E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Misfires like crazy, new coils, new plugs, same thing

06-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #23
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Could it be your O2 sensors?
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #24
charlieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
That's total nonsense. The same connectors have been used for years on basically every car ever made (Amp/Tyco junior timer and power timer pins). They don't "come loose". Not in an E90's current lifetime anyway...
There are threads with that exact issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #25
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Reset variant adaptations in INPA, let the car go to sleep for 5 mins then start the engine and monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #26
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Sigh...still no luck.

Luckily this is my 3rd e91 6MT project that is just sitting in my garage at the moment, but I can't seem to figure this out. Just last morning I started the car to run codes again and there are no codes, no CEL light, and engine runs perfectly. WTH???

I have no confidence in driving this car at the moment because I know randomly, it will misfire and throw codes when it feels like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:35 AM   #27
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Sigh...still no luck.

Luckily this is my 3rd e91 6MT project that is just sitting in my garage at the moment, but I can't seem to figure this out. Just last morning I started the car to run codes again and there are no codes, no CEL light, and engine runs perfectly. WTH???

I have no confidence in driving this car at the moment because I know randomly, it will misfire and throw codes when it feels like it.
Possible problems

Plugs
Coils
Maf
Map
Vacuum leak
Vanos
Reset command modules
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #28
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedamanualse90 View Post
Possible problems

Plugs
Coils
Maf
Map
Vacuum leak
Vanos
Reset command modules

Plugs new
coils new
maf cleaned and even swapped with my other e91s
Not sure what map is
No vacuum leak
vanos cleaned and even swapped with my other e91s
resetted all modules

still the same.

***I was able to get the injector connector rail off the fuel rail. Upon initial review I see some liquid on the male side of the injectors on the fuel rail. Looks like oil? Like dirty black/brown oil residue? it's on the male side of the connector and some is actually on the metal spade connector itself.

Where would the oil be coming from? hmmmmm.

It's getting dark now, but at least I have a lead I can go on. My plan is to clean the connectors off, dry everything all off, and check to see if the female side of the injector connector is tight/close enough together.

Does this ring a bell to anyone else???
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #29
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

UPDATE:

I cleaned off all of the excess oil that got into the injector harness and made sure it was dry. I looked at the female end of the harness and I'm not 100% sure, but it did look like it was spreaded kind of wide and far apart. I'm sure the male spade connector still made contact, but I closed the gap with a small pick so that all of the female connectors were close together and be a snug fit for the male side.

So far, so good. No misfires anymore, no codes.

I did try to purposely start the car with the injector harness not all the way plugged in, and although it misfired, it threw a different misfire code than what I was having before. The previous codes were misfire coil codes, but the injector codes were injector specific.

Either way I'm still monitoring it and I'm still driving it today with no problems. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #30
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Misfire codes are back. All cylinders.

I also have a crankshaft sensor code that had to do with the teeth/tooth error. I had that code without the teeth/tooth error, just a regular crankshaft position sensor and replaced it with a cheap eBay part.

I just bought an OEM one from FCP so im hoping this fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0