E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help reflashing ECU to stock with WinKFP

10-21-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

Help reflashing ECU to stock with WinKFP

Hey all,

2007 n54. KLINE. Attempted to flash a BB BEF today. After a 6 hour ECU READ, I tried writing one of the available bins. It went straight to failure, couldn't authenticate with the control module. From my research, this is very common to KLINE.

Name:  ooooo.PNG
Views: 12489
Size:  215.8 KB

Name:  preparefail.PNG
Views: 12174
Size:  216.0 KB

Anyways, it's stuck in ECU recovery mode. I can't force write the modified bins or the stock ecu .org file. Name:  recovery.PNG
Views: 12062
Size:  215.8 KB

I've done several power cycles but cant write to ecu. Force writing doesn't work either.

I downloaded winkfp and have it set up accordingly to this guide, with the E89 rar file:

How to start WinKFP.pdf

Can someone guide me through the procedure for reflashing ECU to stock? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
      10-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

Update: Problem fixed. I flashed ecu back to stock with winkfp

If anyone has any similar issues, feel free to pm, I'll help with what I've learned.

Might do a diy guide tailored to noobies with little programming experience as myself.

Pro tip: Don't use BB flashing software, go mhd
      10-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by balxoscar View Post
Update: Problem fixed. I flashed ecu back to stock with winkfp

If anyone has any similar issues, feel free to pm, I'll help with what I've learned.

Might do a diy guide tailored to noobies with little programming experience as myself.

Pro tip: Don't use BB flashing software, go mhd
BB flash is garbage, always has been. The winKFP setup you used is ancient but it did work. There's a much easier way with the BMW Coding Tool to update winKFP and a much better download for Standard Tools available at bimmergeeks.net or a forum thread by wildcatcrazy.

This video is the exact same process except you choose your DME ECU and you don't need the checksum when you input your VIN.

08-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
scocchius
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2014 x5

Hi there,

I have a 2007 328i (e90) and we tried replacing the adaptive headlight module with a used one... I tried to flash it with winkfp, but did so without the battery being hooked up to a charger, and the flash died. The car is now in a weird state - complaining about ABS, windows won't work, dome lights stay on. We hooked it up to a charger and tried again, no luck.. then hooked it up to a running car, but still no luck. The flash fails at various %s of completion.

Any ideas on what to do here?

Thanks!
Stephanie
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocchius View Post
Hi there,

I have a 2007 328i (e90) and we tried replacing the adaptive headlight module with a used one... I tried to flash it with winkfp, but did so without the battery being hooked up to a charger, and the flash died. The car is now in a weird state - complaining about ABS, windows won't work, dome lights stay on. We hooked it up to a charger and tried again, no luck.. then hooked it up to a running car, but still no luck. The flash fails at various %s of completion.

Any ideas on what to do here?

Thanks!
Stephanie
There's no need to flash with winkfp when replacing adaptive headlight modules, just default code the side you replaced in NCS Expert. What module/ecu were you trying to flash in winkfp? Please list the exact steps you took. Also check and make sure that cable is set up properly. Com port 1 and latency set to 1. Report back with the notes above and we can help out but we need a lot more info.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
scocchius
Rep

Thanks for the reply
So I tried with NCS Expert (per https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735874) but got errors about the VIN. Other posts I found said that the module (which was used) had to be flashed to set the VIN.

Per another post, I used winkfp and did the following:
Comfort mode / Enter ZUSB / Update ZUSB / ENTER VIN / Programm.

I found the ZUSB by looking at the INPA output and the number (9128189) came up as FRMPL2 in the list.

I did set the cable to COM1 and latency to 1.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply
So I tried with NCS Expert (per https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735874) but got errors about the VIN. Other posts I found said that the module (which was used) had to be flashed to set the VIN.

Per another post, I used winkfp and did the following:
Comfort mode / Enter ZUSB / Update ZUSB / ENTER VIN / Programm.

I found the ZUSB by looking at the INPA output and the number (9128189) came up as FRMPL2 in the list.

I did set the cable to COM1 and latency to 1.

