E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Act 335i Clutch install on xi

02-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335xi

Act 335i Clutch install on xi

Bmw 335i 6 puck race clutch on 335 xi= **** stars

I was asked by a few member including ACT, to post a few months after the install so here it goes.

Shortly after installing my mods my clutch began to slip, so i started shopping for another clutch, and at the time there was only a couple options for the XI and they were really expensive. So i called ACt to see why they don't have one specific for the Xi models. they told me they are working on it, but they did say someone else had ran the i setup in there xi.so i said what the hell. I bought the 335i act clutch kit. when buying it i was told everything was there. there wasn't a release bearing that made me mad but the BMW dealer is very close so i went and picked one up $75.00. got all i needed and installed the clutch all went very smooth.A little nervous because of its hard engaging reputation I bought the 6 puck race clutch thinking its gonna slam into gear every time but it doesnt its a great daily driver its been about 10,000 miles since i installed the clutch and i love it. grabs hard and strong. the only problem i get a streak sound when ever i release the clutch with out rev matching my down shifts... anyone know what it could Be? my buddy has an sti with a 6 puck and does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

Dam, now you got me second-guessing my choice to go with the ACT street in my xi...should be getting installed next week. I went with that despite being nervous about the power holding when I heard that the 6-puck was problematic in stop & go traffic.

Not sure why you're getting that noise other than the 6-puck is less slippable than a solid disc, so it would only follow that it complains more about rev mismatches than a solid disc. I always rev match, so don't think that would be a problem for me, but it was the reported harsh engagement from a stop that kept me from the race clutch.
Appreciate 0