E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rattling sound at idle

10-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Duke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Same here except since Im out of warrantly Im leaving my mods on (except for the cobb of course) and see if the dealership will do something with the latest TSB on the wastegates/turbo extended warranty. without the cobb installed & even before I had cobb and I was running stock tune I had pretty bad WG Rattle upon deceleration.

Oh yeah the rattle will stay VERY loud for a good minute or so then slowly wither away until its almost completely gone... or at least unnoticeable inside w/windows up, but once i drop the windows or open my door you can still hear the loose change in a tin can

J
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
I have noticed a rattle similar to this and have narrowed it down to being in M2 or when slowing to a stop just before it downshifts itself into 1st.

Sitting at a stop no noise. Put it in 2M and it rattles....bump it to 1M and it goes away.

Sounds like something vibrating against something just in front of the center dash under the hood. Can only what it del. Inside the car. Seems to go away after the car fully heats up.
      04-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #25
MoBimmaMoProblems
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i ES 2005

Loose rattling noise when stationary but disappears when accelerating...

Ive got a similar noise as the ones mentioned in the previous posts and still do no have an answer.

Tried to get it diagnosed at the dealership at the time of the recall booking but they couldnt replicate it. Seems to be happening after 20 mins of engine being on, very distinct and very loud.

Can anyone else identify this?

Video can be found on this google link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12JZ...ew?usp=sharing

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #26
S_Mazza
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBimmaMoProblems View Post
Ive got a similar noise as the ones mentioned in the previous posts and still do no have an answer.

Tried to get it diagnosed at the dealership at the time of the recall booking but they couldnt replicate it. Seems to be happening after 20 mins of engine being on, very distinct and very loud.

Can anyone else identify this?

Video can be found on this google link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12JZ...ew?usp=sharing

Any guidance would be appreciated.
I just experienced a very similar rattle yesterday. It had me a bit worried! I think the situation was similar. It showed up after I had been driving for a while, so the car was warmed up (second leg of a few small errands). It sounded rather loud and close, and I couldn't quite decide if it was under the car, behind the dash, or under the hood. Opening the window or moonroof didn't change the sound.

Whenever I would roll into the throttle, the noise would go away, but when the engine started to idle, it came back.

Once I got out of traffic, I hit some boost, and the noise seemed to go away and stay away. I haven't driven it again, so I don't know if it's still gone, or what.

I have had a squeaky blower motor, but I turned that off, so I don't think it could have been from that (unless the blower can spin with the HVAC turned off).

The noise sort of sounded exhaust-like, so I was worried it might be an exhaust leak ... but the noise was very intermittent. If there was an exhaust leak, I would expect it to be more constant.

I wonder if it could be turbo-related? But I don't think it sounds like the videos of wastegate rattle I have heard. I thought the wastegate rattle tended to be quicker and more solid-sounding.

Have you figured out the rattle? Or has it gone away?
Appreciate 0