Thanks!
Do you have datens updated? So to clarify after trying to flash frm you got ABS and DSC errors on dash? Have you tried clearing them and they come back? Any other problems with the car that you noticed after flashing?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
scocchius
Rep

I think I updated the datens... Originally nothing was showing in WinKFP, so I downloaded some RAR files and extracted the files for the car, and then the list of components showed up.
I can get the exact files and all that if it's helpful, but it's on a different computer.

I've attached some screenshots from the computer that show when the flash failed, the dash afterwards, and the errors I'm getting.

The ABS error (the foot over a pedal) flashes when the car starts (which thankfully it still does), and then the one in the attached image shows when the car is running. The windows don't work, the dome lights won't turn off, and the headlights won't turn off when the car is running, but the radio and a/c work.

Your help is much appreciated!! Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Do you have ISTA installed? If not, go to bimmergeeks.net/downloads and install rheingold. After it's done installing run a full scan and post up the ecu tree, want to see if frm is stuck in programming abort or not responding at all. What's your cars build date? Don't quote me but I believe frmpl2 is frm1, is your build date is 03/07+ you should choose frm2 in ecu list.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
scocchius
Rep

I don't think I have ISTA, so thanks for that link.
I will check it out and post what I find, but I won't have a chance for a few days.

One question though in the meantime - should the car be hooked up to a charger or to another car when I'm running this stuff? If a charger is good enough, what setting should it be at? The one we have is 6v hi and lo, and 12v hi and lo..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
scocchius
Rep

Here is the output from ISTA...
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the output from ISTA...
Thanks!
Ok good thing is your frm is just stuck in programming abort and is still responding. You just need to flash it in winkfp correctly. Send the last 7 of your VIN, I assume you're choosing wrong frm ecu in winkfp. Are you running progzb update or choosing an actual zb?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
scocchius
Rep

well that's good news

last 7 of the vin: NE29360

I did Comfort mode / Enter ZUSB - I entered the number here (from the output in INPA), then
Update ZUSB and I chose the same one it found in the "Enter" dialog, but when I chose this, it lost the info from the "Enter ZUSB" so I went back and did that again...
then
ENTER VIN,
Program, and DONE
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #14
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well that's good news

last 7 of the vin: NE29360

I did Comfort mode / Enter ZUSB - I entered the number here (from the output in INPA), then
Update ZUSB and I chose the same one it found in the "Enter" dialog, but when I chose this, it lost the info from the "Enter ZUSB" so I went back and did that again...
then
ENTER VIN,
Program, and DONE
Ok so your car is pre 03/07 build date meaning you have frm1 so frmpl2 is the correct ecu to choose in winkfp. Post up your winkfp config file
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
scocchius
Rep

Here's the .ini file - if that's not the right one, let me know what the filename is...
Code:
; Initialisierungsdatei fuer Winkfpt
[Einstellungen]

; allgemeine Einstellungen
WindowPosition=0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1,0,0,738,582
U_PROG=ON
SCHNELLE_BAUDRATE=OFF
ANZEIGE_U_PROG=OFF
TEST_CHECKSUMME=ON

; Aif schreiben
AIF_SCHREIBEN_NACH_DATEN=ON
AIF_SCHREIBEN_NACH_PROGRAMM=ON
EXPERT_MIT_AIF=OFF
KOMFORT_MIT_AIF=ON

; Trace
API_TRACE=0
IFH_TRACE=0

; ACHTUNG bei Änderung von CabdFormat muß auch im File ..\CFGdat\coapi.ini
;         entsprechend CabdFormat geändert werden.
CabdFormat=IPO
;          IPS --> PABD Quelle
;          IPO --> Übersetzte PABD
;          COM --> Compilieren der PABD

