E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 Engine Noise Thud/Knock [VIDEO]

04-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 Engine Noise Thud/Knock [VIDEO]

Hi All,

So cars been off the road for 15 months (insurance issues) and it's due to go back on in around 2 weeks. But, theres a noise which sounds like thudding or knocking and I've had that noise for a very long time and its bothered me just incase its rod knock developing. But, with the squeek I get when I shut the engine off I'm also wondering if it's the crankshaft pulley which could cause both a knock/thud and squeek.

What do you guys think? I need to either accept it's nothing major or maybe remove the sump and pull the rod bearings to see what's going on but of course that will cost a good £150+ for bearings and an engine support bar.

Oh and a couple of notes about the engine, theres a big induction sound because theres no cover on the air filter, turbo whistle is louder than normal due to exhaust so please filter them out when listening.

YouTube Engine Sound

YouTube Crankshaft Pulley Slow Motion
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

just read this on bimmerforum,,,prob nothing to do with it,,but is your dmf good,,i know your reving out of gear bit sure ive read this can happen with a duff dmf
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
just read this on bimmerforum,,,prob nothing to do with it,,but is your dmf good,,i know your reving out of gear bit sure ive read this can happen with a duff dmf
Hi rasa it's an auto, I'm wondering if it worthwhile and safe to remove both the serpentine belt and power steering belt and see if the noise remains. I remember posting a while back and somebody did mention the crankshaft pulley and when I listened to YouTube videos some did sound quite similar, ironically though I do have a receipt for a crankshaft pulley and belt tensioner in my book that was done 2017 so would be strange if it was that :/
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

the auto cars do have a dmf though,,unless im going doolally
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
the auto cars do have a dmf though,,unless im going doolally
Just so I don't fill up the other thread, turns out I don't have reluctor rings.. those slight rectangle shapes that I thought I could see may have been the imprint of the wheel sensor itself as the end of that is rectangular. When I went out to put the reluctor ring on the CV joint I quickly realised it fits nowhere and the actual shape of the CV joint is different, it doesnt have the flat bit for the ring to sit on at all. Seems that it is built into the bearing. I'd say either the rust prevented the magnetism or the sensor itself was broke.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Just so I don't fill up the other thread, turns out I don't have reluctor rings.. those slight rectangle shapes that I thought I could see may have been the imprint of the wheel sensor itself as the end of that is rectangular. When I went out to put the reluctor ring on the CV joint I quickly realised it fits nowhere and the actual shape of the CV joint is different, it doesnt have the flat bit for the ring to sit on at all. Seems that it is built into the bearing. I'd say either the rust prevented the magnetism or the sensor itself was broke.
yeh the magnetic pickup is in bearing im sure,,,,keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeh the magnetic pickup is in bearing im sure,,,,keep us posted
Hopefully the best resistant black paint wont affect the magnetism lmao, at the moment I'm trying to remove a rounded off axle nut with the driveshaft and hub off the car as I ordered a hub and they rounded the axle nut and left it attached which has put a stop in my tracks for now:/
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:02 AM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hopefully the best resistant black paint wont affect the magnetism lmao, at the moment I'm trying to remove a rounded off axle nut with the driveshaft and hub off the car as I ordered a hub and they rounded the axle nut and left it attached which has put a stop in my tracks for now:/
yup ive read about the hub huts seizing,,if thats the ones your on about..
Appreciate 0