E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Engine making a loud chirp chirp chirp sound?

11-23-2015, 01:21 AM   #23
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I found it to be very inconsistent also. I actually connected a gauge so that I could read the crankcase pressure while I drove and I could see, numerically, that it was inconsistent.

I also noticed an increase in oil consumption and smell so I took off the intake manifold during the valve cover work but found the carbon buildup to be reasonable. Not sparkling clean like a port-injected engine, but reasonable.

2500 miles on a bad PCV valve isn't ideal of course but it might not be so bad either. On the highway the engine struggles to find sufficient vacuum so PCV regulator malfunctions become somewhat of a non-issue. It's mostly at zero throttle that the PCV valve is really important to prevent the crankcase from being exposed to full intake manifold vacuum. So unless your 2500 mile road trip consisted of stop and go traffic or long downhill coasts, it probably didn't make things much worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #24
weehe126
Colonel
Rep

Well the trip back was pretty much all down hill as it was from Colorado to Texas lol. But it is probably fine as you said. One thing im curious about, did you experience long cranks or lurching when in stop and go traffic? Both these started for me about 4 months ago and am wondering if they are related. Almost feels like a vac leak but everything checked out. I guess I do technically have a vac leak since the pvc valve is pulling in air.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #25
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No but I found that holding the engine at 2000RPM in Neutral for a few seconds would create some pretty significant backfires when I let off the pedal. I can't explain it, but it went away with the new valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #26
weehe126
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
No but I found that holding the engine at 2000RPM in Neutral for a few seconds would create some pretty significant backfires when I let off the pedal. I can't explain it, but it went away with the new valve cover.
Interesting, I have the PPK so I have normal backfire on decel, so wouldn't notice different backfires.

I am pretty sure that my front main seal will need to be replaced. From looking at your pictures of the dissected VC, it would appear the valve that was ripped on yours and probably mine is just a check valve. I put a vac tube and check valve on the vac nipple to see if the squealing would stop, and it didn't. I bet I already did too much damage to the main seal.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #27
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not that I suggest doing this, but the only way to force the PCV valve to stop the squealing would be to pump air into the nipple. You need outside air pressure to force the valve closed so that it will stop drawing vacuum from the intake. This is generally unachievable when the diaphragm is leaking.

The check valves don't control vacuum, they simply allow it. There are 2 in the system and they both open outward to ensure that the crankcase never gets pressurized, they are the two red/orange free-swinging covers in my photos and are simple and robust. Your problem, like mine, is the opposite -- the round diaphragm regulator is allowing too much vacuum. It's the regulator that rips and fails, not the check valves.

I have the PPK too and the loud crackling backfires settled down to a sporty gurgle after the valve cover replacement.

Last edited by vespa; 11-24-2015 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #28
weehe126
Colonel
Rep

Replaced the VC the weekend and have driven about 100 miles since. So far no squealing sound, but it unfortunately didn't change my long cranks and lurching problem. So hopefully I didn't damage the main seal with all the driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #29
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think the only damage you can do to the main seals is to make them leak oil. Your lunging crank is surely something else. Maybe fuel pump? Did you check spark plugs and intake valves when you had the engine apart? Check inpa codes and/or JB4 logs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #30
weehe126
Colonel
Rep

Plugs and coils are good. That was the first thing I looked at months ago. Fuel pump and injectors check out fine in Rhiengold. Plan on just blasting the valves anyways so will grab some pics of them before incase it actually does help.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #31
Jalpa44
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Quote:
Update: 3 months after replacing the front main seal, the rear main blew, sounding exactly like this:

It turns out that the seals aren't actually "blowing", they're just sucking -- literally sucking in air and whistling like a party balloon. In my case this was the result of a failed PCV valve allowing excess crankcase vacuum. I replaced the PCV valve, not the rear main seal, and all is well now.

Detailed PCV valve info here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18947012
Hello Guys! My 2012 535i making the same noise! Just bought new Valve Cover ($407, free shipping)! Thinking to replace it myself.. A lot of work..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #32
sd306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E92 335i N55 M-Sport

