F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run-flat or non-run-flat tires?
proTUNING Freaks

06-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Run-flat or non-run-flat tires?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum as I'm new to the page and new to owning a BMW with run flats. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get some opinions/feelings on it.

Do most members of the page that own BMW's with run flat tires feel they are the better option over non run flats? I'm in the process of tracking down a jack kit for my car because it didn't come with one because it came with run flats. I've priced out tires and honestly the run flat tires aren't really that much more than non run flats. Also when it comes to tires I'm not concerned about the money, it's not where I look to save money. I'm of the thinking you buy cheap tires, you get cheap tires.

But in talking to the dealership about a jack I figured I'd ask his input on the run flat tires. I know they're made to go 50 miles but I was under the impression they could be repaired. I understand like any tire a tear or slice in the sidewall and they're trash. But I'm being told they shouldn't be repaired no matter what the damage. So for arguments sake I said so if my tires have a lot of tread left or are new you're saying it should still be replaced? He said yes. To which I said well if I replace just one tire then that one new tire is going to make all the tires wear uneven.

Basically he told me BMW went with run flats to lighten the weight on the car and improve performance. Said it wasn't to be cost effective.

So what's some opinions on this subject?
      06-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Ryanmbrown410
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93 09

In my opinion, I would go with non-run flats. When I use to use run flats, the ride I would experience in about a 4-6 month period of time post installation was always very bumpy and undesirable. However, my BMW has always been exceptionally low with low profile tires. I live in a more cold area (Cleveland, OH in the USA). The snow plows destroy the road. I purchased the wrong car due to my geographic location. Therefore, if you live a nice area that doesn’t have a significant amount of pot holes and you expect to get a minimal level of flats, I would get non run flat tires but if you have a significant amount of pot holes where you are geographically and expect your car to have a flat more than frequently (which has been my experience with my BMW) I would get the run flats if your not ok with having the constant tows (2 to 3 times a year, it’s a total pain). I do not have room for a spare tire given mine is a convertible. So just weigh stuff out. The run flats have a performance impact for sure. Not getting them however can definitely be a hassle if it’s your every day car. My BMW is my Sunday ride at this point. Not my everyday vehicle. So weigh the options out. Also being new to a Beamer, definitely definitely hold that wheel lock close to you. If you lose it, and do not have the wheel lock code from the card that came with your owner’s manual (I bought one without any card with the wheel lock code), that will be another tow to the BMW dealership just to get a wheel lock that will fit. Again, total pain. Awesome cars but in my opinion NOT an every day drive type of vehicle. Love my beamer, very attached to it but would never be stupid enough to make that mistake ever again.
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Ryanmbrown410
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93 09

Also, you are correct, the run flats cannot be repaired. I have gone with very expensive tires on my BMW, they lasted (or blew) as quickly as the cheap ones. I understand your opinion though and in other circumstances with other vehicles I own, I get more expensive or reliable tires. On the BMW, I expect them to blow quickly no matter what bc of me location and how low the car sits. You cannot repair a run flat though.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I bought my M240i 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. I bought it in another city, about a 250-mile drive. On the way home I found myself wondering why the tires were so loud. After driving around for a bit I wondered, why does it ride so rough in comfort mode? In my life, I have owned everything from Mustang GT's to corvettes to Jeep Wranglers and many 4x4 pickups. To sum up the way this BMW drives, imagine if you will, The Flintstone's humming along on 4 rocks that are not entirely smooth. Then I discovered the dealership had placed Bridgestone S001 RFT's on the car. They are louder than the Nitto and Toyo AT tires on my Jeep and F150 FX4 while being less compliant than 305/55/20's. I will NEVER own an RFT tire again. They are shockingly bad.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Darkmann
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Don't know what BMW you have, but without the kit and without room to store a busted tire, stay with the run-flat. I have a MB ML500 with non run-flats. A few years back, on a 10 Hr trip to North Carolina, I had a flat. With a fully loaded trunk and 5 passengers, it was a nightmare storing the busted 19" wheel/tire in the cabin until my next service center. My 2012 X5 3.5 came with run flats. I switched to non-run flats and purchased the kit. Shortly after, I went back to run flats simply because they drove just as well and I didn't want to have the ML experience. Sold 2012 X5 and now have a 2017 X5 5.0 M-Sport with massive Dunlop SSRs. They drive just as well as any non run-flats, so I'll keep them. I also have a 2018 M3 which will never see run flats until run-flats drive like the non run-flat OEM Michelins. If you get my drift here - spirited driving = non run-flats.

As far as fixing run-flats, I had two on the M5 3.5 and one on the 5.0 fixed, both from nail puncture in the center area. They 3.5 drove for another 50K with no issues. The 5.0 is still running with no issues. You can have them patched by a pro shop. Otherwise you'd have to replace both to satisfy BMW's minimum thread depth difference requirement for traction control warranty.

