E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to Open Trunk with No Battery.

07-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #89
chris98m3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3,e90 07 335,2014 f1

The engine bay has a positive terminal n a ground just use jumper cables to paper the car to open the trunk
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #90
briansp95
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Unhappy NEED HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorax View Post
If you're reading this, you are probably stuck like I was stuck - hopefully not as bad. If you're lucky, you didn't completely remove your battery and close the trunk. If you're lucky, you have one of the features which will allow you to get access to your trunk. If you're not lucky - I feel your pain.

Here are the solutions that I found from searching.

1) 2008 models and before actually have key lock on the trunk - it's hidden above the license frame. This would have been great, but I have a 2009, so I don't have one.

2) Some models have a trunk pass through which would allow access through which you could pull the manual release within the trunk using a coat hangar or something. My doesn't. (I also spent some time trying to remove the seat backs, but I don't think I could have gotten them out without breaking something because the latches held them in place so securely.)

3) You can apply power to the car from the engine area -there's a big red + and a ground point nearby. Once power is on the car just push the trunk release in the driver's footwell. This is almost certain to work for most everyone. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the battery was completely removed and the cable were lying loose. That was strike three - I felt like I was out.

4) The only solution that worked for me was to run down the wiring diagrams and locate the "central locking drive, trunk lid" that's the solonoid that actually releases the trunk. Most of the effort was getting the information - the job itself was actually pretty easy. Here it is:

a) Take out the two torx screws just below the glovebox on the left and right to remove the panel below the glovebox. Disconnect the power socket and the light which are attached to the panel.

b) Below the fusebox there is a big flat horizontal junction box (Junction Box A4010). You can spot it easily because there are two big connectors going into it facing you. There is a flat wide connector plugging into the BACKSIDE of this same junction box. There are about a dozen small wires going into it and one big brown ground. This is the one you need to get to. (Connector X14270) Ideally, you'd want to disconnect this, but I could not manage to get it out from that position.

c) Identify the small wire which is gray with a stripe of green (it looks mostly gray). If you get the connector out, this is pin 12. It's the only grey/green wire in the bunch though.

d) You need to very briefly apply 12 volts to this lead to pop the trunk. I did it the ugly way - I very carefully razored off some of the insulation to expose it. Then I just attached some leads to my new battery. I stuck the ground lead into brown wire connector for the power socket I had disconnected when I removed the glove box panel. Then I just brushed the positive lead against the exposed pin 12 wire. The trunk popped instantly.

Now that I know what to do, I'll bet I could do this in 10 minutes. It's really just two screws to remove the pane and knowing which wire to power. I hope no one ends up in such a stupid situation, but if they do I hope this helps.
Hey Blorax, So unfortunately I am in the same situation as you were in. However I have a 2006 325I. I've already got to the wires but am worried that since you have a 2009 and I have a 2006 the color of the wires will be different. I have found the Gray/green wire but am still hesitant.

Please help I'm so lost.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #91
benjimatt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:

3) You can apply power to the car from the engine area -there's a big red + and a ground point nearby. Once power is on the car just push the trunk release in the driver's footwell. This is almost certain to work for most everyone. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the battery was completely removed and the cable were lying loose. That was strike three - I felt like I was out.
Sorry to bump this thread

Just so you know I locked only the key portion of my fob in my trunk. This is while I was getting my battery charged so I (HAD NO BATTERY IN THE CAR)

I had my GF connect jumper cables to her running honda and I was able to open the trunk. There have been a lot of reports saying that this wont work but It worked for me with NO BATTERY in the car.

btw thanks for this thread
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #92
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
Sorry to bump this thread

Just so you know I locked only the key portion of my fob in my trunk. This is while I was getting my battery charged so I (HAD NO BATTERY IN THE CAR)

I had my GF connect jumper cables to her running honda and I was able to open the trunk. There have been a lot of reports saying that this wont work but It worked for me with NO BATTERY in the car.

btw thanks for this thread
Floor of battery comparent isnt insulated. Positive terminal probably grounds itself for the unlucky people.

Cuz I know I managed to open the trunk through the jump pos under the hood to remove the dead battery....and, reassured by that, closed the trunk after removing it.

WHOOPS.

Jump posts = no longer working..... yaaaaaaaaay
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #93
gusgus14
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525i 2009

Hi I have been trying to get my trunk of my 2009 bmw 525i open because idiot me forgot the keys inside after I disconnected the battery. I tried taking off the trunk bottom above the license plate and fish for the yellow handle inside the trunk but I can get it with anything.

I tried opening under the glove box to power it up but I can't find the right cables because I don't have the same cables as everybody in the pictures I think I have a different junction box
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #94
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #95
peat_s
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
+1

It will feel like you are breaking it, but you arn't
Push down on the trunk while turning, and it will turn easier.
BTW, turn it left, or counter-clockwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #96
Veetz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335is

This thread saved me. I took my battery out of my 335is and the trunk was accidentally closed. So grateful for this info.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #97
ben159
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi all, first post here. Just want to thank Blorax as I followed that guide and it worked for me.

For those of you (who, like me) are not all too familiar with a toolbox, these two photos ought to help you find what you need.

https://ibb.co/e1tEEc

https://ibb.co/mEq5LH

Also attached to this post in case they get deleted from imgbb.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 02:49 AM   #98
David88881959
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 z4

I have a 2009 z4.
I have enjoyed reading the posts.
Is there a pull wire in the trunk to open the trunk lid?
I do have a pass through from the driving section.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:54 AM   #99
David88881959
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 z4

Or will this glovebox trick work for me too
Your help would be much apprecated.
The roof close cycle is not complete, so i cant even put my windows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #100
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Thank you sir. Hood terminal with battery charger did the trick. Wow.
      05-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #101
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Had the same issue, disconnected the battery, closing the trunk without realizing what I had just done. I have a 09 e90, so no keyhole and no folding seats.

