E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Anyone use AMS Autowerks in Linden before?

03-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

Anyone use AMS Autowerks in Linden before?

Hey, I was calling around a few shops today to get my downpipe and catback exhaust installed and a friend recommended AMS Autowerks in Linden, NJ. He told me the customer service isn't always the best but he brought his VW there for headlights and said they were pretty cheap. So I gave them a call and they quoted me $225 + tax + gaskets for the downpipe and exhaust install. I thought this was very cheap, way cheaper than any other shop I contacted (ACM was $480 + tax + gaskets), so I wanted to see if anyone here has ever used AMS? I would love to hear back from some people and hear your experiences with AMS. The price seems great to me but it almost seems too good to be true. So if you have used, or know someone who has used AMS please let me know how the experience was. Thank you.
      03-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Just some google searching and I do not see good things.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
NickyNoNeck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Jet Black

I got a high quote from them and got a much better deal at ZNM Auto.

https://www.facebook.com/znmauto?fref=nf

Great time dealing with them. Ask for Zack, Nick, or Matt.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
kamfa39
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Black Sapphire

Try procom in toms river. Ask for joe
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all, I also called prime motoring in east rutherford earlier this morning and they told me "We'll get back to you", I waited all day and was pretty certain that I wasn't going to hear back from them but they called me around 7 pm and quoted me $250 for the dp install and exhaust. Seems pretty reasonable since they are around the corner from me. Last time I called a couple months back just for the downpipe they quoted me $270 so I was quite surprised when they said $250 for both. I think I'll most likely be bringing it there since it is close by and I haven't heard of too many horror stories lol
      03-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I am definitely not bringing my car to AMS after reading this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...stomer-Service!

It's a pretty good read if anyone is interested. I'm gonna stay far away, Ill bring it to prime and if anything happens to my car atleast I can walk to the shop and complain haha!
      03-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
roccy_miyagi
@Dat.Vermillion.E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017

went to get a price quote for a air ride suspension in may 2014, was told $3500, which i thought was a steal so i automactically tried to pull the trigger on it in august. diago told me he had to double check on everything so i left a 1k deposit. after almost 3 months of calling & stoping by the shop i finally got a updated quote but now pushing close to 5.5k+. my only only problem was the lack of communication & being given false dates. after it all i asked for my deposit back and was charged restocking fee's on the parts that he supposedly already ordered even after he told me he had to double check the prices.... like said above, not too many good stories about this shop. they do great work, but its just getting the work done is where you might have trouble.
BMWCCA NJ

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
bm6w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e24 M6 / e90 335i

I can vouch for Prime Motoring. They did my DP install as well as water pump and thermostat. Demetri is one of the owners and he is a good guy. I dont go anywhere else.

Brian
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
fructus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Xdrive M-Sport

Have you tried Bimmer Clinic in Avenel?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm6w View Post
I can vouch for Prime Motoring. They did my DP install as well as water pump and thermostat. Demetri is one of the owners and he is a good guy. I dont go anywhere else.

Brian
I used to hang out at their old small garage when my buddy would get work on his subbie done there and checking out all the other cars it always looked like quality work, I haven't seen the new shop yet so I'm looking forward to checking it out. I wish they didnt go to texas for the remainder of this week because I would have dropped my car off asap to get the dp and exhaust in. Its going to be a long week I'm going to be looking forward to this.
      03-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccy_miyagi View Post
went to get a price quote for a air ride suspension in may 2014, was told $3500, which i thought was a steal so i automactically tried to pull the trigger on it in august. diago told me he had to double check on everything so i left a 1k deposit. after almost 3 months of calling & stoping by the shop i finally got a updated quote but now pushing close to 5.5k+. my only only problem was the lack of communication & being given false dates. after it all i asked for my deposit back and was charged restocking fee's on the parts that he supposedly already ordered even after he told me he had to double check the prices.... like said above, not too many good stories about this shop. they do great work, but its just getting the work done is where you might have trouble.
That's unfortunate. It's funny how everyone has heard bad stories about them and how a google search can show you what kind of shop they are but yet when I called they said they were booked solid for the next few days. Strange
      03-20-2015, 12:27 AM   #12
roccy_miyagi
@Dat.Vermillion.E92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
That's unfortunate. It's funny how everyone has heard bad stories about them and how a google search can show you what kind of shop they are but yet when I called they said they were booked solid for the next few days. Strange
they do excellent work no doubt about it. some people are used to the treatment & some (like myself) don't feel that its right to drag "potential buyers" along
BMWCCA NJ

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

It can really all depend on the shop. I have no personal experience with them but other shops I have dealt with that were booked and bad quality usually only had a couple mechanics. Not hard to stay busy with less work. Add in if these guys focus on only big projects they will not care about a few bucks on a dp install.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #14
roccy_miyagi
@Dat.Vermillion.E92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
Add in if these guys focus on only big projects they will not care about a few bucks on a dp install.
exactly the power of the biggest dollar controls them
BMWCCA NJ

Appreciate 0