E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No crank, no start (sat 2 years) - '08 328xi E92 N51 Auto

06-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #45
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayk90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
how does a rim bent? those are stock ones and 17 inches no? I have 18 inches stock i hope they dont bend
Really hard impacts like pot holes will do it. Previous owner hit something that ripped out the wheel liner, damaged the side skirt, popped the tire and I think bent the rim. I believe he said the suspension also sounded loose, so I think it blew his shocks. I can only imagine what it was, but I also know the ContiProContact SSR‘s don’t help the ride.
Okay im scared of bending rim what symptoms are there if u do like this car?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #46
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Haven't updated in a while. Each repair has been turning into a mini-project on its own and with life getting in the way, everything is taking longer than desired.

Here is where everything is so far:

1. New Rein cooling hose w/flange was received and installed. That required the coolant expansion tank and the secondary air pump to be removed for access.

Name:  cooling pipe new.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  296.9 KB

Name:  cooling pipe installed.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  417.3 KB

Name:  cooling overflow removed.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  445.6 KB

2. Coolant was full of air bubbles after the new pipe went in, couldn't get rid of after rechecking my connections and running the bleeding cycle multiple times.

Name:  cooling foam.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  436.0 KB

3. Let it sit for a few days and got a pressure tester. Everything tested okay Ran the bleeding again and no air bubbles anymore.

Name:  cooling pressure.png
Views: 259
Size:  3.44 MB

4. Reinstalled the cooling fan and drained and filled the system one more time as the coolant was looking green. Somebody must have been using the wrong stuff.

Name:  cooling fan.png
Views: 250
Size:  3.49 MB

Name:  cooling coolant.png
Views: 270
Size:  3.47 MB

5. The battery cables were removed and new ones installed. This was a huuuuge PITA as I could not remove the gas tank in my driveway without removing the exhaust and drive shaft. Instead of doing all that, I lowered the passenger side of the gas tank, cut all the zip ties on the battery cables and snaked them out of their plastic moulds. Then I snaked the new ones in and installed new zip ties. Job had to be done twice, cuz I started at the wrong end and realized my mistake towards the end. This is also not including me wasting a lot of time under the hood not knowing how to unbolt the cables without removing the e-box.

Amateur Tip: If you have to do this job, do it right and remove the gas tank/exhaust/drive shaft.

Name:  cables remove.png
Views: 248
Size:  4.06 MB

Name:  cables gas tank.png
Views: 246
Size:  3.58 MB

Name:  cables install.png
Views: 243
Size:  3.48 MB

6. Bumper was reinstalled

Name:  bumper install.png
Views: 240
Size:  3.80 MB

7. New wheels were purchased with half decent tires and supposedly working TPMS sensors from a 328i of the same vintage.

Name:  new wheels.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  619.1 KB

8. Power steering fluid was replaced

Name:  power steering fluid.png
Views: 242
Size:  3.43 MB

Name:  power steering new.png
Views: 238
Size:  3.43 MB

9. Rotors were cleaned off with green Scotch-Brite and then rehoned with a drill attachment. They came out really nice. Hopefully they work as good as they look.

Name:  rotors hone.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  537.7 KB

10. Passenger side skirt was cracked from the same incident that damaged the rear splash shield/wheel/tire/cables/etc. It was removed, repaired with epoxy and reinstalled.

Name:  skirt remove.png
Views: 234
Size:  3.45 MB

Name:  skirt crack.png
Views: 230
Size:  2.96 MB

Name:  skirt inside crack.png
Views: 225
Size:  3.09 MB

Name:  skirt epoxy.png
Views: 228
Size:  3.19 MB

Name:  skirt repaired.png
Views: 225
Size:  3.48 MB

Name:  skirt install.png
Views: 228
Size:  3.35 MB

11. Front passenger strut was leaking. Both were removed and replaced with new Sachs units along with top mounts to match the rear.

Name:  struts old.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  1,000.0 KB

Name:  struts new.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  441.0 KB

12. Air filter was removed. I was blown away to see the date code! It appears to be original as the car was assembled in late 2007.

Name:  air filter.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  458.4 KB

Name:  air filter date.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  324.2 KB

That's about it. Currently working on reinstalling all the splash shields and engine covers.

All brake calipers will be getting a new coat of paint.