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-01-2020 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.14]
Run flats are poor excuse for a performance tire. That is why M cars come with non run flats.
Appreciate 3
      06-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Run flat and performance shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence.
DanG10335.50
BigHunk268.00
      06-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Regular tires are :
1. Much better ride comfort.
2. They wear even compared to RFT(cupping)
3. Ride is much more quiet.
J555567.00
      06-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Regular tires are :
1. Much better ride comfort.
2. They wear even compared to RFT(cupping)
3. Ride is much more quiet.
So did your car come with run flats and no spare? Then you replaced them with non run flats? Right now it has Pirelli Cinturato All Season Run Flats 225/40 R19's.
      06-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Moved to regular tires since the beginning and never looked back.
Have a look in the link; maybe it helps.

Cheers

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820397
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #11
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Moved to regular tires since the beginning and never looked back.
Have a look in the link; maybe it helps.

Cheers

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820397
What tires did you end up going with and did you get a spare?
      06-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
I am running Continental DWS 06

I do not have a spare. I have a foam kit and a plug kit.
Never had a problem as I replace my tires when they are at 70% max 65% left, but my mechanic suggested to use a plug kit as the foam is messy and if I will get back to him with that he will call me names.

Please read the thread. It will be very informative for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Here is an example of why vehicles should have full a sized spare tire. Wife is in So. Cal. for a wedding clipped something on the hwy that punctured the sidewall. It can not be fixed. It is Saturday afternoon. I make some calls to places that should have a good selection of tires. None have one, but can get something by Monday or Tuesday. She puts the spare on and Sunday morning drives 500+ miles home. Without a real spare she would have been stuck for 24-48 hours.

The above was the second flat while traveling. And with that one the same thing, side wall damage that was not fixable. That time it was a Sunday night and we spent the night because the mini spare was a POS with a 50 mph limit and we had 300 miles to go. Fortunately the Big-O tire shop in the middle of Idaho had a tire would work for that vehicle. Big-O was great as we bought original tires from them as well as the replacements. They were good - so will give them a plug.

More to the point is that with many performance vehicles, even in major metropolitan areas getting a replacement tire takes a couple of business days. If you are traveling yer screwed. And even if local 50 miles on a RFT can be nothing.

Flats do not happen often, but damn when they do and they can not be fixed, it a can be real PITA these days. So for use get a full size spare and toss in the boot when traveling. Yeah it takes up room, but better than couple nights in a motel room.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 06-01-2020 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
cmplaya211.50
      06-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
I am running Continental DWS 06

I do not have a spare. I have a foam kit and a plug kit.
Never had a problem as I replace my tires when they are at 70% max 65% left, but my mechanic suggested to use a plug kit as the foam is messy and if I will get back to him with that he will call me names.

Please read the thread. It will be very informative for you.
Yeah I've read nothing but bad things about that fix a flat foam. It gets very sticky and messy and is hard to get off your wheels when replacing a tire. Also I read it can mess with the tire pressure sensors/monitors?

I find myself starting to lean towards getting non run flats when the time comes. I just want to make sure I get a quality all season tire. I live in upstate NY and get my share of snow. I've been driving in upstate winters for 30 years now so a quality all season tire combined with the all wheel drive works fine for me.
      06-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #15
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Quote:
So did your car come with run flats and no spare? Then you replaced them with non run flats? Right now it has Pirelli Cinturato All Season Run Flats 225/40 R19's.
It came from factory with RFT, Bmw didn't had solution for tire cupping, because RFT sidewall it very firm, so it can't flex as a normal tire.
Added flat tire kit with compressor.
Just the ride comfort, it's worth it.

Went with Michelin.
      06-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #16
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
Here is an example of why vehicles should have full a sized spare tire. Wife is in So. Cal. for a wedding clipped something on the hwy that punctured the sidewall. It can not be fixed. It is Saturday afternoon. I make some calls to places that should have a good selection of tires. None have one, but can get something by Monday or Tuesday. She puts the spare on and Sunday morning drives 500+ miles home. Without a real spare she would have been stuck for 24-48 hours.

The above was the second flat while traveling. And with that one the same thing, side wall damage that was not fixable. That time it was a Sunday night and we spent the night because the mini spare was a POS with a 50 mph limit and we had 300 miles to go. Fortunately the Big-O tire shop in the middle of Idaho had a tire would work for that vehicle. Big-O was great as we bought original tires from them as well as the replacements. They were good - so will give them a plug.

More to the point is that with many performance vehicles, even in major metropolitan areas getting a replacement tire takes a couple of business days. If you are traveling yer screwed. And even if local 50 miles on a RFT can be nothing.

Flats do not happen often, but damn when they do and they can not be fixed, it a can be real PITA these days. So for use get a full size spare and toss in the boot when traveling. Yeah it takes up room, but better than couple nights in a motel room.
Yeah you make great very valid points that I agree with. I've always had a spare if even my last car, 2013 VW GLI, had a donut. But still at least it was a spare. As I've said this is my first BMW and also my first car with run flats.

The more input I get the more I'm leaning towards getting non run flats when the time comes for tires. I know I'll easily spend $800-$1000 when all is said and done, but I'm ok with that. I just want quality tires. This is why I'm ordering a jack kit and looking into a spare.

