E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > To all the lighting/electrical whizes

02-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep
Drives: E90

To all the lighting/electrical whizes

I have a 07 tahoe and installed an HID kit, i'm still getting like a glittery effect. I would say its slight flickering. It doesn't strobe though or turn off. I installed a relay to get power from the battery, tried the capacitor trick, removed the DRL fuses, everything. I'm still getting the glitter effect. Is there anything else i can do? maybe try a resistor? Has anyone else have this problem? I even replaced the ballast, still nothing.
      02-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemigo View Post
I have a 07 tahoe and installed an HID kit, i'm still getting like a glittery effect. I would say its slight flickering. It doesn't strobe though or turn off. I installed a relay to get power from the battery, tried the capacitor trick, removed the DRL fuses, everything. I'm still getting the glitter effect. Is there anything else i can do? maybe try a resistor? Has anyone else have this problem? I even replaced the ballast, still nothing.

didn't know BMW made Tahoes.....and Tahoes with an E9X model designation either...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
didn't know BMW made Tahoes.....and Tahoes with an E9X model designation either...
I guess some BMW owners can only afford 1 car, but i have 2. I didn't know that i'm supposed not talk about the other cars I own on here. please do accept my apologies.

Lets not limit ourselves please, electrical is electrical... all cars have the same 12V battery.
      02-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

no idea. good luck. you might want to check out the diy section and see if there is anything there on HID's
      02-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
xplicitstylez
ThreeThrityFLY
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

you have to check the bulb! it might be a defective bulb. just get it replaced! i have an eclipse and it happened to that car too! that should solve your problem
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
the other option you can try is to throw a 4700uf capacitor in there as well, that will help regulate small power fluctuations.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

a capacitor may work, but let us know the outcome
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

I am not a hater but PLEASE!!!!! Not another truck with HID conversion that blinds oncoming traffic right at eye level!!

If the light housings are not design for HID, DO NOT CONVERT THEM TO HID, expecially if your headlights are at other people's eye level. The optics for a halogen light is totally different from an HID light, doing HID conversion using halogen housing causes excessive high intensity light scattering to blind oncoming traffic and causes accidents at night.

Please read this article from an automotive lighting expert:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels

Last edited by halB; 02-09-2010 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

sounds like the bulb has a shakey connection in the filatment or at the ground

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
I am not a hater but PLEASE!!!!! Not another truck with HID conversion that blinds oncoming traffice right at eye level!!

If the light housings are not design for HID, DO NOT CONVERT THEM TO HID, expecially if your headlights are at other people's eye level. The optics for a halogen light is totally different from an HID light, doing HID conversion using halogen housing causes excessive high intensity light scattering to blind oncoming traffice and causes accidents at night.

you need to upgrade your review mirrors so they dim at night. better than tint.
      02-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep

Thanks for all the responses, so i've changed both bulbs, installed a capacitor to each bulbs and still nothing. I'm convinced that its the ballasts. I'm going to order some digital ballasts with inline ignitors. I will see if this does it.
      02-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
I am not a hater but PLEASE!!!!! Not another truck with HID conversion that blinds oncoming traffice right at eye level!!

If the light housings are not design for HID, DO NOT CONVERT THEM TO HID, expecially if your headlights are at other people's eye level. The optics for a halogen light is totally different from an HID light, doing HID conversion using halogen housing causes excessive high intensity light scattering to blind oncoming traffice and causes accidents at night.

Regular lights blind sometimes anyways. Thats what I have dark tints for and a auto-dimming rear view mirror that all BMW's come with.
      02-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Not much so for the people that you are following, it is the ONCOMING TRAFFIC that is blinded by high intensity light that spills over to their lanes and hit people in their eye.

OEM HIDs have to pass strict federal standards for proper light patterns. Aftermarket conversion using halogen housing is the problem. They are designed to project proper light patterns for halogen bulbs that use filaments, not HID bulbs that use discharge capsules.

Last edited by halB; 02-09-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

They may have to pass federal laws buy it's the same thing really. Have you ever been in front of an escalade? There hids blind because of the height of the car and those are OEM hids. Same thing goes for a range rover , when I drive my moms people are always flashing me with there high beams. It's mostly the height of the suv not OEM to aftermarket hids. Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from. Aftermarket hids scatter all over the place and are worst than factory hids. But they are both more or less the same.
      02-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep

FYI smart guy, i don't have halogen headlights, they are projectors, bosch to be exact. And they have been adjusted to not blind anyone.
      02-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FYI smart guy, i don't have halogen headlights, they are projectors, bosch to be exact. And they have been adjusted to not blind anyone.

Projector refers to the style of light housing.

Halogen refers to the type of bulb used inside.

Not the same thing.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess some BMW owners can only afford 1 car, but i have 2. I didn't know that i'm supposed not talk about the other cars I own on here. please do accept my apologies.

Lets not limit ourselves please, electrical is electrical... all cars have the same 12V battery.
relax i was just giving you a hard time

a resistor is just going to limit current/voltage, so you don't want that.. I'd take a volt meter in line with your lights and see if you see fluctuations. If you don't...then somethings up with your bulbs/sockets. If you do, you can try sticking a capacitor or resistor/capacitor combo in there. The RC forms sort of a timer, the resistor limits the ammount of voltage going into the cap, thus taking longer to charge up, but the cap will definately smooth out any incoming fluctuations.

I'd start with the volt meter and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep

Quote:
Projector refers to the style of light housing.

Halogen refers to the type of bulb used inside.

Not the same thing.
Yes, i know.. I was refering to having projectors with the hid to get a smooth cut off vs. installing HIDs in a hologen housing, where the light bounces everywhere. I know the difference between both.

Going back to the topic at hand, I have the DDM kit in my e90 with the slim digital ballast. I went out and swapped the ballast out, and vioala!! that solved the problem. I'm assuming that the ignitor inline with the digital ballast gives it a steady 12v current. The ones i have now are not pushing a clean 12v, it sort of fluctuates. Digital ballast are ordered and on the way here. I will update.
      02-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
relax i was just giving you a hard time

a resistor is just going to limit current/voltage, so you don't want that.. I'd take a volt meter in line with your lights and see if you see fluctuations. If you don't...then somethings up with your bulbs/sockets. If you do, you can try sticking a capacitor or resistor/capacitor combo in there. The RC forms sort of a timer, the resistor limits the ammount of voltage going into the cap, thus taking longer to charge up, but the cap will definately smooth out any incoming fluctuations.

I'd start with the volt meter and go from there.

I guess i'm kinda sensative or "defensive" as my wife say's. I tried the caps, i actually tried a slew of things before going out and buy new ballasts. I tried running the cap between the ballast and the factory plug, no love there.. then i tried the cap between the relay power to the ballast, still nothing.. the ballast are the problem, so lets see if the new digital ballast will solve the case. if not, then i guess i'll get some better lighting halogens.