E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dynamic Autowerks n54 turbos



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #595
RJC612
Private First Class
80
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelobes View Post
So what do you think caused the front turbo drain line to be too long? Is the turbofold longer than OEM? since the rotating assembly looks to be the same I wouldn't think the clock would be off on that turbo...interesting.

I'm going to be getting the 2+ in a couple of weeks and DIY it in my garage. Seems pretty daunting, biggest thing i've done on my car so far is adjusting rear actuator rod and using the washer trick for the front because of rattle. Anxiety goes up every time i think about it.
Doing turbos really aren't that bad. The most difficult thing honestly - is getting the rear inlet on. Everything else is cake.

Make life easy - drop the subframe - it takes maybe 10 minutes.
Disagree. My subframe was on the ground and getting the rear turbo inlet on was cake. Two piece aluminum outlets were much more frustrating and relocating coolant reservoir with mmp brackets also sucked the bottom reservoir line literally so close to resting on the frame rail but I guess depends on what parts you go with
__________________
Base Model FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #596
brakthru
Private First Class
35
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Ok guys, Update.

I hate to report this but these turbos have wastegate rattle. Only a week old. I first started hearing a slight rattle on light part throttle. So, I decided to rev in neutral and it makes the noise when revs go up and come down. It would go away a few minutes after driving. The seller said the wastegates are tight but the rods shakes or rattles for some reason. He also mentioned he didnt preload the arms. Not exactly sure what that means.

He said few other guys had the problem and they used wastegate rattle fix in JB4 or MHD. He said my tuner could help but my tuner only suggested rattle fix too which just opens the wastegate.

My previous OE turbos had no rattle but my original turbos did. The JB4 software adjustment for rattle helped but the turbo lag wasnt worth it. I ended up reverting back to stock default wastegate position and let it rattle until I replaced them. MHD is the same thing. So many have reported the lag makes you don't like your car. Well, I know first hand.

I'm noticing a pattern. When the car first starts and the first few min of driving but it's not 100% of the time. Yesterday, it was loud during the first few minutes like normal rattle from old turbos. Then, it went away and was nice and quiet most of the day like new turbos and upgraded parts should sound. A slight sound would come up every once in awhile.

I'm waiting to hear back from him on the next step because I'm not masking the problem with software on brand new parts. Oh, the box was dropped during shipment. Part of the turbo housing went through the box and got scraped. There were holes around the other sides of box where turbo shifted around. The padding didnt reach far enough to protect the sides of turbo. That particular turbo had slight more movement of the wastegate rod parts than the other. The moving parts around the arm were slightly noisier. He said no worries. The drop shouldn't have hurt anything.

Anyone else have rattle on these? If so, what did you do to correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #597
4 Doors
Captain
4 Doors's Avatar
180
Rep
679
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Ok guys, Update.

I hate to report this but these turbos have wastegate rattle. Only a week old. I first started hearing a slight rattle on light part throttle. So, I decided to rev in neutral and it makes the noise when revs go up and come down. It would go away a few minutes after driving. The seller said the wastegates are tight but the rods shakes or rattles for some reason. He also mentioned he didnt preload the arms. Not exactly sure what that means.

He said few other guys had the problem and they used wastegate rattle fix in JB4 or MHD. He said my tuner could help but my tuner only suggested rattle fix too which just opens the wastegate.

My previous OE turbos had no rattle but my original turbos did. The JB4 software adjustment for rattle helped but the turbo lag wasnt worth it. I ended up reverting back to stock default wastegate position and let it rattle until I replaced them. MHD is the same thing. So many have reported the lag makes you don't like your car. Well, I know first hand.

I'm noticing a pattern. When the car first starts and the first few min of driving but it's not 100% of the time. Yesterday, it was loud during the first few minutes like normal rattle from old turbos. Then, it went away and was nice and quiet most of the day like new turbos and upgraded parts should sound. A slight sound would come up every once in awhile.