I tried to jump it using the underhood positive lead and grounding to something under the hood but realized there was no good ground. Ended up hooking onto the ground strap right under the crankshaft pulley and it energized the car without issue.

The key is getting a good ground, if you don't see some sparks (minor), you're not grounded.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #102
chetured
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3 SMG

SAME DUMB@SS Situation

DIsconnected battery and closed trunkkk -shoud I pull the wire or the rubber cover... which wire is BLORAX talking about? see image
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #103
chetured
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabdriver View Post
Had the same issue, disconnected the battery, closing the trunk without realizing what I had just done. I have a 09 e90, so no keyhole and no folding seats.

I tried to jump it using the underhood positive lead and grounding to something under the hood but realized there was no good ground. Ended up hooking onto the ground strap right under the crankshaft pulley and it energized the car without issue.

The key is getting a good ground, if you don't see some sparks (minor), you're not grounded.
Did you have both terminals disconnected in your battery? I am not getting ground - cause my battery is out completely - will it work if i ground correctly ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #104
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
hook up on to the charging posts and pop trunk
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #105
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ant View Post
There is a key hole near the top of the license plate to open your trunk manually. When you find it, insert your key in and twist really hard. It may feel like you're breaking your key, but you're not.
I wonder how many folks paid attention to the year the OP listed and then went to search for a key slot for several minutes. I recalled not having one due to exploring the trunk handle camera mod.
      08-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #106
chetured
Rep

which wires ?

Which wires to jump ? Brown is visible? Grey/Green? Also how does the connector actually come out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
I know what the procedure generally is, but even then I still find it impossible to figure out what each photo is illustrating! How about some captions, or a separate post with 'Photo1 shows....', 'Photo2 shows...', etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #107
335Jim
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i 2010

I just did this, disconnected my battery fully (Not in the car) and now I cant get the trunk open. Is it 100% working to give a spark on the Green/gray cabel befor I start ripping out my glovebox...?

Help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #108
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=97

If you're reading this, you are probably stuck like I was stuck - hopefully not as bad. If you're lucky, you didn't completely remove your battery and close the trunk. If you're lucky, you have one of the features which will allow you to get access to your trunk. If you're not lucky - I feel your pain.

Here are the solutions that I found from searching.

1) 2008 models and before actually have key lock on the trunk - it's hidden above the license frame. This would have been great, but I have a 2009, so I don't have one.

2) Some models have a trunk pass through which would allow access through which you could pull the manual release within the trunk using a coat hangar or something. My doesn't. (I also spent some time trying to remove the seat backs, but I don't think I could have gotten them out without breaking something because the latches held them in place so securely.)

4) The only solution that worked for me was to run down the wiring diagrams and locate the "central locking drive, trunk lid" that's the solonoid that actually releases the trunk. Most of the effort was getting the information - the job itself was actually pretty easy. Here it is:

a) Take out the two torx screws just below the glovebox on the left and right to remove the panel below the glovebox. Disconnect the power socket and the light which are attached to the panel.

b) Below the fusebox there is a big flat horizontal junction box (Junction Box A4010). You can spot it easily because there are two big connectors going into it facing you. There is a flat wide connector plugging into the BACKSIDE of this same junction box. There are about a dozen small wires going into it and one big brown ground. This is the one you need to get to. (Connector X14270) Ideally, you'd want to disconnect this, but I could not manage to get it out from that position.

c) Identify the small wire which is gray with a stripe of green (it looks mostly gray). If you get the connector out, this is pin 12. It's the only grey/green wire in the bunch though.

d) You need to very briefly apply 12 volts to this lead to pop the trunk. I did it the ugly way - I very carefully razored off some of the insulation to expose it. Then I just attached some leads to my new battery. I stuck the ground lead into brown wire connector for the power socket I had disconnected when I removed the glove box panel. Then I just brushed the positive lead against the exposed pin 12 wire. The trunk popped instantly.

Now that I know what to do, I'll bet I could do this in 10 minutes. It's really just two screws to remove the pane and knowing which wire to power. I hope no one ends up in such a stupid situation, but if they do I hope this helps.
      11-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #109
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alou View Post
This happened to me, too...

Do you have the ski pass thru in the back seat? If so, pop that off. Then you can reach into the truck and pull the seat fold-down releases. Fold down both seats, and then crawl in the trunk and pull the glow-in-the-dark emergency kid release.

If you don't have the ski pass-thru, then I have no idea.
Yup. Thanks for that advice. I never knew that little plastic ski pass offered full access to a locked trunk!

As a result I just discovered a legit use for this once useless-to-me ski pass (I haven't skied in years and if I start again I certainly would not carry skis in my tiny 335i). I hadn't driven my car in a few weeks and temps have been below freezing which resulted in a battery that was so dead the trunk wont open even though the keys unlocked the doors and the dome and dash ambient lights came on. I just needed to open the ski pass and reach my jumper cables. Once my car was plugged up, even before the engine jump started, the trunk opened immediately with the key fob. Strange that I didn't realize our e90 LCI sedans lacked a key hole for the trunk. BMW really had cut corners with the LCI models. Jeez

Last edited by delmarco; 11-19-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #110
AlexKoast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg 335i 6MT

Not reading through every single post but the sedans have the latches to release rear seats beside the rear window. Can pull the rear seats down and awkwardly crawl through when no one is looking
Appreciate 0