Transmission, transfer case, and rear differential will be getting new fluids.

The wheels will go back on and the shake down can begin.

Then I can start troubleshooting the A/C and getting ready for the Oil Pan Gasket
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:57 AM   #47
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Another update. Getting closer and closer to the finish line.

1. Front splash shields reinstalled

Name:  liner none.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  370.2 KB

Name:  liner in place.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  327.2 KB

2. Brakes

They were pretty messed up from sitting outside and being driven in the rust belt, so I attempted to refinish them with a brush on style caliper paint. While the results are good enough for me, if you're in a similar situation, I would highly recommend that you either purchase new calipers from Ate or send yours out for a professional rebuild/powder coating. The amount of time and effort I spent doing this is just not worth it.

Another option would be to completely strip down all the calipers and remove them from the car for a sandblasting or a chemical bath. Trying to use a wire wheel and wire brushes while still connected to the brake line and having the pistons inside the calipers, made this job very tiresome.

If you can't have your car out of service for too long, maybe even purchasing a set of used calipers from eBay and having them rebuilt/refinished would be a smart move as well.

Here is how they looked:

Front Left

Name:  caliper old fl.jpg
Size:  285.7 KB

Front Right

Name:  caliper old fr.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  334.2 KB

Rear Left

Name:  caliper old rl.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  404.9 KB

Rear Right

Name:  caliper old rr.jpg
Size:  400.1 KB

Prepped for paint

Front Left

Name:  caliper prep fl.jpg
Size:  294.1 KB

Front Right

Name:  caliper prep fr.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  283.9 KB

Rear Left

Name:  caliper prep rl.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  274.8 KB

Rear Right

Name:  caliper prep rr.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  266.9 KB

After paint:

Front Left

Name:  caliper new fl.jpg
Size:  369.8 KB

Rear Left

Name:  caliper new rl.jpg
Size:  512.2 KB

Finally, the front brake hoses were cracked.

Name:  hose crack 1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  279.5 KB

Name:  hose crack 2.jpg
Size:  334.9 KB

So those were replaced for peace of mind and safety.

Name:  hose replacement.jpg
Size:  237.3 KB

Name:  hose new.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  386.2 KB

3. Brake Fluid replaced

Name:  brake fluid drain.jpg
Size:  280.7 KB

Name:  brake fluid bleed.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  296.9 KB

Name:  brake fluid vs.jpg
Size:  330.9 KB

4. Transfer Case

Fluid looked to be original

Name:  transfer case drain.jpg
Size:  266.3 KB

Name:  transfer case fluids.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  391.6 KB

5. Transmission

Name:  transmission drain.jpg
Size:  251.9 KB

The filter seal was very difficult to remove, so I made a tool thanks to a thread in the DIY Guides on this forum.

Name:  transmission filter ring.jpg
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  transmission filter ring tool.jpg
Size:  277.9 KB

Cleaned the pan, new filter, new pan bolts, and drain/fill plugs.

Name:  transmission pan.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  311.8 KB

Name:  transmission fill.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  310.3 KB

Fluid looked to be original

Name:  transmission fluids.jpg
Size:  376.0 KB

6. Steering Wheel

Purchased a replacement wheel from Latvia! Came in really good condition and it has the inner trim that's still in tact. Have yet to install this.

Name:  steering old.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  517.8 KB

Name:  steering new.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  466.9 KB

7. Steering Shaft

Steering shaft was squealing a lot.

Name:  steering shaft.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  378.0 KB

After a closer inspection, noticed the joint had some rust on the ball joint. This probably happened after I degreased everything in the engine bay and let the car sit for months.

Name:  steering joint.jpg
Size:  282.6 KB

A little bit of White Lithium Grease and it's back to normal

Name:  steering greased.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  334.2 KB

8. Engine Bay

With the steering shaft resolved, I could finally reassembled the intake box and finally finish the engine bay.

Name:  engine bay complete.jpg
Size:  553.8 KB

9. Wheels

Last but not least, with all the brakes redone the replacement wheels/tires could be reinstalled.