I'm waiting to hear back from him on the next step because I'm not masking the problem with software on brand new parts. Oh, the box was dropped during shipment. Part of the turbo housing went through the box and got scraped. There were holes around the other sides of box where turbo shifted around. The padding didnt reach far enough to protect the sides of turbo. That particular turbo had slight more movement of the wastegate rod parts than the other. The moving parts around the arm were slightly noisier. He said no worries. The drop shouldn't have hurt anything.

Anyone else have rattle on these? If so, what did you do to correct?
Just to make sure that other "rattle" noises have been inspected: Do you have the OEM Exhaust with the vacuum/exhaust flap? This can create a very similar "rattle" noise upon deceleration. Just a thought before diving deeper.
__________________
Instagram: @4doors

Current: 2008 E90 335xi Sport
Past: 1996 E36 328i Sport (bought in 2007)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #598
pagedownhere
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (2)

brakthru I sent him a video of mine when I first got them because I was worried about any wastegate rattle as well (since that's one of the main reasons I upgraded, I had Horrible rattle). I showed him the play and he said they were fine, they need that play to seal and once they close there is no rattle. I feel like i still have a very slight rattle on light accel like you mention. It sounds like a small exhaust leak, but i know it's not. but as soon as boost starts there is no rattle and there is none when i let off the throttle either. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #599
brakthru
Private First Class
35
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
Just to make sure that other "rattle" noises have been inspected: Do you have the OEM Exhaust with the vacuum/exhaust flap? This can create a very similar "rattle" noise upon deceleration. Just a thought before diving deeper.
Yeah. I checked. The sound is coming from turbos. I know the exhaust flap sound when it opens or closes. My sound is right at the turbos. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #600
brakthru
Private First Class
35
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedownhere View Post
brakthru I sent him a video of mine when I first got them because I was worried about any wastegate rattle as well (since that's one of the main reasons I upgraded, I had Horrible rattle). I showed him the play and he said they were fine, they need that play to seal and once they close there is no rattle. I feel like i still have a very slight rattle on light accel like you mention. It sounds like a small exhaust leak, but i know it's not. but as soon as boost starts there is no rattle and there is none when i let off the throttle either. Keep us posted!
I sent him emails and photos when they arrived too. He knows they rattle happens based on some other guys he sold turbos to. I don't remember hearing noise on deceleration either. Once car has been driven awhile, they get quiet. Thanks for the feed back. Ill you updated on progress.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #601
brakthru
Private First Class
35
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedownhere View Post
brakthru I sent him a video of mine when I first got them because I was worried about any wastegate rattle as well (since that's one of the main reasons I upgraded, I had Horrible rattle). I showed him the play and he said they were fine, they need that play to seal and once they close there is no rattle. I feel like i still have a very slight rattle on light accel like you mention. It sounds like a small exhaust leak, but i know it's not. but as soon as boost starts there is no rattle and there is none when i let off the throttle either. Keep us posted!
How long have you had turbos?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #602
pagedownhere
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (2)

2 weeks (500 miles)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #603
brakthru
Private First Class
35
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedownhere View Post
2 weeks (500 miles)
These turbos are nice other than the rattle. Hopefully, they don't get worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #604
SlimE92
Captain
SlimE92's Avatar
108
Rep
828
Posts

Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Queens NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Ok guys, Update.

I hate to report this but these turbos have wastegate rattle. Only a week old. I first started hearing a slight rattle on light part throttle. So, I decided to rev in neutral and it makes the noise when revs go up and come down. It would go away a few minutes after driving. The seller said the wastegates are tight but the rods shakes or rattles for some reason. He also mentioned he didnt preload the arms. Not exactly sure what that means.

He said few other guys had the problem and they used wastegate rattle fix in JB4 or MHD. He said my tuner could help but my tuner only suggested rattle fix too which just opens the wastegate.

My previous OE turbos had no rattle but my original turbos did. The JB4 software adjustment for rattle helped but the turbo lag wasnt worth it. I ended up reverting back to stock default wastegate position and let it rattle until I replaced them. MHD is the same thing. So many have reported the lag makes you don't like your car. Well, I know first hand.

I'm noticing a pattern. When the car first starts and the first few min of driving but it's not 100% of the time. Yesterday, it was loud during the first few minutes like normal rattle from old turbos. Then, it went away and was nice and quiet most of the day like new turbos and upgraded parts should sound. A slight sound would come up every once in awhile.

