E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

06-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I can't decide, which wheels I should look for. I love the 400M design (less spokes, less cleaning!), but I also like the 270M. However, I cannot find a conclusive answer on the 270M wheels (They are ET20). Some say they rub with 225/40R18 tires and say they don't. Besides that, the front sticking out may just be throwing debris on the side of the car, which is what I don't want.

Gotta do more browsing on that.
I run 270m on my wagon. They are a square setup 18x8 et20 and work fine with a 225/40/18 upfront and 255/35/18 in the rear. The fronts do not poke out they, are flush with the fender, rear are almost flush maybe with a 5mm spacer but I'd think you'd rubber more. You'd have to go over a pretty big bump to get a little rub but day to day you won't notice it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp View Post
Sweet
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Beautiful seats, where did you get them? I wouldn't worry about the oil pan, at that low mileage it shouldn't be a bad leak, only small seepage which is nothing to worry about.
Are you in Nova Scotia? How does the Audi drive and are they nightmares like everyone says they are?
I found them via car-part at a recycler in New Brunswick. Yes, I'm in NS.
Hmm, sorry what oil leak are you talking about? I don't have any such issue.
Yes, the Audi has been a trying experience! But that's mainly a combination of its mileage, TLC needed, and my OCD to fix anything I see broken. It drives nicely now as I have spent a lot of time and money to make it so. Therefore, I must keep it as I'd get pennies for it as used market doesn't reward maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z View Post
E91 here as well. Eljay if you don't want to go m package. Get the front splitters for the regular bumper
Good suggestion. I would love to get an M-tech bumper, but that's a lot of $ at the moment to get the full kit. Any particular brand or link you can offer? Most I see offered out there are for M bumpers for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #25
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I run 270m on my wagon. They are a square setup 18x8 et20 and work fine with a 225/40/18 upfront and 255/35/18 in the rear. The fronts do not poke out they, are flush with the fender, rear are almost flush maybe with a 5mm spacer but I'd think you'd rubber more. You'd have to go over a pretty big bump to get a little rub but day to day you won't notice it.
255 in the rear with no rubbing is encouraging.
I will be going with 225 square just to make tire management easier and since this is a daily driver, it will be sufficient in the traction department.

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #26
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Quote:
Good suggestion. I would love to get an M-tech bumper, but that's a lot of $ at the moment to get the full kit. Any particular brand or link you can offer? Most I see offered out there are for M bumpers for some reason.
So I went with a kit from this ebay seller. The body shop said it was a good fit and I haven't had an issue with them since.

Excuse the dirt, this is right after I got those wheels. I need spacers, badly.

Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #27
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z View Post
So I went with a kit from this ebay seller. The body shop said it was a good fit and I haven't had an issue with them since.

Excuse the dirt, this is right after I got those wheels. I need spacers, badly.

Thank you. Those look pretty nice. I'll hold off on them for now, but it's a good option.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #28
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Hello from across the Gulf of Maine! Welcome to the 3-peddle wagon club, even if yours has too many driven wheels...

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #29
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Hello from across the Gulf of Maine! Welcome to the 3-peddle wagon club, even if yours has too many driven wheels...
Hey now!! Be nice. I need my horses tugging at all corners to get to my igloo.

p.s. I love your Tasman Green colour.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #30
axe127
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e91 328i xDrive 6MT

Looks great! I've been casually searching for a set of saddle brown sport seats for my E91, but haven't been so lucky yet. Any troubles with the install?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #31
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe127 View Post
Looks great! I've been casually searching for a set of saddle brown sport seats for my E91, but haven't been so lucky yet. Any troubles with the install?
Yeah, it took a lot of searching since many places do not do a good job differentiating sport seats in their inventory. I asked a few places for a picture and finally managed to get one that clearly showed sport seats, so I bought them.

No troubles with the install at all. Very straightforward. Disconnected battery, 4 bolts, connector under the seats, remove, install new, reconnect. Done.
My sport seats came from a 2009 as well. In fact, the VIN number indicates that the donor car was produced just one day after mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #32
axe127
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it took a lot of searching since many places do not do a good job differentiating sport seats in their inventory. I asked a few places for a picture and finally managed to get one that clearly showed sport seats, so I bought them.

