E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help on e91 Diesel Turbo failure

05-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
stefanakis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91

Help on e91 Diesel Turbo failure

Hello everyone,

So I've had this car for about 8 years now and it has had its fair share of problems (mainly electronic stuff) but there is a specific problem that worries me; the turbo.

I bought the car with about 80.000 Km in it and at 170.000, the turbo went (the car made a loud whistling noise when I revved). As soon as I heard the sound I pulled over, called my mechanic and he told me that it's the turbo so the car was loaded on a road assistance truck and was off to the shop where they replaced the turbo with a new (genuine) one.

The mechanic in question has a BMW certified repair shop (not a dealership) and hasn't shown any shady behavior before.

Now comes the tricky part:
About 90.000 Km after the first turbo failed, the new one failed too! (in the exact same way) and I again called the mechanic to have it replaced once again and pay upwards of 1000 euro once again smh.

So my question is: Is it the cars' fault (i.e. was I unlucky with this one) OR is the mechanic a fraud and either installed a knock off turbo or didn't do the necessary maintenance to prevent this damage from happening again??

P.S. The car is serviced as soon as the notification pops up, so there is no issue of neglecting basic maintenance.

Last edited by stefanakis; 06-17-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0