I'm waiting to hear back from him on the next step because I'm not masking the problem with software on brand new parts. Oh, the box was dropped during shipment. Part of the turbo housing went through the box and got scraped. There were holes around the other sides of box where turbo shifted around. The padding didnt reach far enough to protect the sides of turbo. That particular turbo had slight more movement of the wastegate rod parts than the other. The moving parts around the arm were slightly noisier. He said no worries. The drop shouldn't have hurt anything.

Anyone else have rattle on these? If so, what did you do to correct?
Appreciate 1
FCobra942399.00

      09-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #605
dsource
Enlisted Member
United_States
22
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi + miata + tdi
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

Im going to guess as to why they rattle, two reasons come to mind, either the arm to flap was not clocked in the correct orientation when they were welded. Or the WG actuator rod needs adjustment. Typically OEM turbos have WG rattle due to the bushing in the arm rotates in wears out, since theses are new turbos I can't imagine that's the failure mode. Document the issue by posting it on youtube, it will help someone eventually.
Appreciate 2
FCobra942399.00
SlimE92107.50

      09-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #606
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
81
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
I sent him emails and photos when they arrived too. He knows they rattle happens based on some other guys he sold turbos to. I don't remember hearing noise on deceleration either. Once car has been driven awhile, they get quiet. Thanks for the feed back. Ill you updated on progress.
It's sad to say but I am experiencing the same exact problem as you both far as wastegate rattle. I think this is ONE of the reasons why he he came out with an "revised version" of the DAW Stage 2 turbos, due to customers having issues with wastegate rattle and possible oil blow by and well I have puffs of smoke coming out my exhaust when I get on the throttle and let off there are poofs of smoking coming out the tail pipe, I suspect oil blow by from the turbo seals. I can't tell you 100% sure but that's what I suspect as I smell oil while siting at a stoplight. I thought it might be a poor pcv system but I don't think that is the case here. DAW also told me to use the wastegate rattle fix in MHD, no thanks, that will not solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #607
NoGuru
Captain
NoGuru's Avatar
300
Rep
775
Posts

Drives: 335is
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
This should have been posted once it started happening.
Anything else anyone wants to bring to the table?
__________________
2011 335is BQ Tune / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7.5" VRSF Race IC / Stage 2 bucketless / Motive Flex Fuel / Vwetish Diff Brace / 15mm spacers in rear /PR coils / Tires PSS 4S's / Relocation Inlets / DAW stage 3+ Turbos
Appreciate 3
RJC61279.50
SlimE92107.50
4 Doors179.50

      09-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #608
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
81
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedownhere View Post
2 weeks (500 miles)
You only drove 500 miles and you already have wastegate rattle? How much boost have you been running?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #609
RJC612
Private First Class
80
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsource View Post
Im going to guess as to why they rattle, two reasons come to mind, either the arm to flap was not clocked in the correct orientation when they were welded. Or the WG actuator rod needs adjustment. Typically OEM turbos have WG rattle due to the bushing in the arm rotates in wears out, since theses are new turbos I can't imagine that's the failure mode. Document the issue by posting it on youtube, it will help someone eventually.
Agree here, the typical dreaded wg rattle is from the wg sleeve having slop through the turbine housing. The important distinction there is this failure mode does not ONLY result in terrible noises, but also serious implications in decreased performance. What is happening is the wg valve isn't really closed when vacuum is applied to the actuator so boost is bleeding out thru exhaust which makes the car slow as hell and not boost right. That is the failure mode I found in my mhi stock turbos when I removed them from the car. Put vacuum to wg and it is still wide open, that's the rattle. I tested wg on my daw stage 3 set before installing them and just as everyone has reported, they had slight wiggle room but when I put vacuum they close smooth and are tight as hell and don't budge whatsoever. And neither does the rod.
What is happening with your turbos simply can't be a bad flapper valve sleeve. The sleeve is not worn and at the age of those parts and from what I'm hearing, the wastegates are functioning as they should but something is making noise. That would not be the case with "classic* wg rattle failure. This makes me think whatever is rattling should be able to be remedied, whether it is the rod or some other part. You don't have a bad valve sleeve at 500 miles. For the record, fuck the software rattle fix it's shit do not use. Will report what my stage 3s do in regards to rattle but my car is still not running after two weeks. Shameee
__________________
Base Model FTW
Appreciate 1
FCobra942399.00