Name:  wheels.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  727.0 KB

Left To Do:
  1. Test Drive/Shake Down
  2. Oil Pan Gasket
  3. Front and Rear Differential Fluids
  4. TPMS Light
  5. A/C Recharge
  6. Radio buzzing noise
  7. Steering Wheel swap
  8. Interior door handles
  9. Complete detail
  10. BMW recalls (x2)
  11. Polish foglight and turn signals
  12. Replace the rear license plate bracket
  13. Alignment
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:28 AM   #48
213e90n51
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon2015 View Post
... I have trust in my electrical knowledge. [COLOR="Red"][Does that knowledge include Ohm's Law (E=RI, or I=E/R)? Amps or Current flow = Volts/Resistance. If E (Voltage) is constant 12V, and R (Resistance is "Infinite" (open circuit) then Amps or Current Flow = 12 divided by "Infinity" = 0 (Zero current flow -- open circuit).][/COLOR]

I am sorry that I have shared my experience here, I will try to stop it. [COLOR="red"][Please don't "stop it". Personally, I have found your posts prior to this one to be very knowledgeable & helpful. I think you may NOT be looking at this correctly, and that is why I replied to your post. I'm was hoping that you were "science-based" and willing to re-examine a concept that seemed incorrect to me. This is NOT a "macho"/"Ego" contest, but a discussion of scientific concepts.][/COLOR]

In this case I will enlighten you. The world is not a perfect place. Physics are described and learned in perfect conditions. In the [COLOR="red"]real world[/COLOR], a large diameter cable, such as a ground cable filled with corrosion will allow a variable amount of energy to pass though it. So don't look at it as working or not working. This variable amount of energy that is allowed to pass it's issue that causes the problems I have described above. A little educational video here, it applies to DC as well: https :// www .youtube. com/watch?reload=9&v=LMU9-GOjVRw [COLOR="red"][Pasting that URL returns NOT FOUND. If you are suggesting a "Voltage Spike" could occur with regard to the CAS Signal to the Starter Solenoid due to "intermittent fluctuation" in Resistance of the Ground Strap, I'm NOT aware of any such phenomenon ever reported. Unless there is a current storage (capacitor) in the circuit, the CAS can ONLY provide the current the designed resistance of the circuit allows 12V to provide, UNLESS there is a "Short-Circuit" in the system. A BAD Ground Strap ADDS resistance to the circuit (the OPPOSITE of a short circuit), meaning LESS current flows, NOT more.][/COLOR]...
The "Real World" is what Physics is based upon, and what it is used in. Physics and Mathematics got men to the moon & back by applied science that calculated trajectories, thrusts, momentum, etc. THAT was "Rocket Science" and automotive engineering, particularly as it relates to simple electrical circuits such as the Starter is NOT "Rocket Science", or anything unknown or mysterious.

IF I were to see something in the "Real World" that appears to NOT follow the basic "Laws of Physics", I would FIRST question MY CONCEPT of physics, rather than the "Physics Law" or formula itself, and then I would question my "application" of that law to the issue at hand.

Just a thought, NOT a sermon. Please keep contributing as you have. I'm sure I'm NOT the only person who appreciates, and has benefited from, your posts.

Thanks,
George
idknow if we really went to the moon. if we did then it should be chill to go back and we shouldnt be testing rockets again. Because that rocket that went to the moon went there no issue. and they brought them back safely. Why arnt we going to the moon then.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
idknow if we really went to the moon. if we did then it should be chill to go back and we shouldnt be testing rockets again. Because that rocket that went to the moon went there no issue. and they brought them back safely. Why arnt we going to the moon then.
Well since you brought it up...

Going back to the moon literally after 50 years is difficult. The space infrastructure that manufactured the vehicles and technology doesn't exist anymore. There are no Saturn 5 rockets in storage somewhere ready to launch. There are no lunar orbiters and landers stored ready to use.

So simply respinning an old design makes no sense because all the tooling would need to be rebuilt, which means re-engineered since most of the machines used to build the tooling to build the old-style rockets is long gone. So in essence, we (as a nation of Government contractors) would have to spend engineering resources to go back in time 50 years.

The new moon mission is the gateway to eventually landing humans on Mars. So what makes sense is to design new, state of the art vehicles to first get to the moon, then to Mars. So a new generation of space vehicles for an advanced mission to Mars requires new technologies, new tooling and new assembly processes to build those vehicles. That all requires engineering resources. If we (as a nation) are going to spend engineering resources (i.e. a shot load of money) to build new mission equipment, it makes no sense to go backwards 50 years, and makes perfect sense to look forward 25 years.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      08-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #50
213e90n51
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Well since you brought it up...