SPRACHE=eng
LastWDPImportPath=C:\Users\Cello\Desktop\E89\sgdat

[HW-Interface]
K-Line / ADS=ADS
K-Line / EDIC=EDIC
K-Line / OBD=STD:OBD
CAN / EDIC=EDICC
CAN / Vector=STD:CAN
Most / Optolyzer=STD:MOSTO
Most / PC-Karte=STD:MOSTP
Funk / MDA=STD:FUNK
Ethernet / ENET=ENET
[Expert-Modus-Konfiguration]
KF_HW_INTERFACE=
KF_DIAG_PROT=
KF_PSGBD=
KF_PABD=
KF_SG_ADR=
KF_DATEN_DATEI=
KF_PROGRAMM_DATEI=
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #16
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's the .ini file - if that's not the right one, let me know what the filename is...
Code:
; Initialisierungsdatei fuer Winkfpt
[Einstellungen]

; allgemeine Einstellungen
WindowPosition=0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1,0,0,738,582
U_PROG=ON
SCHNELLE_BAUDRATE=OFF
ANZEIGE_U_PROG=OFF
TEST_CHECKSUMME=ON

; Aif schreiben
AIF_SCHREIBEN_NACH_DATEN=ON
AIF_SCHREIBEN_NACH_PROGRAMM=ON
EXPERT_MIT_AIF=OFF
KOMFORT_MIT_AIF=ON

; Trace
API_TRACE=0
IFH_TRACE=0

; ACHTUNG bei Änderung von CabdFormat muß auch im File ..\CFGdat\coapi.ini
;         entsprechend CabdFormat geändert werden.
CabdFormat=IPO
;          IPS --> PABD Quelle
;          IPO --> Übersetzte PABD
;          COM --> Compilieren der PABD

SPRACHE=eng
LastWDPImportPath=C:\Users\Cello\Desktop\E89\sgdat

[HW-Interface]
K-Line / ADS=ADS
K-Line / EDIC=EDIC
K-Line / OBD=STD:OBD
CAN / EDIC=EDICC
CAN / Vector=STD:CAN
Most / Optolyzer=STD:MOSTO
Most / PC-Karte=STD:MOSTP
Funk / MDA=STD:FUNK
Ethernet / ENET=ENET
[Expert-Modus-Konfiguration]
KF_HW_INTERFACE=
KF_DIAG_PROT=
KF_PSGBD=
KF_PABD=
KF_SG_ADR=
KF_DATEN_DATEI=
KF_PROGRAMM_DATEI=
Open winkfp, at the top choose configuration and take a screenshot and post it up here. Easier to understand than the text
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #17
scocchius
Rep

Here's the screenshot. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #18
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's the screenshot. Thanks!
Disable Test Checksum and enable show programming voltage and Fast baudrate.

Next try prog zb update, so what you're going to want to do is update datens before using winkfp using bmw coding tool. Next load up winkfp:

F1 comfort
F3 choose ecu frmpl2
F4 input vin
F8 done
F3 prog zb update

Then see if that goes through!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:51 PM   #19
scocchius
Rep

Thanks so much! I won't have a chance until Friday evening to give it a shot, but hopefully that will do the trick.

When you say "update datens", I did do that (or at least I think I did) initially. When I first tried to use WinKFP, there was no data in there, so I downloaded files and then I'm pretty sure I used BMW Coding Tool to import them. Should I try to do that again?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much! I won't have a chance until Friday evening to give it a shot, but hopefully that will do the trick.

When you say "update datens", I did do that (or at least I think I did) initially. When I first tried to use WinKFP, there was no data in there, so I downloaded files and then I'm pretty sure I used BMW Coding Tool to import them. Should I try to do that again?

Thanks!
I always update datens before using winkfp as it seems they reset after a day. Use bmw coding tool instead of manually importing them. Hopefully this will work, if not I'd try another kdcan cable if you have one or if the one you're using has a switch make sure the switch is pinned correctly for the year and model you're using
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
scocchius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
I always update datens before using winkfp as it seems they reset after a day. Use bmw coding tool instead of manually importing them. Hopefully this will work, if not I'd try another kdcan cable if you have one or if the one you're using has a switch make sure the switch is pinned correctly for the year and model you're using
Thanks! I don't have an extra cable and there's no switch on the one I have, so we'll see how it goes. I'm going to give it a shot later today, fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #22
scocchius
Rep

So i updated datens and ran it again.. it got to 88%, which is the furthest it's gotten, but unfortunately died. I ordered a new cable so will try that again tomorrow.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0