E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Backup camera relay

08-12-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
kenny22
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318d

Backup camera relay

Hello,

My E90 didn't came with PDC so i decided to install a backup camera (from ebay). I also installed a new rear view mirror with lcd integrated for the image. In this forum there someone said there was a problem that the voltage of the rear view light was not stable enough to power the camera directly so the image would be interfered with stripes or total image loss. The trick for them was to install a relay that takes 12V directly from the battery and the rear view light to trigger the relay. I did this but when i rev the engine a little bit the image gets distorted.

My wiring diagram is like this one.
http://www.car-vision.co.uk/content/...-camera-wiring

There is also a cable that goes from the reverse light to my mirror with the lcd. Sinds this is not switched i thought that this could give interference. I cut this one ( mirror does not turn on automatically when in reverse) but problem is the same.

When the engine is off , but the contact is on and in reverse the image is crisp.
It's like when the engine revs, the voltage drops too low. Or maybe bad ground?
Can't be bad connections, everything is soldered en isolated.

Any ideas?
Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
kenny22
Registered
Rep

I think i have a little breakthrough. Instead of connecting the ground of the battery to the camera, i connected the ground of the reverse light to it. Now i have a clear image that remains clear even if i drive the car, or rev the engine.

So far so good, keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
kenny22
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny22 View Post
I think i have a little breakthrough. Instead of connecting the ground of the battery to the camera, i connected the ground of the reverse light to it. Now i have a clear image that remains clear even if i drive the car, or rev the engine.

So far so good, keep you posted.
Problem is back. Someone that has any idea on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Mayimbe
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335Xi

You could try a voltage regulator to keep the voltage steady at 12v.
Appreciate 1
Cbozz688.50