F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run-flat or non-run-flat tires?
Studio RSR

06-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #45
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared+ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
I bought my M240i 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. I bought it in another city, about a 250-mile drive. On the way home I found myself wondering why the tires were so loud. After driving around for a bit I wondered, why does it ride so rough in comfort mode? In my life, I have owned everything from Mustang GT's to corvettes to Jeep Wranglers and many 4x4 pickups. To sum up the way this BMW drives, imagine if you will, The Flintstone's humming along on 4 rocks that are not entirely smooth. Then I discovered the dealership had placed Bridgestone S001 RFT's on the car. They are louder than the Nitto and Toyo AT tires on my Jeep and F150 FX4 while being less compliant than 305/55/20's. I will NEVER own an RFT tire again. They are shockingly bad.
Since you just picked the car up, first thing I'd do is check the tire pressure. Dealers are notorious for over-inflating tires, making the car feel really stiff and harsh; don't know why they do this. Second, before you write off RFT, run them in for about 1000 miles. My experience is that they will quiet down a lot after that. Given a choice, I'd always opt for RFT, if only for the safety and convenience of being able to limp home IF I experience a flat. Had it happen once while in a different city and easily got to a dealer for a quick repair.
How far did you have to go to a dealer on this 'flat' run-flat? I have heard that if you 'limp' somewhere that is 30-50 miles, the run-flat tire is no longer useful and, depending upon condition of other tires, you might have to purchase at least two new run-flat tires. Is this true, and if so, in my opinion, that is a BIG negative fortune-flat tires.
Yup, that's pretty accurate
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #46
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
How far did you have to go to a dealer on this 'flat' run-flat? I have heard that if you 'limp' somewhere that is 30-50 miles, the run-flat tire is no longer useful and, depending upon condition of other tires, you might have to purchase at least two new run-flat tires. Is this true, and if so, in my opinion, that is a BIG negative fortune-flat tires.
To add this scenario, after limping to a location where you can get help, the chances of any tire shop keeping run flat tires in stock are slim. Factor in anywhere outside of a major metro area and the chances of you finding a run flat are probably 0. You'd end up buying non-runflat tires simply to continue on your journey.
      07-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #47
Jeremyandeve
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328d xdrive

Thanks for all this info, I’ll be ditching my run flats very soon!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #48
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum as I'm new to the page and new to owning a BMW with run flats. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get some opinions/feelings on it.

Do most members of the page that own BMW's with run flat tires feel they are the better option over non run flats? I'm in the process of tracking down a jack kit for my car because it didn't come with one because it came with run flats. I've priced out tires and honestly the run flat tires aren't really that much more than non run flats. Also when it comes to tires I'm not concerned about the money, it's not where I look to save money. I'm of the thinking you buy cheap tires, you get cheap tires.

But in talking to the dealership about a jack I figured I'd ask his input on the run flat tires. I know they're made to go 50 miles but I was under the impression they could be repaired. I understand like any tire a tear or slice in the sidewall and they're trash. But I'm being told they shouldn't be repaired no matter what the damage. So for arguments sake I said so if my tires have a lot of tread left or are new you're saying it should still be replaced? He said yes. To which I said well if I replace just one tire then that one new tire is going to make all the tires wear uneven.

Basically he told me BMW went with run flats to lighten the weight on the car and improve performance. Said it wasn't to be cost effective.

So what's some opinions on this subject?
Skimmed through this thread and i think most things were covered but let me throw a few things out there:

1. Bolded statement above is 100% false. RFT are heavier than non RFT generally speaking, and perform worse.

2. You can repair RFTs. I had a patch/plug put in my OEM bridgestone S001 RFT on a rear tire. Drove it for 10k more miles without a single issue even though the plug was VERY close to the sidewall; this included 150+ mph pulls and donuts. Patched a front tire for about 2k miles and then decided i was done with RFTs and got non-runflat PS4S. Obviously performance, ride, etc, all dramatically improved.

3. RFT are much more susceptible to getting sidewall damage and bubbles. I hit ONE pothole, not even that bag, sidewall bubbled and the inside of the tire split. I drove the car for 5k more miles like that but would not necessarily recommend doing so. Only option at that point is to replace the tire.

My recommendation - ditch runflats, get AAA incase you get a flat. If you are taking a long road trips, BMW seems a OEM space saver spare.

Sidewall bubble -
View post on imgur.com

inside of the tire with the bubble -
View post on imgur.com
I agree with the fact that RFT's can be repaired via plug depending on location. However my question is: is the tire useful after driving on it 30-50 miles after it has no air in it?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #49
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I don't believe they are. From what I understand, but the time the tire has been driven 30~50 miles totally flat the sidewalls are shot and the tire must be replaced. They can only support the weight of that corner for so long.