E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY E90 N54 Valve Cover Gasket

07-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #353
aa87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Sedan

Thanks to this write up, i just completed this job. The PCV valve hose was self explanatory. I also didn't put in the spark plug guides until after i put the valve cover back on, and they slid down pretty easily. It made it a hell of a lot easier to replace the valve cover without them.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #354
stewbets
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the OP for this excellent DIY. I read this whole thread and felt more than prepared to change my VCG. Everything went smoothly. No broken connectors. Burning oil smell in the cabin is gone.

The one contribution I'd like to make is the tool I fabbed to remove the three ground posts. I didn't have a 10mm deep well socket and apparently there are a bunch that don't fit anyway, so I took my 3/8" 10mm socket and welded it into a 6" piece of 1/2" EMT conduit that I had laying around. This required cutting a slit in the conduit so the socket would slide in, but the whole process took about 5 minutes and worked perfectly. I just clamped vice grips to the end of the conduit and used it to wrench the posts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #355
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed

What the hell kind of deep sockets do you guys have? I tried with my deep socket and it's no where close to fit on it.

Also my wiring harness bolts seem to be steel and not aluminum? Odd.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #356
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the OP for this excellent DIY. I read this whole thread and felt more than prepared to change my VCG. Everything went smoothly. No broken connectors. Burning oil smell in the cabin is gone.

The one contribution I'd like to make is the tool I fabbed to remove the three ground posts. I didn't have a 10mm deep well socket and apparently there are a bunch that don't fit anyway, so I took my 3/8" 10mm socket and welded it into a 6" piece of 1/2" EMT conduit that I had laying around. This required cutting a slit in the conduit so the socket would slide in, but the whole process took about 5 minutes and worked perfectly. I just clamped vice grips to the end of the conduit and used it to wrench the posts.
Great innovation but it could've been simpler by purchasing plumbing tubular spanners. I purchased a set for installing mixer taps froman automotive store in Australia called Supercheap but for you Americans amazon has them https://www.amazon.com/Tubular-Spann.../dp/B01NCJH7TG. Basically use the 10mm one and on the other end use a standard 14mm (or whatever fits) socket on a ratchet
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #357
stewbets
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesam View Post
Great innovation but it could've been simpler by purchasing plumbing tubular spanners. I purchased a set for installing mixer taps froman automotive store in Australia called Supercheap but for you Americans amazon has them https://www.amazon.com/Tubular-Spann.../dp/B01NCJH7TG. Basically use the 10mm one and on the other end use a standard 14mm (or whatever fits) socket on a ratchet
Well, having the right tool will always be easier. The point was that I didn't have it. Others have and will be in the same situation, and once you're there you don't want to wait a couple days for the right tool. Besides, I saved $13!

Thanks for sharing the link for the tubular wrenches. It's always good to know what else is out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #358
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Well, having the right tool will always be easier. The point was that I didn't have it. Others have and will be in the same situation, and once you're there you don't want to wait a couple days for the right tool. Besides, I saved $13!

Thanks for sharing the link for the tubular wrenches. It's always good to know what else is out there.
Yep point taken and as mentioned a great idea. The main advantage of the tube spanners (from my point of view) is that it allows for a torque wrench to be used
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #359
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed

Doing this job right now FYI at 72k miles my PCV holes are perfectly clean. I can't confirm if valve cover is 100% (no service records before I bought) original.

Valve cover has the factory stickers so I'm 80% sure it's the original. I guess it all comes down the the oil changes that were done previously.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #360
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Planning on doing this too after getting a CEL after a WOT run and having some real harsh idle that went away after driving for a bit.

Read the code for a misfire, pulled the spark plug and found oil in the well.

Thing is, I'm only at 35k on the odometer 😂 on the joy

Thanks OP, pics will come in handy soon
Appreciate 0