E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Back-up camera first-hand comparison: Bimmer-tech vs. Modmynav

03-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
hikoreanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335ix and '01 Z3 2.5i

Back-up camera first-hand comparison: Bimmer-tech vs. Modmynav

I've got a 2009 335xi and have been through two back-up camera systems, modmynav and bimmer-tech, so I thought it would be helpful to post this head to head comparison. I initially got the modmynav cam almost 2 yrs ago when I bought my car and just switched to bimmer-tech.

This comparison is based on a number of criteria including ease of installation, incorporation into CIC, coding requirements, other features, and overall quality. Both of these cameras are integrated into the trunk handle.

Installation:

The modmynav camera system was more complex to install, involving removal of the CIC display monitor as well as glovebox. However the step-by-step instructions were great in guiding the process. The bimmer-tech camera installation involved only taking down the trim, removing the climate control panel and CIC module in addition to installing and wiring the camera.

Coding and CIC integration:

The modmynav camera activation did not require any coding and was activated on installation, whereas the bimmer-tech camera required coding to incorporate the reverse camera into the CIC. What was nice about this integration is that you can control contrast and brightness of the video with i-drive. This was not possible with modmynav camera. Coding was basic and easy to do myself, but help was available online as the man in charge of bimmer-tech was able to make corrections and code via skype and internet connection even though he was on the other side of the world several time zones away.

Other options:

While modmynav's module offers a frontview camera and additional video inputs not offered on the bimmertech, I found that the module was always hot, or 'on,' even when the car was off, causing drain on the battery. The modmynav module also had an advantage of full screen display when using the reverse camera, whereas the one incorporated into CIC had the bird's eye PDC split screen view.

Quality:

When comparing the video quality, I found the modmynav video to be a little grainy, particularly at night. Also, the fitment of the camera of the trunk handle did not clip on, like the OEM trunk handle or the bimmer-tech camera. Rather it was held in place with 3M double-stick foam.

Personally, I prefer the CIC integrated back up camera from bimmer-tech. It feels more OEM which requires basic coding, but some may prefer the option of additional video inputs to play dvds or to have a front facing camera. Modmynav would better suit those needs.

Hope this is helpful for those deciding on a back-up cam for their e90. Feel free to ask me questions regarding these two back up cams.

Cheers!

TK
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Thanks for the comparison, possible to see screen shots of the bimer-tech camera in action?
      03-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
hikoreanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335ix and '01 Z3 2.5i

here's a link to a youtube video of bimmertech's camera in action:

attached below is a pic of my M3's install i did a few days ago:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf backup.pdf (2.63 MB, 559 views)
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
e90forlife
Rep
Drives: E90

very cool i have same setup with navtool camera interface
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Thanks for the comparison. Am looking at adding a back up camera…Very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Of note, Bimmer-Tech is now offering dynamic parking lines for both their OEM integration solution as well as for their aftermarket solution. I was the first customer to install the aftermarket solution with the dynamic lines and I love it. I opted for the aftermarket one as it expands the video to the full screen and since i don't have PDC I preferred that.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
peteranton
Rep
Drives: 6spd 335ix/228ix Conv/X3 M40i

Selling same units?

I understand that modmynav is a BimmerTech US dealer and sells the same exact Backup Camera units. Is that correct? Anyone else have the same information? Then it would be just a decision on price, time of delivery and customer service help during the install.

Why do people purchase direct from BimmerTech and wait the three weeks for delivery (and the DHL extra cost)? I must be missing something.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranton View Post
I understand that modmynav is a BimmerTech US dealer and sells the same exact Backup Camera units. Is that correct? Anyone else have the same information? Then it would be just a decision on price, time of delivery and customer service help during the install.

Why do people purchase direct from BimmerTech and wait the three weeks for delivery (and the DHL extra cost)? I must be missing something.
There is no 3 week shipping and I don't think I paid for shipping..it was all in. BimmerTech is top notch. Customer service is A++...a great product,
Appreciate 0