E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aux In - no audio 2011 with CIC & Combox

08-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
harveysduvet
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
Aux In - no audio 2011 with CIC & Combox

I have a UK spec 2011 E91 with factory fit CIC and Combox. UK spec cars didn't come with USB in the armrest as standard, just a 3.5 mm socket for aux in.

A couple of years ago I retrofitted the combined USB & 3.5 mm socket and coded 6FL to the car. The iPod audio and control worked fine. I've since added 6NR and that works fine via the USB too.

At the time, I don't recall actually testing the Aux in as I didn't intend to use it, but gone to use it today ahead of fitting a carplay box which needs to use it, and my Aux-in isn't working!

It is selectable in the iDrive menu and I can adjust the volume on the screen, but no audio comes out. Have confirmed it isn't the source device or the cable and so it's something car related.

Any ideas? I've done a search, but the only things I can find are where people have retrofitted a combox and the 3.5 mm socket is wired to the CIC instead of the combox. As mentioned, mine has had combox from factory and the wiring for the aux in runs to the combox.

I've been through my coding files and can't see anything obvious - attached for info. I've also tried default coding the CIC and Combox with the 6FL VO with Protool and it made no difference.

Thanks

Jon.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CIC_FSW_PSW.txt (17.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: txt Combox_FSW_PSW.txt (3.2 KB, 141 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

when you program in 6fl the aux port that is active switches
to the combox I believe . I know this is the case with the Mulf 2 hi

https://www.google.com/search?q=comb...bItT9pnGmcA-eM

Last edited by ctuna; 08-09-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
harveysduvet
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
when you program in 6fl the aux port that is active switches
to the combox I believe . I know this is the case with the Mulf 2 hi
Thanks - should that make a difference? The aux should already have been routed to the combox on my car as it's a factory fit combox, not a retrofit, so it should all have been going through the combox before adding 6FL anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Did you beep out the line to the Aux if you have then
you better start talking to the people on the coding and idrive
subforums and looking for the previous successes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
harveysduvet
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Did you beep out the line to the Aux if you have then
you better start talking to the people on the coding and idrive
subforums and looking for the previous successes.
Thanks - will try the forum. Have just had the back of armrest of - partly to checked I'd plugged everything back in and also so I could check whether I'm getting a signal through the aux-in socket. I'm getting one from there to the connector at the back of the armrest so there's no fault there. Will test the continuity from there to the input to the combox when I have time to access the combox in the boot, but I'm not expecting it to be that.

Jon.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
eku1s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M Sport 2011 LCI

Hi Harveysduvet,

Just came across your post - I also have a factory fitted combox but no 6FL or 6NR. I'm looking at doing this shortly.

Couple of questions if I may:
  1. Did you ever sort out your Aux issue? I'm likely to have the same problem I suspect! If not, have you tried just coding the aux input on the head unit just in case it's actually wired to there? Parameter can be found here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=12
  2. How did you retrofit 6NR? Is it just coding or are there any additional cabling required? I've read on here talk about another snap in adaptor but then I've also seen conflicting posts suggesting it'll just work on the standard USB port. My CIC is luckily on a firmware version which doesn't require an FSC code for this option.
  3. I have an E92. Where did you buy the USB cable in the UK? BMW only sells the right angled ones which are useless as they don't fit into the combox.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Luke
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

https://*********************/thread...it-guide.2159/

/threads/combox-retrofit-guide.2159/

s p o o l s t r e e t . c o m without the spaces and the part you can read,

I have seen the cables that go to farka connectors for sale on amazon and ebay and
even the pair with the center console aux and usb connector.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-16-2021 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
Leegbr
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK335 View Post
Hi harveysduvet did you manage to sort your AUX issue out in the end? I am having the same issue?

Thanks

I can’t remember the exact phrasing of the parameters but look for the following in the CIC and MEDIA Coding options.

If you have the usb linked to combox - code aux_hu nicht aktiv, on media code usb single and usb double to acktiv. This should allow aux to work. If you are wanting to use aux from the quad lock on the head unit then you need to code cic to aux_hu active then code MEDIA to usb single nicht Aktiv and usb double to nicht aktiv
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I don't think your Combox will be able to communicate to your Android HU over Most.

At worst you may need to wire up a fakra to usb & audio cable to replace the existing input jack with a direct connection to your Android HU.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #10
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Update Leegbra its already coded the way you suggested any other things need to be changed?

Thanks
I’ve just realised I have the same issue.

Coded the same way and have no aux from combox. I’m wondering if my wiring is wrong.

This concerns me as I want to get a CarPlay box and I know you can code them to the quadlock but I also noticed I couldn’t code the cic cdmm usb single and cdmm usb double to nicht aktiv. It just wouldn’t hold the changes... hmm

P.s in my previous post I said code media usb single and double to nicht aktiv this is wrong, it’s cic where those parameters are.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #11
opjose
Major
Rep

You do NOT have the same issue as the original poster. He has a standard CIC and you have an aftermarket head unit.

The Combox normally communicates with the CIC over Most (fiber optic cable). In turn the console aux and usb connector hooks up to the Combox, so the Combox provides the audio to the CIC.

The communication protocol is unlikely to be compatible with a second party head unit like your Android device. Did you somehow hook up the Combox to your Android unit? If so how?

That means if you want aux in on your Android HU you will need a direct connection to it.

You will need to bypass the Combox completely.

I mentioned that you can use a BMW fakra connector with USB and Aux, the type used for the center console, and rewire and repin the end with new plugs that can plug into your Android unit directly.

See this: https://archive.org/details/BMWTechn...age/4/mode/2up
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
opjose
Major
Rep

What you will be doing is going to be far from Original Equipment.

The OEM install uses the Combox or TCU as per the diagrams.

While there is no issue wiring up a custom connector for your HU, you may want to keep the original connector available in case you ever have to revert it to factory condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:03 AM   #13
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi Leegbr

Did you manage to sort your AUX out in the end mate without having to remove $6FL?
Nah haven’t looked into it for a while. Having problems with my logic 7 upgrade, so focusing on this before I look at the aux.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #14
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi Leegbr

What problems are you having with HK?
got a dud amp, waiting on a replacement.

also wiring has turned out to be harder than I hoped. I dont seem to have the little black connectors near the door sills and i dont know which wires to tap. I tried wiring to the wires that went into the back of the head unit but the front right one seems to play through the under steering speaker and not the doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 05:51 AM   #15
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Unhappy

Quote:
Update people I had to code rear AUX for my USB and AUX to work together.
Did you wire the AUX to the Combox? I am hoping to keep the AUX from CIC while keeping the 6FL. No one seems to be able to find the codes yet...
Appreciate 0