Going back to the moon literally after 50 years is difficult. The space infrastructure that manufactured the vehicles and technology doesn't exist anymore. There are no Saturn 5 rockets in storage somewhere ready to launch. There are no lunar orbiters and landers stored ready to use.

So simply respinning an old design makes no sense because all the tooling would need to be rebuilt, which means re-engineered since most of the machines used to build the tooling to build the old-style rockets is long gone. So in essence, we (as a nation of Government contractors) would have to spend engineering resources to go back in time 50 years.

The new moon mission is the gateway to eventually landing humans on Mars. So what makes sense is to design new, state of the art vehicles to first get to the moon, then to Mars. So a new generation of space vehicles for an advanced mission to Mars requires new technologies, new tooling and new assembly processes to build those vehicles. That all requires engineering resources. If we (as a nation) are going to spend engineering resources (i.e. a shot load of money) to build new mission equipment, it makes no sense to go backwards 50 years, and makes perfect sense to look forward 25 years.
what? So ur saying that technology is a thing of the past and was the "Good ole days" shouldnt this mean its easier to recreate thise rockets? or simpler?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #51
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

What the hell are you talking about?! Do you mind doing that in a different thread please?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what? So ur saying that technology is a thing of the past and was the "Good ole days" shouldnt this mean its easier to recreate thise rockets? or simpler?
No, I'm not saying that.

Don't be one of those people who think the USA didn't land on the moon. It's not a good look.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-19-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      08-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #53
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?! Do you mind doing that in a different thread please?
Apologies for the derail. We got on the topic of physics, one of my fav subjects.

Glad you have been making progress on the Bimmer. The work so far looks great. I read everything... why did you need to run a new battery lead harness?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #54
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Well since you brought it up... simply respinning an old design makes no sense because all the tooling would need to be rebuilt, which means re-engineered since most of the machines used to build the tooling to build the old-style rockets is long gone. So in essence, we (as a nation of Government contractors) would have to spend engineering resources to go back in time 50 years. The new moon mission is the gateway to eventually landing humans on Mars. So what makes sense is to design new, state of the art vehicles to first get to the moon, then to Mars... new technologies, new tooling and new assembly processes to build those vehicles. That all requires engineering resources... it makes no sense to go backwards 50 years, and makes perfect sense to look forward 25 years.
Seems to suggest the reason you drive from the Blue Ridge to Tyson's area every workday -- B'way Bandit I presume? I'd be interested in hearing MORE of your obvious understanding of the changes in how US does things over last 60 years, NASA to SpaceX. Physics hasn't changed (although hopefully understanding of it has increased), Electronics knowledge & capability has expanded exponentially. Please send me a PM so as NOT to bother Hayk.
George

Quote:
Eggs are "simpler". "Technology" has improved. The details/facts known have INCREASED. The ability to more quickly and easily process a large number of details/facts has increased. What has NOT improved (generally) is HUMAN ability to work together to understand & solve a problem. Exhibits: (A) Trump Administration; (B) COVID 19 Pandemic.

Quote:
Sorry we intruded on your exhibition.

Quote:
Apologies for the derail. We got on the topic of physics, one of my fav subjects. Glad you have been making progress on the Bimmer. The work so far looks great. I read everything... why did you need to run a new battery lead harness?
"F30": Curious to know more about what you do, where you do it, and for whom? Please PM when you find time.
George
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #55
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apologies for the derail. We got on the topic of physics, one of my fav subjects.

Glad you have been making progress on the Bimmer. The work so far looks great. I read everything... why did you need to run a new battery lead harness?
You can see the damage to the battery lead harness in my post from 6/14/20. There was a lot of corrosion to one of the cables. My guess is whatever the previous owner hit in the road that damaged the passenger side had also damaged that wire.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #56
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Seems to suggest the reason you drive from the Blue Ridge to Tyson's area every workday -- B'way Bandit I presume? I'd be interested in hearing MORE of your obvious understanding of the changes in how US does things over last 60 years, NASA to SpaceX. Physics hasn't changed (although hopefully understanding of it has increased), Electronics knowledge & capability has expanded exponentially. Please send me a PM so as NOT to bother Hayk.
George

Eggs are "simpler". "Technology" has improved. The details/facts known have INCREASED. The ability to more quickly and easily process a large number of details/facts has increased. What has NOT improved (generally) is HUMAN ability to work together to understand & solve a problem. Exhibits: (A) Trump Administration; (B) COVID 19 Pandemic.

