E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What's your next car after moving on from an E9x?

Today, 03:14 PM   #89
mecheng77
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i JBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Modern BMWs huge and bloated, completely unreliable, practically unrepairable (unless you are a dealer), only come with automatic/turbo, and have horrible resale value. You'd have to be either independently wealthy, completely clueless or insane to buy a new BMW imo. And I haven't driven anything else for 20 years.

Then you get to subjective stuff like buck tooth kidney grilles, complete lack of feel and no options for manual control (you know, "ultimate driving" type stuff). Those teeth, yeesh.
The ANGER here!

Honestly, though, you sound a lot like the E30 guys when the E36 came out, or the E46 guys when the E90 came out. I really like my E91, like a lot. I can see myself owning this car for a long time.

With that said, my sister in law just got a brand new X5 and its fucking awesome. Its not as fun to drive as my E91, but its easily the best larger SUV I've ever driven. Engine/transmission calibration is fantastic, and they nailed the ride/handling balance--hers even has the normal non-adaptive shocks. Basically, BMW has realized that people don't buy cars anymore, so they've thrown a lot of resources behind making the best crossover/SUV on the market. I'm personally not an SUV guy, but I am impressed at the engineering they've done to make a 5000 pound vehicle handle like something much smaller and lower and still get 26 mpg on the highway.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Modern BMWs huge and bloated, completely unreliable, practically unrepairable (unless you are a dealer), only come with automatic/turbo, and have horrible resale value. You'd have to be either independently wealthy, completely clueless or insane to buy a new BMW imo. And I haven't driven anything else for 20 years.

Then you get to subjective stuff like buck tooth kidney grilles, complete lack of feel and no options for manual control (you know, "ultimate driving" type stuff). Those teeth, yeesh.
The ANGER here!

Honestly, though, you sound a lot like the E30 guys when the E36 came out, or the E46 guys when the E90 came out. I really like my E91, like a lot. I can see myself owning this car for a long time.

With that said, my sister in law just got a brand new X5 and its fucking awesome. Its not as fun to drive as my E91, but its easily the best larger SUV I've ever driven. Engine/transmission calibration is fantastic, and they nailed the ride/handling balance--hers even has the normal non-adaptive shocks. Basically, BMW has realized that people don't buy cars anymore, so they've thrown a lot of resources behind making the best crossover/SUV on the market. I'm personally not an SUV guy, but I am impressed at the engineering they've done to make a 5000 pound vehicle handle like something much smaller and lower and still get 26 mpg on the highway.
If you are not selling SUVs you will be out of business. All car companies get this, that's why Bmw has so many different suv models. At least they still make sporty cars not like Acura who've become basically an suv only car company, their sedans suck now. North America loves their SUVs. We are one of the few families on our street that only has sedans
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:22 PM   #90
zipstic
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
I'd like to keep my e92 as a winter car if possible. Then I would get something fun for the summer. M2C, Cayman, something else?

I'm very interested in the next gen G42 M240/M245. But I'll have to wait until more details are released. The spy pics haven't revealed too much yet to really get a good idea of the styling, specifically the front grille.
      Today, 05:03 PM   #91
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
The ANGER here!

Sure. It's the beard logical fallacy. Just because you don't notice, doesn't mean the cars haven't gotten abolutely bloated. I will never like 4500lb land yachts, even if they say BMW on them and are straight line fast. I loved our E91 as well, selling it was a mistake (it took 3 years for my wife to admit it).

As far as the X5 - yes, they all handle and drive excellent, esp. for the size. My comment is more about what utter pieces of shit they are. Owning an X5 out of warranty or over 100k miles will drive you to insanity. Never have I ever had such a problematic car before - and I have had lots of high miles BMWs. The build quality is just shit, and much of the engineering is questionable at best. But boy are they nice when new...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:44 PM   #92
fastboatster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Well, if 3 series have gotten too large there’s still 2 series. I think not all the 2 series are fwd based now, only the gran coupe.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:17 PM   #93
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yeah, meh, I don't know. It's too late for me. I just don't care about BMWs anymore (I still like the ones I already have, though).
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:17 PM   #94
tomgwuyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6spd

I might be getting an Acura RDX.
Appreciate 0