Mine was the valve cover, all good now! They replaced the front and rear main seal under warranty first, but it was still happening.
100% E85 | JB4 ISO w/ FlexFuel wires and Rev 3 | MHD (JB4 BEF) | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | VRSF Catless DP | BMW PE | VRSF CP | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | AD-Engineering Low Temp Oil Thermostat | xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash | 12MM BMS Spacers | BMS Intake | BMS OCC | Pure Turbo Stage 1 | GFB DV+ | Pure Inlet | N20 TMAP | NGK Plugs | Rouge Engineering Trans Mounts | M3 upper and lower control arms
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #33
remixsecret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I replaced my PCV valve with the part offered by Vanos' website. Squeal is still existing and I am wondering what else could be the issue that makes it keep squealing? Is it because the rear main seal is completely screwed? Please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #34
weehe126
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixsecret View Post
I replaced my PCV valve with the part offered by Vanos' website. Squeal is still existing and I am wondering what else could be the issue that makes it keep squealing? Is it because the rear main seal is completely screwed? Please let me know!
Pretty sure there are 3-4 pcv valves in the VC. So if you only replaced the big one, probably need a new VC.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #35
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There are 2 simple one-way valves and 1 pressure regulator diaphragm. It's the pressure regulator failure that causes the squealing by failing to close as needed to limit crankcase vacuum. It's certainly conceivable that something could have gone wrong with the diaphragm repair process that made it reluctant to close properly.

You can measure the crankcase vacuum to see if the regulator is working properly and of course if it still squeals with the oil cap off then the problem is not PCV related.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #36
remixsecret
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There are 2 simple one-way valves and 1 pressure regulator diaphragm. It's the pressure regulator failure that causes the squealing by failing to close as needed to limit crankcase vacuum. It's certainly conceivable that something could have gone wrong with the diaphragm repair process that made it reluctant to close properly.

You can measure the crankcase vacuum to see if the regulator is working properly and of course if it still squeals with the oil cap off then the problem is not PCV related.
I will take another look at it again and will try removing the oil cap to see if the noise goes away. With the repair process, I just mudded the outside of the PCV cap. Back to what weehe126 said, in such case that I do see the valve being fully sealed, would I just have to get a new valve cover then? How much does that cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #37
remixsecret
Private First Class
Rep

Update: I took the oil cap off and noise goes away even after the diaphragm fix. Do you guys just recommend changing the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #38
weehe126
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixsecret View Post
Update: I took the oil cap off and noise goes away even after the diaphragm fix. Do you guys just recommend changing the valve cover?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #39
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

Quote:

Hey Vespa, quick question for you. If the engine still squeals after the oil cap has been taken off. Oil cap has a decent vacuum when i try to pull it off. Forgot if this was normal or not from my research earlier this year on the pcv valve issue. What are the other possibilities?

About 10 months ago I had the pcv valve issue and had the valve cover replaced, which solved my problems. But now I am having rough idle problems and the squeal noise is beginning to come back. Currently no codes. I had the serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley replaced 10 months ago too, since that's what I thought my initial problem was.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #40
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkong View Post
Hey Vespa, quick question for you. If the engine still squeals after the oil cap has been taken off. Oil cap has a decent vacuum when i try to pull it off. Forgot if this was normal or not from my research earlier this year on the pcv valve issue. What are the other possibilities?

About 10 months ago I had the pcv valve issue and had the valve cover replaced, which solved my problems. But now I am having rough idle problems and the squeal noise is beginning to come back. Currently no codes. I had the serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley replaced 10 months ago too, since that's what I thought my initial problem was.
Front main seal probably needs to be replaced if it’s not the PCV(valve cover) again.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #41
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If it squeals without the oil cap then there is absolutely no relation to the PCV system. A proper working system will have strong vacuum on the oil cap and a failed system will have even stronger vacuum -- it's pretty tough to tell the difference by feel and in either case the engine will stumble in the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #42
D.I.P.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i xDrive

Looks like im having this issue as well. Had the Chirping and spotted an oil leak from the Oil Filter/Cooler Housing area. Replaced the gaskets, Belt and Tensioner/Idler pulleys. Chirping went away for a while but came back after about a month and is now back full on big bird style... Tried the oil cap trick yesterday and the noise is still there when i pull the Cap off completely. Sounds like it needs a front main seal as i took a closer look yesterday and it seems like an oil bomb went off in the front engine area. Wondering how much a PITA changing that Front Main seal is going to be and if i might not just be better off sending the car off to the Stealership or finding a good Indy here in Jersey. Sigh... always something.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #43
F46
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 n55 [2012]

Hi, Its seems I got the same problem. My car is a M135i E82 N55 (2012). I got a strange noise when I'm near to stop (specially near 0KMH). Is not the typical brake sound, Its like a "water pump" or "frog" sound.

Any advice¿?

Clip sound: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491394
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #44
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F46 View Post
Hi, Its seems I got the same problem. My car is a M135i E82 N55 (2012). I got a strange noise when I'm near to stop (specially near 0KMH). Is not the typical brake sound, Its like a "water pump" or "frog" sound.

Any advice¿?

Clip sound: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491394
Your PCV. test it.
Appreciate 0