E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 8 years and 155k trouble free miles

06-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 335d, 335i

8 yrs and 155k miles of driving joy

Today marks 8 years and 155k miles for our 335d. No mods. No carbon build up. Runs like the first day we bought it brand new. Engine has never been touched other than 6k engine oil intervals, fluid replacements, and preventative maintenance of regular wear and tear items. Truly one of our most favorite BMWs that kept its true "driving machine" DNA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Nice. What fuel/oil/etc. did you use? Did you "drive it like you stole it?" or did you respect your fine machinery and took it easy?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Nice. What fuel/oil/etc. did you use? Did you "drive it like you stole it?" or did you respect your fine machinery and took it easy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
For fuel have been using shell diesel when possible. For oil, using the bmw recommended 5w-30, longlife04. In terms of driving style, my wife does most of the miles. I'd say pretty normal driving with periodic spirited runs as these cars definitely need to redline periodically to keep them in shape. But certainly not pushing it every day. We do give our cars a 2-3 mins to warm up especially in morning. And only push it when engine is at optimal temps.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_du_garde View Post
For fuel have been using shell diesel when possible. For oil, using the bmw recommended 5w-30, longlife04. In terms of driving style, my wife does most of the miles. I'd say pretty normal driving with periodic spirited runs as these cars definitely need to redline periodically to keep them in shape. But certainly not pushing it every day. We do give our cars a 2-3 mins to warm up especially in morning. And only push it when engine is at optimal temps.
Sounds perfect to me. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Leo we are in Cleveland Park, where are you?
      06-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Leo we are in Cleveland Park, where are you?
Greetings! We are in the Annapolis area.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Today marks 8 years and 155k miles for our 335d. No mods. No carbon build up. Runs like the first day we bought it brand new. Engine has never been touched other than 6k engine oil intervals, fluid replacements, and preventative maintenance of regular wear and tear items. Truly one of our most favorite BMWs that kept its true "driving machine" DNA.
Great to hear! We are up to 108K on our D. It actually has been the most reliable car we've ever owned. Bone stock other than Bilstein B6 shocks. Other than 10K mile oil changes, brake fluid changes, one carbon cleaning and a replaced DEF tank (both under warranty), plus a battery, we've done very little to the car. Still has original belts, hoses, and embarrassed to say coolant.

I've asked for both coolant and transmission service and the dealer essentially refuses to do it. They say they have checked the coolant and it's fine (actually I've never added any either). I'm going to an independent next week to get the transmission serviced. Pan/filter, about 6 quarts fluid and I've asked for the megatronic seals to be replaced. The trans sometimes has a lazy 2-3 shift (usually when cold, only once per day) that I think is due to deteriorating megatronic seals. Was quoted "about $700". Old school shop where things work via handshake.

We love the car but with a recent move our driving habits are now more often short trips than long (actually perfect for an electric car). Knowing this is not good for a diesel, not sure if we should keep it much longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Quote:
Great to hear! We are up to 108K on our D. It actually has been the most reliable car we've ever owned. Bone stock other than Bilstein B6 shocks. Other than 10K mile oil changes, brake fluid changes, one carbon cleaning and a replaced DEF tank (both under warranty), plus a battery, we've done very little to the car. Still has original belts, hoses, and embarrassed to say coolant.

I've asked for both coolant and transmission service and the dealer essentially refuses to do it. They say they have checked the coolant and it's fine (actually I've never added any either). I'm going to an independent next week to get the transmission serviced. Pan/filter, about 6 quarts fluid and I've asked for the megatronic seals to be replaced. The trans sometimes has a lazy 2-3 shift (usually when cold, only once per day) that I think is due to deteriorating megatronic seals. Was quoted "about $700". Old school shop where things work via handshake.

We love the car but with a recent move our driving habits are now more often short trips than long (actually perfect for an electric car). Knowing this is not good for a diesel, not sure if we should keep it much longer.
You are right. These cars definitely need to be run regularly on interstates with the engine breathing. Short distances are not good for diesels. If large proportion of driving is short distances, good to take it for a few longer trips on open roads on wknds.

In terms of fluids, i am doing engine oil changes every 6k with def fluid, transmission with new pan / power steering / differentials / coolant roughly every 60-80k. Following the same schedule on my X5d, (that one is now up to 116k miles) and also running great.

