E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > FRM Module Under Warranty From BMW

03-23-2024, 11:59 AM   #1
Karan335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i E90

FRM Module Under Warranty From BMW

Took my 2011 335i to the BMW dealership with a faulty FRM3 Module after hearing they’ll replace it for free.

They said they would do it for free aslong as it was the FRM Module.

After their diagnosis they confirmed it was a FRM module and offered to fix it for free.

However, The tech told me they couldn’t code/program the new module to the car because of my car being modified. One of the things he stated was my car being tuned and it also having a aftermarket digital cluster.

The service manager told me to put my stock parts on again and bring the car so they could program/code it properly.

Are they bs’ing me about how they can’t program it with my aftermarket modifications and tune on the car?

Anyone else experience this please let me know,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:05 PM   #2
Andrewah05
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i TiAg

Try a different dealer, that one sounds strict, I have went in and had a lots of work done with all my mods, pretty much full bolt on and coded to infinity. Then again, the digital cluster, could be an issue possibly, maybe some else can chime in. Good Luck bro.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 12:19 PM   #3
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Dealer can’t program the car without a cluster or any absent major electrical component, even if they liked you, or if you paid them.

(your “cluster” isn’t a cluster, it’s a aftermarket obd accessory).
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 12:29 PM   #4
Karan335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
Dealer can’t program the car without a cluster or any main components (your “cluster” isn’t a cluster, it’s a aftermarket obd accessory).
Appreciate the information. Do you know if there’s anything else that would stop them from being able to program/code a new FRM Module?

The tune?
I have a aftermarket iDrive Screen im assuming that wouldn’t affect this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:29 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Wait what they replaced your module for free on this date? I thought it was only 10 years extended warranty.

And I don't see why you cannot code a module if your car is tuned or modified. Unless the cluster is unreadable and giving an error on their tool or something. The rest of the mods I do not see at all how they would prevent.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:31 PM   #6
Karan335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Wait what they replaced your module for free on this date? I thought it was only 10 years extended warranty.
Yeah they agreed to fix the FRM module and pay cost of part and labour out of their own pocket.

Apparently from what they said there’s a list of VIN’s that they are replacing the FRM Module on out of their own pocket if the car has less than 300,000 KM

I’m in Toronto, Canada
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:33 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan335i View Post
Yeah they agreed to fix the FRM module and pay cost of part and labour out of their own pocket.

Apparently from what they said there’s a list of VIN’s that they are replacing the FRM Module on out of their own pocket if the car has less than 300,000 KM

I’m in Toronto, Canada
Wtf I'm so pissed lmao, I bought a new one thinking they couldn't do it. I also have a 2011 335is I'm in Ottawa. I'm pretty sure I called back then to to ask them but can't recall. Ffs.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:10 PM   #8
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate the information. Do you know if there’s anything else that would stop them from being able to program/code a new FRM Module?

The tune?
I have a aftermarket iDrive Screen im assuming that wouldn’t affect this?

And I don't see why you cannot code a module if your car is tuned or modified. Unless the cluster is unreadable and giving an error on their tool or something. The rest of the mods I do not see at all how they would prevent.
There’s very few, if any aftermarket electronics that can replace an original unit without disrupting or braking a link of communication.

Think of all the modules in the car as a huge family, they all know each other, and know each others roles and responsibilities. When one says do this shit, one goes and does it’s shit.

Now… if you just so happened to kill one of those guys, and replace it with some bootleg replica, the fams isn’t gunna just sit there and pretend like one of their own didn’t just get clipped. Your new “upgrade” is now an isolated piece of trash in the BMWs network of communication.

And that’s why your dealer can’t program your car, cuz your Chinese LCD’s don’t speak German, they might interpret it, and translate it, and show it to you in some corny font and bad grammar, but they’re never forgiven for murking the og members, so a broken link is always there.

The idrive screen you replaced was actually boys with the CIC head unit, it was actually his “head”, you think he’s talking properly with a new head that runs on Android?

You can change coding within original modules, it’ll still let the dealer overwrite it and program the whole car.

Put your tune back to stock, reinstall your idrive screen and cluster, and you should be fine.
Appreciate 2
Mike K322.00
      03-23-2024, 01:34 PM   #9
Karan335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
There’s very few, if any aftermarket electronics that can replace an original unit without disrupting or braking a link of communication.

Think of all the modules in the car as a huge family, they all know each other, and know each others roles and responsibilities. When one says do this shit, one goes and does it’s shit.

Now… if you just so happened to kill one of those guys, and replace it with some bootleg replica, the fams isn’t gunna just sit there and pretend like one of their own didn’t just get clipped. Your new “upgrade” is now an isolated piece of trash in the BMWs network of communication.

And that’s why your dealer can’t program your car, cuz your Chinese LCD’s don’t speak German, they might interpret it, and translate it, and show it to you in some corny font and bad grammar, but they’re never forgiven for murking the og members, so a broken link is always there.

The idrive screen you replaced was actually boys with the CIC head unit, it was actually his “head”, you think he’s talking properly with a new head that runs on Android?

You can change coding within original modules, it’ll still let the dealer overwrite it and program the whole car.

Put your tune back to stock, reinstall your idrive screen and cluster, and you should be fine.
Thanks for the information and explaining this.

One last question, The iDrive Screen I have is from xtrons. It still allows me to go back to the original BMW CIC User interface by just holding the menu button. From there it’s like it was never changed, I can view everything I could with the OEM head unit. It isn’t one of those cheap Chinese ones.

Do you think this is one of those rare aftermarket electronics that can replace the original unit without disrupting or braking the link of communication?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:57 PM   #10
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

No, just put your stock one back. ISTA will not recognize that screen and the programming/coding session will fail. It's not worth the risk.
Appreciate 1
Igor_M52143.00
      03-23-2024, 06:14 PM   #11
Eriksson042887
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I’m in Toronto, Canada
Which bmw dealership
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 06:15 PM   #12
Karan335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksson042887 View Post
Which bmw dealership
Policaro BMW