E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 325xi sedan gives a big jolt/jerk

02-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325xi 2007

So i own a automatic transmission 2007 bmw 325xi sedan and whenever i am driving the car , the car gives a big jerk when changing gears but it only happens once and all the next shifts are smooth
I , initially thought it was vanos solenoids because i had a code for one of the solenoids too and had it cleaned at a shop but the problem was still there . The car still gives a code for one of the vanos solenoids i.e the exhaust one

The car only gives a jerk in the starting gears i.e when the car shifts from first gear to the second . I had the mechanic drive it for about 10 minutes and he concluded that its not the solenoids or spark plugs and it is actually the transmission and the transmission needed to be repaired/ replaced which is a hella expensive.

I feel like his diagnosis is true and it might be transmission problem but could it be that instead of replacing the whole transmission, it just needs a transmission fluid change or something like that ?
I am asking this because the car is my daily driver and honestly the problem is not that big that it made it undriveable . I am literally driving it everyday . Apart from that first gear shift and rarely rough idling , the car seems to be fine .
I also feel like it might be actually the solenoid and i should replace it first before doing anything else to the transmission
Are there any other symptoms that could maybe pinpoint if it actually is the transmission problem itself or just the fluid or something. I got the car like 2 months ago and don't want to drop a ton of cash on a new transmission
      02-26-2021, 03:50 AM   #2
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Anybody got any clue ?
      02-28-2021, 01:43 AM   #3
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

I can't believe no one's got any clue about this
      02-28-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshab View Post
Are there any fault codes stored in any modules?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Well for starters, you haven't mentioned how many miles are on the car or the fluid, or if the transmission is a GM or a ZF.
In general, the most common culprit is the double square seal. Your starting point is to replace the pan / filter, fluid, and all seals.
Appreciate 1
2one3E902422.00
      03-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #6
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Quote:
Are there any fault codes stored in any modules?
- 2E98 (current). BSD, communication; generator: absent

- 2A87 (history). DME: VANOS (release), mechanism
- 2E81 (history) DME: Electric coolant frequency control time.
- 2E85 (history). Binary code serial data interface, message; electric coolant pump: none

Also i have the 4x4 , ABS , traction control light on the dash . The mechanic said it is due to the white VTG Module
Attached Images

03-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #7
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

1. Address the alternator/BSD issue. Unplug one BSD consumer at a time till the other 3 work normally. Then you've found your culprit.
2. Address the trifecta. Most common cause is a wheel sensor or associated reluctor issue. Strange there are no codes for that. How did you pull codes?
3. Address theVANOS solenoid. Swap the solenoids and see if the code moves.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
1. Address the alternator/BSD issue. Unplug one BSD consumer at a time till the other 3 work normally. Then you've found your culprit.
2. Address the trifecta. Most common cause is a wheel sensor or associated reluctor issue. Strange there are no codes for that. How did you pull codes?
I totally agree with this. Plus WTF you are chasing a jerky transmission with a christmas tree of stuff lit up on the dashboard. This makes my OCD go crazy.

Anyway not sure what transmission your car has but the ZF transmissions are known to have leaky internal seals/sleeves that can cause shifting problems due to pressure loss. Once all the other issues are addressed this might be a good way to go, I believe there is a way you can read the current transmission adaptations to see if the adaptations are on the higher range it points to the seals/sleeve issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Quote:
1). It might be a dumb or noob-ish question but how do I address this BSD issue ? Like what am I supposed to unplug and from where?

2) the shop that i had my car checked at said it was the VTG module problem (the white module i posted in the pics ) . Its disconnected right now anf kept in the trunk by me until i find a replacement module .
      03-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Quote:
I totally agree with this. Plus WTF you are chasing a jerky transmission with a christmas tree of stuff lit up on the dashboard. This makes my OCD go crazy.

Anyway not sure what transmission your car has but the ZF transmissions are known to have leaky internal seals/sleeves that can cause shifting problems due to pressure loss. Once all the other issues are addressed this might be a good way to go, I believe there is a way you can read the current transmission adaptations to see if the adaptations are on the higher range it points to the seals/sleeve issue.
Lol yeah , there a ton of lights on the dash right now and they are gonna stay on until i replace the VTG Module ( white module in the pics ) .
Yeah I'll get the transmission checked by a mechsnic pretty soon . Lets see what the problem comes out to be
      03-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #11
andrew2cu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I had the same issue on my 2011 328i but my issue was accompanied by a rough idle and my issue was the cage part of my oil filter cap was broke off from a previous owner. Might not be your problem but doesn’t hurt to check.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2cu View Post
I had the same issue on my 2011 328i but my issue was accompanied by a rough idle and my issue was the cage part of my oil filter cap was broke off from a previous owner. Might not be your problem but doesn’t hurt to check.
Well I do get a bit of a rough idle occasionally for a couple of seconds but it goes away on its own but yeah it doesn't hurt to check
Thanks for the suggestion 🙂
      03-06-2021, 12:36 AM   #13
csquared013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic metallic 2006 330xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol yeah , there a ton of lights on the dash right now and they are gonna stay on until i replace the VTG Module ( white module in the pics ) .
Yeah I'll get the transmission checked by a mechsnic pretty soon . Lets see what the problem comes out to be
If I were you and the transmission hasn't been serviced in a while I'd start with a fluid change and mechatronics sleeves like was said in here. Easy job if. Solenoids are right there too if you wanted to change them.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #14
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared013 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I were you and the transmission hasn't been serviced in a while I'd start with a fluid change and mechatronics sleeves like was said in here. Easy job if. Solenoids are right there too if you wanted to change them.
Yes i am thinking of getting the one solenoid replaced which is giving the error . After that if the problem still persists, I'll go for the transmission fluid change and lets see what happens . Thanks for the advice
      03-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Yer gonna replace a tranny solenoid without draining the fluid? Awesome, please let us know how that goes.
Appreciate 1
2one3E902422.00
      03-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #16
noshab
Enlisted Member
Kyrgyzstan
Rep

Quote:
Yer gonna replace a tranny solenoid without draining the fluid? Awesome, please let us know how that goes.
I was talking about the Vanos solenoid bruh