the break in the engine first. Plus I'm on snows so that's less fun
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #607
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red
Quote:
so that means your car is also equipped with an electronically controlled damper!? interesting. this was only reserved for the m3 in the e90/e92 models.
Yes I think that all F30s have them now. The MSport package I believe actually permits a greater degree of suspension stiffness than non-MSport cars. In addition mine also comes with the sports suspension option, which makes my suspension less mushy even in the default mode
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #608
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Yes I think that all F30s have them now. The MSport package I believe actually permits a greater degree of suspension stiffness than non-MSport cars. In addition mine also comes with the sports suspension option, which makes my suspension less mushy even in the default mode
RPM reviewed the 335i F30. Some nice upgrades from the E90. How is your breaking?

When you going to post some pics of your hit rod Lincoln?
      12-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #609
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
anyone know a place in mtl that has access to BMW coding software?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #610
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Likely Chris, Glen or Fahad would know this! What you need coded?
      12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #611
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
you know, come to think bout it, VAG motorsport might have the coding software required to code your car. you should talk to them. i know a friend of mine coded an e46 m3 over there before so i am assuming they can do it.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #612
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy
Quote:
RPM reviewed the 335i F30. Some nice upgrades from the E90. How is your breaking?

When you going to post some pics of your hit rod Lincoln?
I haven't really had the opportunity to try hard breaking.

I should take a pic of both cars, but they are rarely clean at the same time.....0)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #613
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I should take a pic of both cars, but they are rarely clean at the same time.....0)
Just bring the car to an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning and imagine yourself an autocross course and go for it: full throttle on a straight line, brake harrrrrd till the ABS kicks in, then move along and do some slaloms

Edit: I forgot the classic: donuts!

Last edited by kenneth; 12-03-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #614
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just bring the car to an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning and imagine yourself an autocross course and go for it: full throttle on a straight line, brake harrrrrd till the ABS kicks in, then move along and do some slaloms

Edit: I forgot the classic: donuts!
No probs but the first 1500km I treat her like a baby
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #615
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Just saw a great picture of Joel's Green monster in the latest issue of BMW Trillium's Contact magazine
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #616
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Just saw a great picture of Joel's Green monster in the latest issue of BMW Trillium's Contact magazine
They have a magazine? Is there a link?