E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 vs Non-M Front Subframe



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #23
freedomfries
Daily Driven
freedomfries's Avatar
Canada
473
Rep
720
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 "330i"
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2009 E90 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
Do you know why 1 series E82 don'h have this V black bracing?

My idea is that maybe we (1 serie owners) could fit the thorough M3 Reinforcment plate (without cut). It would be great

Thanks
Likely due to cost cutting. For example, the E90 doesn't have any rear subframe reinforcement like the E91, E92 or E93.
Appreciate 1
ornicar31.00

      07-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #24
autoart
Lieutenant Colonel
212
Rep
1,954
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e90 M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (8)

I have often wondered if the rear brace from a M3 would make much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #25
freedomfries
Daily Driven
freedomfries's Avatar
Canada
473
Rep
720
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 "330i"
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2009 E90 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
I have often wondered if the rear brace from a M3 would make much of a difference.
I fitted the E9x M3 rear subframe brace onto my E90 and it helped the chassis feel much more solid:



Info here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...postcount=4300
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:43 AM   #26
autoart
Lieutenant Colonel
212
Rep
1,954
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e90 M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (8)

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #27
Phil325i
Colonel
Phil325i's Avatar
United Kingdom
301
Rep
2,636
Posts

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
A word of warning. Having just attempted the 'freedomfries' double bar brace solution, anyone from the UK or Europe, be aware. If your car is fitted with electric steering, the rack is about double the size in circumference (due to the electric motor) and sits below the line taken by the nearside brace.

I had to make cut-outs in the bar and insert packing pieces between the brace and subframe to create the necessary clearance. I guess the same clearance issues would also apply if trying to fit the M3 alloy reinforcing panel. It will foul on the steering rack. Just so you're aware...
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 2 x chassis braces; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
ornicar31.00

      08-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #28
ornicar
Private First Class
ornicar's Avatar
31
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 125i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
A word of warning. Having just attempted the 'freedomfries' double bar brace solution, anyone from the UK or Europe, be aware. If your car is fitted with electric steering, the rack is about double the size in circumference (due to the electric motor) and sits below the line taken by the nearside brace.

I had to make cut-outs in the bar and insert packing pieces between the brace and subframe to create the necessary clearance. I guess the same clearance issues would also apply if trying to fit the M3 alloy reinforcing panel. It will foul on the steering rack. Just so you're aware...
Thanks a lot for your feedback and warning!

So i am going to have some issues to fit the M3 reinforcement plate that i just come to buy....

do you have some photos maybe?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:12 AM   #29
Phil325i
Colonel
Phil325i's Avatar
United Kingdom
301
Rep
2,636
Posts

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
Thanks a lot for your feedback and warning!

So i am going to have some issues to fit the M3 reinforcement plate that i just come to buy....

do you have some photos maybe?
I didn't go for the reinforcement plate but the 'two bar' alternative. I think you will need to cut away a portion of the plate to avoid fouling the steering rack motor. How much that will weaken the plate I don't know.
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 2 x chassis braces; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST