E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Should I buy a car in Los Angeles or Florida?

06-23-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Should I buy a car in Los Angeles or Florida?

I have a choice to make. I am moving to Florida in a couple months. I am going to buy a new car that will cost around $45,000 not including tax/title/registration. I currently live in Los Angeles. I am assuming these fees will be less in Florida. Does anyone know how significant this will be? I know how to calculate the fees/taxes for CA, but not for Florida. The reason I might buy it in LA is because I would probably be able to find a better deal, and I would have it all figured out before I moved.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I (e92)

Taxes in Florida is 6%. Doc stamp and title fees will run you $220 to $250 when you sign. You'll likely get refunded some of that as the dealer collects more than is actually required by the state.

Also remember that if you buy in Cali you'll have to drive/transport the car all the way across the country. You may decide to include such costs in your calculations.

Where in Florida are you moving to?

EDIT: If you move to Palm Beach County the tax their I think is 6.25%. I lived their for 6 months. Also if you're looking for the e92, you'll be hard pressed to find a dealer in South Florida, and maybe even the entire state for that matter who will do better than $750 off MSRP.

Last edited by theYardie; 06-23-2007 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by theYardie View Post
Taxes in Florida is 6%. Doc stamp and title fees will run you $220 to $250 when you sign. You'll likely get refunded some of that as the dealer collects more than is actually required by the state.

Also remember that if you buy in Cali you'll have to drive/transport the car all the way across the country. You may decide to include such costs in your calculations.

Where in Florida are you moving to?

EDIT: If you move to Palm Beach County the tax their I think is 6.25%. I lived their for 6 months. Also if you're looking for the e92, you'll be hard pressed to find a dealer in South Florida, and maybe even the entire for that matter who will do better than $750 off MSRP.
7% in orlando amd the cf area...
      06-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I haven't finalized anything yet, but it will most likely be Satellite Beach (is this a nice area?) or somewhere near by. I've actually never even been there, so I need to fly out there and check it out first. My gf is transferring to a school out there, and since I can do my job anywhere I figured I'd go with her.

It sounds like taxes are quite a bit less in FL. Transporting the car across the country would be a little under $500 for the extra trailer plus whatever the extra gas would cost for extra load on the truck. Not that big of a deal, but it is something I am considering.

Another thing is that if I don't buy it in CA I will either need to rent a car or buy the new one immediately after I get to FL. I think it will probably come down to who has the car I want, and if there is one in both places which one ends up being cheaper when everything is added up.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

If I'm not mistaken, Florida also charges a fee when you register a car that has been previously registered in another state.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqmotor.html#7
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

You would be much better buying the car in Florida. First, you will be buying from a dealer who will give you a loaner when the new car needs servicing. Second, Florida has plenty of BMW dealers, and you can get a fairly good deal if you play their quotes against each other. Thirdly, we need the revenue, so come on down.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
it will most likely be Satellite Beach (is this a nice area?) or somewhere near by.
I've never heard of it until now.
      06-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
imaznumkay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

vista bmw has bad reputation of giving clients the shittiest service ever (most likely, but not ALWAYS, but often...u see my point ha)
go for dealerships around fort lauderdale or pembroke pines if ur moving somewhere south fl
      06-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Florida is dirt cheap!!! Buy it there, Housing is pennies, taxes are pennies... Too bad the weather sucks so bad and it's so over crowded with assholes.

My advice, Stay the HELL outta Florida if you can, it's pretty horrible. Lived there for 4 years.

Bonus was that your Little Mc Mansion is about a 1/4 what it would cost in most decent states and no state income tax.
      06-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Florida is dirt cheap!!! Buy it there, Housing is pennies, taxes are pennies... Too bad the weather sucks so bad and it's so over crowded with assholes.

My advice, Stay the HELL outta Florida if you can, it's pretty horrible. Lived there for 4 years.

Bonus was that your Little Mc Mansion is about a 1/4 what it would cost in most decent states and no state income tax.
amen brother amen!

florida is a shithole

thank god i'm moving to chicago in august
      06-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep

Haha.. is it really that bad? To be honest LA isn't the greatest place either. On paper FL looks really good to me. I'd be right on the coast (on an island actually) in a brand new place. Something like that in LA would cost me 4x as much.

Satellite Beach is between Cocoa Beach and Melbourne. It's just South of Cape Canaveral. What I have found out is that it doesn't really matter where I buy the car. The fees will be the same as long as I don't title it until I'm in Florida. Although it would obviously cost me more to have to pull it across the country. I just don't want to end up in Florida with a deal that didn't work out or fell through. I have had that sort of thing happen before, and I would have to rent a car there until I figure out what to do.

I'm curious about something else that is unrelated to cars. Does anyone know what the gun laws are like out there? In LA County it's impossible to get a permit to carry one. I'm assuming it's a bit more lax out there.
Appreciate 0