Consider also taking a look at belts and the harmonic balancer and replace proactively. They do tend to go on these cars.

On ours the 2-3 shift is slow when the car is still cold. Usually once you let it warm up a bit more, should go away. Otherwise i think its pretty normal for this engine / trans combo as i have the same pattern on the x5d.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:

On ours the 2-3 shift is slow when the car is still cold. Usually once you let it warm up a bit more, should go away. Otherwise i think its pretty normal for this engine / trans combo as i have the same pattern on the x5d.
On the shifting I know when cold it holds 2nd gear longer. My issue is 3rd is slow to engage when 2nd is released, causing the engine to rev up then it bangs into 3rd. As it only seems to happen once a day, and the car is electronically shifted, I suspect leaking seals between the megatronic (valve body) and the actual transmission. Other possibility is one of the shifting solenoid valves is going bad, but I think it would happen more frequently if that were the case. This started occurring around 80K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
On the shifting I know when cold it holds 2nd gear longer. My issue is 3rd is slow to engage when 2nd is released, causing the engine to rev up then it bangs into 3rd. As it only seems to happen once a day, and the car is electronically shifted, I suspect leaking seals between the megatronic (valve body) and the actual transmission. Other possibility is one of the shifting solenoid valves is going bad, but I think it would happen more frequently if that were the case. This started occurring around 80K miles.
Not to worry, the slow 2-3 shift is a "feature not a bug" i.e., it's designed to warm the engine faster for emissions reasons. I had it turned out and do not miss it.
      06-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Not to worry, the slow 2-3 shift is a "feature not a bug" i.e.
In my case it's a issue. It did not use to do this, only the past year or 2. When it does the slow (not delayed) shift, even under light acceleration she can rev up to 4000 RPM in the middle of the shift, then bang into 3rd. I've had it happen when warm, but usually only happens once a day when it's cold. This is different than holding 2nd longer to warm up the engine.

I'll know in a little over a week if replacing the megatronic seals resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It did not use to do this, only the past year or 2. When it does the slow (not delayed) shift, even under light acceleration she can rev up to 4000 RPM in the middle of the shift, then bang into 3rd. This is different than holding 2nd longer to warm up the engine.
Just an update, The trans was serviced and 5 Mechatronic valve body seals replaced. The 2-3 shifting issue seems to be gone and it now shifts much smoother in general. I had a fluid drain and refill at 60K miles (less than 4 quarts replaced). Now at 110K miles the shop (independent old school transmission shop) indicated the fluid was due to be changed, and there was nothing of concern floating around in the pan. I was charged $780 plus tax.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

My transmission has also been shifting a bit lazy I think I'm due for service soon. Some times it has a minor kick, but for the most part it's smooth.
PURE340i104.00
      06-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Just an update, The trans was serviced and 5 Mechatronic valve body seals replaced. The 2-3 shifting issue seems to be gone and it now shifts much smoother in general.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
My transmission has also been shifting a bit lazy I think I'm due for service soon. Some times it has a minor kick, but for the most part it's smooth.
My tranny has had two fluid changes/flushes in it's 137K mile lifetime. Only problem I've ever noticed has been there since at least 60K miles. I've only noticed it since I started not driving quite as much and being gone on vacation longer. If the car sits for at least two weeks, the torque converter acts like it's not "full" and it takes a few seconds for it to take hold. Not terribly worried, as the behavior hasn't changed in over 60K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
Just an update, The trans was serviced and 5 Mechatronic valve body seals replaced. The 2-3 shifting issue seems to be gone and it now shifts much smoother in general.....
Quote:
My tranny has had two fluid changes/flushes in it's 137K mile lifetime. Only problem I've ever noticed has been there since at least 60K miles. I've only noticed it since I started not driving quite as much and being gone on vacation longer. If the car sits for at least two weeks, the torque converter acts like it's not "full" and it takes a few seconds for it to take hold. Not terribly worried, as the behavior hasn't changed in over 60K miles.
Did you use the oem ZF oil or another brand? I notice this has 2 other brands available:

https://www.idparts.com/automatic-tr...70-p-3010.html
      06-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #16
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Did you use the oem ZF oil or another brand? I notice this has 2 other brands available:
ZF.
Appreciate 1
B58557.50