No troubles with the install at all. Very straightforward. Disconnected battery, 4 bolts, connector under the seats, remove, install new, reconnect. Done.
My sport seats came from a 2009 as well. In fact, the VIN number indicates that the donor car was produced just one day after mine.
Awesome! Well let me know if you end up disliking them and I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #33
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Nice find on the seats!
Do get the M3 steering instead Of sport wheels. You won’t regret it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #34
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Nice find on the seats!
Do get the M3 steering instead Of sport wheels. You won’t regret it.
Well, that's what I can't decide on at the moment!
I got the sport wheel from the same car from which the seats came. And it's heated like mine. I tested the heated feature and it's very nice and certainly something I'd like to keep for our winters here. And yes, I'd love an M Sport or M3 wheel, but neither come with a heating option.
So, I am contemplating getting a leather wrap with M stitch pattern to thicken up my sport wheel a bit. The downside is that sport wheel's rim is round shape while M wheels are more oval shape, so they are deeper and a wrapped wheel will be thicker, but round, so not the same feel. Hmm...decisions.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #35
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Did your non-sport seats have lumbar support? I want to make the same upgrade but I'm not sure how to get lumbar working on the sport seats since my current seats don't have that feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #36
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Did your non-sport seats have lumbar support? I want to make the same upgrade but I'm not sure how to get lumbar working on the sport seats since my current seats don't have that feature.
I am so glad you asked this question. Thank you!!
I didn't drive the car since the seat swap and I just went to take a look and realized that my old non-sport seats have lumbar support and the sport seats do not! I thought the button on the side with forward-back direction is the lumbar on the sport seats, but I just realized that it is for the side bolsters.
So, I am glad no one bought my old seats just yet as I will harvest the lumbar wiring harness and pump etc from those and retrofit to my sport seats. Too bad I didn't realized that earlier as now I'll have to remove the seats again. Bugger.

And I found a DIY for it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494469
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #37
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
I am so glad you asked this question. Thank you!!
I didn't drive the car since the seat swap and I just went to take a look and realized that my old non-sport seats have lumbar support and the sport seats do not! I thought the button on the side with forward-back direction is the lumbar on the sport seats, but I just realized that it is for the side bolsters.
So, I am glad no one bought my old seats just yet as I will harvest the lumbar wiring harness and pump etc from those and retrofit to my sport seats. Too bad I didn't realized that earlier as now I'll have to remove the seats again. Bugger.

And I found a DIY for it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494469
Definitely something to watch out for - lumbar was part of the Premium Package most years, with Sport being a separate option package. So the seats come both ways.

Getting lumbar support was actually the only reason I bought the Premium Package on my wagon. Leather was free that year - "Value Package" on '11 wagons, so other than that there really wasn't much in the Premium package I cared about.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #38
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Well, my lumbar retrofit has hit a bit of an obstacle. After looking at the various parts diagrams, I realized that Sports seat with lumbar require a different pump than non-Sport seats with just lumbar support. Basically, the pump has to have two tube outlets to inflate both the lumbar and side bolsters pads.
So, I guess I will not be pulling that out of my old non-Sport seats then.
Of course, the pump is the most expensive part of the retrofit.

Perhaps I should take out the switch, harness, and the Lobrosis pads out of my non-sport anyway and at least have those parts of the retrofit. I'll have to double-check those parts again.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #39
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Installed Style 270M wheels (18x8, ET20) with 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
What a difference! It's my first time on these tires, but I am impressed so far. This combo has greatly improved the handling and feel of the car, which is not surprising coming from 205/55R16.

I did a lot of reading on whether these wheels would stick out too much and cause issues, but there is no issue. The fronts are quite flush with the fenders, but cause no problems. The rears are just fine and still tucked in a bit. I love the new look!

Here's a quick picture.

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #40
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Silly suggestion

Quote:
Well, my lumbar retrofit has hit a bit of an obstacle. After looking at the various parts diagrams, I realized that Sports seat with lumbar require a different pump than non-Sport seats with just lumbar support. Basically, the pump has to have two tube outlets to inflate both the lumbar and side bolsters pads.
So, I guess I will not be pulling that out of my old non-Sport seats then.
Of course, the pump is the most expensive part of the retrofit.

Perhaps I should take out the switch, harness, and the Lobrosis pads out of my non-sport anyway and at least have those parts of the retrofit. I'll have to double-check those parts again.
Have you considered installing both pumps?
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #41
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9106 View Post
Have you considered installing both pumps?
Hmm, would that work? I think there is only one electrical connector for either type of pump, so I don't think I can connect two individual pumps.
See here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=52_3184
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #42
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Hmm, would that work? I think there is only one electrical connector for either type of pump, so I don't think I can connect two individual pumps.
See here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=52_3184
Can't tell from the diagram, but I would guess all you need is to provide 12VDC to the pump/switch leads which you should be able to splice off the side bolster pump power connector.

Might be worth a try.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #43
eljay
Colonel
Rep

I didn't get a chance to play with the lumbar stuff just yet. I just saved the diagrams and I will look into them when I have time, which may be a while as we just had a baby girl born a couple of weeks ago!

I did manage to put together the whole glacier trim package and installed the M Sport door sills. I also have a leather steering wheel wrap ready for my sports wheel when I find the time. And I hope to find either an M Sport shifter or a ZHP knob.

And just a quick wash and wax and some pics of the Babywagen.

Little munchkin's space:

With the other German...

And a little silly touch on the keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #44
axe127
Private First Class
Rep

Looks great! Love the 270Ms.

Is the sport wheel (without the wrap) a big upgrade over the non-sport wheel? I'm looking at getting a new wheel, but I can decide between an M3 wheel or a heated sport wheel. I've grown spoiled by the heat in my stock wheel, unfortunately. Seems like the only heated M-style wheel is the e89 M Sport wheel, but those are near impossible to find with heat and no paddles.
Appreciate 0