      09-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #610
RJC612
Private First Class
80
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
I sent him emails and photos when they arrived too. He knows they rattle happens based on some other guys he sold turbos to. I don't remember hearing noise on deceleration either. Once car has been driven awhile, they get quiet. Thanks for the feed back. Ill you updated on progress.
It's sad to say but I am experiencing the same exact problem as you both far as wastegate rattle. I think this is ONE of the reasons why he he came out with an "revised version" of the DAW Stage 2 turbos, due to customers having issues with wastegate rattle and possible oil blow by and well I have puffs of smoke coming out my exhaust when I get on the throttle and let off there are poofs of smoking coming out the tail pipe, I suspect oil blow by from the turbo seals. I can't tell you 100% sure but that's what I suspect as I smell oil while siting at a stoplight. I thought it might be a poor pcv system but I don't think that is the case here. DAW also told me to use the wastegate rattle fix in MHD, no thanks, that will not solve the problem.
What is your pcv setup?
__________________
Base Model FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #611
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
81
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC612 View Post
What is your pcv setup?
I have a OCC on the low side, RB pcv valve and nothing on the high side far as a OCC but people have told me the RB External PCV system should maybe solve my smoking out the exhaust and slight oil consumption. Also I found https://www.burgertuning.com/product...fa8d6549&_ss=r as well but not sure if that will help or not. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #612
FCobra94
Brigadier General
FCobra94's Avatar
2399
Rep
4,560
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Any of you bozos installing these adjusting the wastegate actuator rod beforehand, or just slapping them in there NFG?
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
MHD E60|Alpina Flash|Stg 2 LPFP|VRSF 7"FMIC-DP-CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI
Bilstein B6|Dinan Camber Plates|E93 M3 FSB-LCA-Guide Rods|Manzo Toe Arms|HPS 5.0
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 6
SlimE92107.50
RJC61279.50
JuniorB163.50
Torgus1901.50

      09-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #613
RJC612
Private First Class
80
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Hard to believe seals are leaking already so makes me think it is pcv related and your setup is pretty close to stock. I run external pcv with dual OCC's and head ports blocked off and no breathers. Diagram below. All I can say is I have never seen smoke out my tail pipe with this setup. If I were you I would go external and block your head ports at a minimum. Would be even better to get high side occ as well.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Base Model FTW
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #614
RJC612
Private First Class
80
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Any of you bozos installing these adjusting the wastegate actuator rod beforehand, or just slapping them in there NFG?
Made me lol haha. Can't imagine at least not checking them!!! It was very clear to me that whoever did the wgs on my turbos took their time marked everything clearly and the result was good. I tested wg and it worked as designed, no rattle or rod play when closed and no extra slack when open. In theory, turbos should come ready to rock would be ridiculous to send them off to a customer with rod slack!
__________________
Base Model FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #615
eyelobes
Private First Class
eyelobes's Avatar
16
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: Sparkling Graphite e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Augusta, GA

iTrader: (0)

I don't know much, but I know with wg rattle in my OEMs before I did the washers on the front and arm adjustment in the rear the rattle would not go away, regardless of rattle fix. The slight play is due to how hot the turbo run and accounting for the metal expansion when up to temp. Your rattle going away once you have driven for a while sounds like it's doing what it should. But it is still embarrassing to hear your WGs echoing off of the car next to you.
Appreciate 1
FCobra942399.00

      09-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #616
RJC612
Private First Class
80
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

When everything is working properly, you should not hear any rattle except for maybe the first 5 seconds or less after you start your car up while vacuum pump is working to load up actuator and close wg, the wgs are open when car is off but default to closed at idle after startup. Really hoping I don't have this issue haha
__________________
Base Model FTW
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST