E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Extended warranty

12-02-2016, 05:38 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Extended warranty

Has anyone taken out third party extended warranty such as 'Warranty Direct' and, if so, are they any good?
The 3 year manufacturer's warranty on my partner's Golf expires next week and I think VW's own will be very expensive.
Any advice much appreciated - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Personally I'd take VW's own extended warranty.

I took BMW's extended warranty out on my e92, as you're less likely to have issues trying to claim on it - it's not unreasonably priced either, so can't imagine VWs would be bad.
      12-02-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
I've always taken the manufacturers extended warranty if I needed. Too many stories about 3rd party warranty companies not paying up for claims that the manufacturers warranty would have covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:41 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Personally I'd take VW's own extended warranty.

I took BMW's extended warranty out on my e92, as you're less likely to have issues trying to claim on it - it's not unreasonably priced either, so can't imagine VWs would be bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
I've always taken the manufacturers extended warranty if I needed. Too many stories about 3rd party warranty companies not paying up for claims that the manufacturers warranty would have covered.
Thanks both.
I agree that the manufacturer's warranty has to be the best way to go and I had BMW's on my last car.
We're waiting to hear from VW but we asked our local dealer for an idea last week and, whilst he couldn't give us an exact figure, he said the minimum cover with the highest excess would be around £400 - struck me as a bit expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

That's not bad.
I pay nearly £50 a month for the BMW full extended warranty (with £100 excess)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #6
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Yeah, for my e92 335 on an 09 plate, taken out at about 70k miles, it was costing me £40 a month.
      01-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
VW warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on I had rusting due to two design faults the wing liner rubbing and the number plate lights letting water ingress into the foam lining rotting out the boot lid to which I was asked to pay 75% of the repair with the rest being VW good will I argued with both UK and Germany HQ and got no where they seem to have very hit and miss results with dealers and the dealers word is final. I got so wound up I traded in the Passat to BMW got in my E91 and never looked back apart from taking it in to show the warranty manger who was a total arse with me the whole time "I would never buy another VW again and look what I just bought as a replacement shame that cash didn't go in your till as you might need that now with emissions mess your in, good luck" I always had VW prior to this so did a lot of my family now we all are in BMW's, Minis with one going Audi. So yeah that boot lid and wing has cost VW a fair few proper sales as all of us own and not lease paying cash each time.