E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Grease vs. Anti-seize, suspension bushings

06-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
TDF9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Grease vs. Anti-seize, suspension bushings

Hi all.

I'm working my way through replacing the rear subframe on my 215k 2006 325i 6MT. (Original had more or less rusted through - when I got it off, realized I could have broken off one of the four big "arms" with my foot... scary, but I digress.)

Given the trouble I've had with some disassembly - eventually had to Sawzall off the eccentric bolt holding one swing arm - I'm inclined to use anti-seize liberally on all the bolts... for each control arm, trailing arm, swing arm, toe arm, sway bar links and mounts, differential bolts, etc.

But I just googled, and now realize perhaps anti-seize is not some miracle elixir to be slathered on every piece of hardware. Even some scary warnings it allows you to easily over torque bolts.

So I could use advice about:
1) when to use old fashioned grease rather than anti-seize - on which bolts?
2) what's the best (longest lasting, most corrosion resistant) grease?

Thanks in advance, all!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Anti seize is an excellent product. Coat the shanks of bolts and it can save you headache down the road. If you keep it off the threads you won't have any torque issues, but with the steel hardware used for the control arms etc I would not be very concerned about it.

I will typically use grease on fasteners I will be disassembling in the near future and/or on a regular basis. Simply because it is easier to clean up. And I use Thixogrease #2.

I am going to guess your driving environment is pretty corrosive. If you want to really be proactive, spray the subframe down in all the holes,gaps and exposed threads with something like Corrosion X or LPS 3. It will leave a waxy residue that will be a barrier to moisture.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
TDF9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Thanks for the advice, Avocet. Indeed, pretty corrosive conditions here in New England - I'll check out those products.
Appreciate 0