Any input or links from anyone on a place to buy a spare tire and wheel would be appreciated. Thanks!
      06-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #17
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Quote:
It came from factory with RFT, Bmw didn't had solution for tire cupping, because RFT sidewall it very firm, so it can't flex as a normal tire.
Added flat tire kit with compressor.
Just the ride comfort, it's worth it.

Went with Michelin.
If I can ask, where did you get the flat tire kit. I have a compressor already that I carried in my last car.
      06-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #18
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Yeah I've read nothing but bad things about that fix a flat foam. It gets very sticky and messy and is hard to get off your wheels when replacing a tire. Also I read it can mess with the tire pressure sensors/monitors?
It does work but the clean up is PITA. Gotta pay the tire folks extra to deal with it.

Quote:
I find myself starting to lean towards getting non run flats when the time comes. I just want to make sure I get a quality all season tire. I live in upstate NY and get my share of snow. I've been driving in upstate winters for 30 years now so a quality all season tire combined with the all wheel drive works fine for me.
You might actually look at getting a second set of wheels. One for winter tires and one for the rest of the year. That is what we went with. And when we travel, we just grab one of the others as our spare.

FWIW when we ditched our RFT there was still enough thread left that I sold them to someone who tossed them on their lease return as they meet the minimum amount of thread.

Quote:
Any input or links from anyone on a place to buy a spare tire and wheel would be appreciated. Thanks!
We bought an OEM kit for our X1 buggy on fleabay. It was good deal as it came with the jack but also a wrench with the right torque all in a nice little case.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 06-01-2020 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #19
e28bmr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 Z3, 2013 X1, 2017 i3 REx

Non-run flats for sure! Just too few good options in run-flats. Better to just buy some good non-run flats and keep a patch kit and air compressor in the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #20
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e28bmr View Post
Non-run flats for sure! Just too few good options in run-flats. Better to just buy some good non-run flats and keep a patch kit and air compressor in the car.
I'm really liking these Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate's on TireRack.com.
      06-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #21
BSquared+
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
I bought my M240i 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. I bought it in another city, about a 250-mile drive. On the way home I found myself wondering why the tires were so loud. After driving around for a bit I wondered, why does it ride so rough in comfort mode? In my life, I have owned everything from Mustang GT's to corvettes to Jeep Wranglers and many 4x4 pickups. To sum up the way this BMW drives, imagine if you will, The Flintstone's humming along on 4 rocks that are not entirely smooth. Then I discovered the dealership had placed Bridgestone S001 RFT's on the car. They are louder than the Nitto and Toyo AT tires on my Jeep and F150 FX4 while being less compliant than 305/55/20's. I will NEVER own an RFT tire again. They are shockingly bad.
Since you just picked the car up, first thing I'd do is check the tire pressure. Dealers are notorious for over-inflating tires, making the car feel really stiff and harsh; don't know why they do this. Second, before you write off RFT, run them in for about 1000 miles. My experience is that they will quiet down a lot after that. Given a choice, I'd always opt for RFT, if only for the safety and convenience of being able to limp home IF I experience a flat. Had it happen once while in a different city and easily got to a dealer for a quick repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum as I'm new to the page and new to owning a BMW with run flats. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get some opinions/feelings on it.

Do most members of the page that own BMW's with run flat tires feel they are the better option over non run flats? I'm in the process of tracking down a jack kit for my car because it didn't come with one because it came with run flats. I've priced out tires and honestly the run flat tires aren't really that much more than non run flats. Also when it comes to tires I'm not concerned about the money, it's not where I look to save money. I'm of the thinking you buy cheap tires, you get cheap tires.

But in talking to the dealership about a jack I figured I'd ask his input on the run flat tires. I know they're made to go 50 miles but I was under the impression they could be repaired. I understand like any tire a tear or slice in the sidewall and they're trash. But I'm being told they shouldn't be repaired no matter what the damage. So for arguments sake I said so if my tires have a lot of tread left or are new you're saying it should still be replaced? He said yes. To which I said well if I replace just one tire then that one new tire is going to make all the tires wear uneven.

Basically he told me BMW went with run flats to lighten the weight on the car and improve performance. Said it wasn't to be cost effective.

So what's some opinions on this subject?
Skimmed through this thread and i think most things were covered but let me throw a few things out there:

1. Bolded statement above is 100% false. RFT are heavier than non RFT generally speaking, and perform worse.

2. You can repair RFTs. I had a patch/plug put in my OEM bridgestone S001 RFT on a rear tire. Drove it for 10k more miles without a single issue even though the plug was VERY close to the sidewall; this included 150+ mph pulls and donuts. Patched a front tire for about 2k miles and then decided i was done with RFTs and got non-runflat PS4S. Obviously performance, ride, etc, all dramatically improved.

3. RFT are much more susceptible to getting sidewall damage and bubbles. I hit ONE pothole, not even that bag, sidewall bubbled and the inside of the tire split. I drove the car for 5k more miles like that but would not necessarily recommend doing so. Only option at that point is to replace the tire.

My recommendation - ditch runflats, get AAA incase you get a flat. If you are taking a long road trips, BMW seems a OEM space saver spare.

Sidewall bubble -
View post on imgur.com

inside of the tire with the bubble -
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2