E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > e93 335is Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers

07-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
co_spgs_f15x5
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

e93 335is Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers

I'm getting conflicting information whether the Ohlins Road & Track coilovers (BMS MiO1) will fit my 2013 335is convertible (e93). Appreciate feedback from anyone here who knows first-hand.

Also, if you've installed these on your e93 and have a recommendation on spring rate (vs the included 400 lb front, 685 lb rear), please advise. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I think the correct designation for your model is MI00. I'll leave others to comment on spring rates as most people on this forum seem to be after razor sharp handling with no concern about ride quality.

Ohlins first launched the E9X set with low spring rates (suited me fine because I was after a pliant ride) but there was a lot of criticism on the forums and after two or three years they issued a revised kit with much higher spring rates. I think the earlier kit was designated MI01 which Ohlins now list for the E8X 1-series only.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
bennyball
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I think the correct designation for your model is MI00. I'll leave others to comment on spring rates as most people on this forum seem to be after razor sharp handling with no concern about ride quality.

Ohlins first launched the E9X set with low spring rates (suited me fine because I was after a pliant ride) but there was a lot of criticism on the forums and after two or three years they issued a revised kit with much higher spring rates. I think the earlier kit was designated MI01 which Ohlins now list for the E8X 1-series only.
This is interesting, any idea what the original spring rates were?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:44 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyball View Post
This is interesting, any idea what the original spring rates were?
60Nm front, 70Nm rear. Later increased (I believe) to 70Nm front and 120Nm rear.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #5
Haideezy
Boost>N/A
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:
60Nm front, 70Nm rear. Later increased (I believe) to 70Nm front and 120Nm rear.
Their old spring rate is just about what the ST coilovers are now lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:

Not really. Ride quality would be increased with the new spring rates. Ohlins launched with imbalanced spring rates that lead to ride frequency issues (bounce and overly soft rear-end) and understeer. They gave you a 3x stiffer front spring and a STOCK rear spring rate. Make sense to you? People complain about everything. 120Nm rear spring rate is still nothing. sure you'll feel more because it is stiffer but if you wanted STOCK spring rates because of the comfort then whyd you buy ohlins? just stick with msport suspension lol or dinan/swift/eibach or whatever on some Koni FSD.

Barry @ 3dm put a car on a shaker rig test and came up with the new spring rates based on those results... which is somethings ohlin's should've done if they cared to release a halfway decent suspension kit from the start. Reality is all these big suspension companies just take their generic damper and make it fit each new chassis. They aren't re-developing their kits with every chassis update despite each chassis having different geometry. So, Ohlin's updated the off the shelf kit to use barry's setup basically after he did the leg work years later. Barry's custom setup still comes with better valving though for motorsports I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:42 AM   #7
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Not really. Ride quality would be increased with the new spring rates. Ohlins launched with imbalanced spring rates that lead to ride frequency issues (bounce and overly soft rear-end) and understeer. They gave you a 3x stiffer front spring and a STOCK rear spring rate. Make sense to you? People complain about everything. 120Nm rear spring rate is still nothing. sure you'll feel more because it is stiffer but if you wanted STOCK spring rates because of the comfort then whyd you buy ohlins? just stick with msport suspension lol or dinan/swift/eibach or whatever on some Koni FSD.

Barry @ 3dm put a car on a shaker rig test and came up with the new spring rates based on those results... which is somethings ohlin's should've done if they cared to release a halfway decent suspension kit from the start. Reality is all these big suspension companies just take their generic damper and make it fit each new chassis. They aren't re-developing their kits with every chassis update despite each chassis having different geometry. So, Ohlin's updated the off the shelf kit to use barry's setup basically after he did the leg work years later. Barry's custom setup still comes with better valving though for motorsports I believe.
There are lots of reasons to buy 'performance' parts like coilovers with softer rates than are required for racing. The damping hardware is the biggest overall improvement. Spring upgrades are trivial and their impact on the ride not-so-trivial. Damping improvements of the Ohlins quality is what you're paying for. Sacrificing mechanical grip with springs that are too stiff very often results in less mechanical grip and less comfort.

I've gone both ways with coilovers in the past. I never regretted having the softer spring set, whereas with the stiffer ones - everything just sort of sucked except when I was on the track. Where I used the car <1% of the time.

All depends on what you want out of the car.
Appreciate 1
Phil325i614.50
      07-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]