Sorry we intruded on your exhibition.

"F30": Curious to know more about what you do, where you do it, and for whom? Please PM when you find time.
George
And inserting inappropriate and farcically inaccurate political commentary into a car enthusiast thread makes us all want to sing kumbaya.....
      09-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #57
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

1. Shake Down

1st drive after initial repairs went well.

Initially got a lot of warnings lights for the DSC system and brakes upon reconnecting the battery after a week, but they quickly went away after the car started moving.

TPMS light also went away after clearing the codes and driving with the new wheels.

Now I only have a Washer Fluid Low and a Driver Side Brake Light Bulb warning (more on those later).

Headlights were pointing too high, so I got those adjusted down.

Brakes are still vibrating, so ordering replacement rotors/pads for the front.

Name:  warning lights.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  196.1 KB

Name:  no lights.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  199.5 KB

2. Exterior/Interior cleaning

Exterior wash, engine bay, exhaust tips, carpets, floor mats, leather, seat belts, and a new steering wheel swap.

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  709.2 KB

Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  738.2 KB

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  512.3 KB

Name:  exhaust before.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  432.8 KB

Name:  exhaust after.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  480.0 KB

Name:  Driver before.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  509.9 KB

Name:  driver after.jpg
Size:  552.1 KB

Name:  Passenger before.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  483.9 KB

Name:  passenger after.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  577.9 KB

Name:  floor mats before.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  481.1 KB

Name:  floormat after.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  564.1 KB

Name:  floormat2 after.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  548.9 KB

Name:  pass eat 5050.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  383.3 KB

Name:  armrest before.jpg
Size:  470.0 KB

Name:  armrest after.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  387.1 KB

Name:  backseats.jpg
Size:  279.2 KB

Name:  seatbelt.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  626.8 KB

Name:  steering wheel.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  433.3 KB

Name:  driver cushion before.jpg
Size:  501.3 KB

Name:  driver.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  363.5 KB

Name:  trunk.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  441.0 KB

3. Currently in progress:

Replacing the oil pan gasket, replacing front/rear diff fluid, steering rack (rust), front driveshaft (broken u-joint), and repainting/touching up the sway bar and front subframe (if time allows).

Name:  subframe.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  598.7 KB

Name:  oilpan.jpg
Size:  379.5 KB

Broken U-Joint (orange dust and very loose)

Name:  driveshaft bad.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  326.3 KB

Good salvage replacement

Name:  driveshaft good.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  244.3 KB

Steering Rack lines are falling apart from rust, decided to replace it since the subframe is down.

Name:  rack rust.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  410.6 KB

Name:  rack rust2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  424.0 KB

Salvage replacement also comes with one extra hose which is also rusting away.

Name:  rack replacement.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  926.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:11 PM   #58
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quick little update. Pictures will come later.

Oil pan gasket is done
Steering rack is done
Messed up the power steering pump after reassembly - ran it dry by accident.
Replacement steering pump w/ reservoir and suction/return lines is done.
Replacement power steering rack return line is done.
Valvetronic Motor gasket is done
Valvetronic sensor gasket is done
Painted the Valvetronic Motor black (was covered in rust).
Painted the strut braces
Painted some misc bolts in the engine bay
Washer fluid level sensor/tank is done
Fog light polishing is done
Fender turn signal lamp polishing is done
Rear brake light bulb replacement is done
Floor mat anchor screws are done
Alignment is done
Wheel bend repair is done
Wheel balancing is done but needs more work.
A/C is done
State inspection is done
Ghost side view mirror adjustment fix is done

To do:
Troubleshoot the vehicle vibration/wheel balance.
Polish aluminum window trim
Polish tail lights
Wash & wax the car
Troubleshoot headlight auto-leveling issues
Find the source of the trunk interior squeak/rattle
Get ISTA to remove Oil Wear shadow code for the transmission
Get ISTA to record the battery replacement
Replace the E-Box Fan (2F71)
Complete BMW recalls x2
Appreciate 0