E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Abs/dtc/4x4/ses

07-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
BeamerNooby
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

Exclamation Abs/dtc/4x4/ses

Hey guys ive had this issue with my 2008 328xi E90 for a week now i get a random trifecta of lights usually its the abs dtc and 4x4 lights. They come on after highway driving at a good pace but go away after the car is restarted or sat for a while. Got the codes scanned and its

581D EGS: signal fault, wheel circumferential velocity rear right from DSC
55C3: VTG: AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque
55C6: message (wheel speed, 0xce) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC
And today the ses came on along side it so i scanned it myself with a scan tool and i got the code p1775 which said something about a wheel speed sensor.

Car drives fine AWD still active, no grinding noises or drive ability. I’m replacing the right rear wheel speed sensor tomorrow morning hopefully that fixes things.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue before?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

I've had the same issue as you before. Learn from my mistakes, i ended up replacing the ABS controller which was not the problem. Apparently the wheel bearing has a magnetic sending unit inside of it that caused my issues.

I would start with the wheel speed sensor, then the wheel bearing as they are the cheapest
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
BeamerNooby
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I've had the same issue as you before. Learn from my mistakes, i ended up replacing the ABS controller which was not the problem. Apparently the wheel bearing has a magnetic sending unit inside of it that caused my issues.

I would start with the wheel speed sensor, then the wheel bearing as they are the cheapest
Pardon my ignorance lol but whats the abs controller lol?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerNooby View Post
Pardon my ignorance lol but whats the abs controller lol?
ABS controller is a "computer" that is hooked up to the ABS system that decides which wheel gets how much braking force.... its like $3500 for that controller so I would pray that it's not the controller that has gone bad.

If the controller does end up being the issue I believe there are places online that will repair the ABS controller and the ABS pump at the same time for a cheaper price.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
prochase777
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 328xit

Hi i am having the same issue, did you get yours fixed? If so what was causing this issue? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochase777 View Post
i am having the same issue, did you get yours fixed? If so what was causing this issue? Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum!

It is RARE INDEED that two vehicles have exactly the "same issue" in terms of the cause of a warning light or fault code. OP (Original Poster) has NOT participated on forum for 7+ months, so it is unlikely he will respond. The way to Properly Identify, and then CORRECT a Fault Condition is through use of proper Diagnostic Software which can read Fault Codes, Freeze Frame Data, and also Monitor Live Data. Replacing the same part someone else did, who may have had a different cause for certain warning lights as you, usually wastes time & money.

Questions:
1) What Warning Lights do you have on the Instrument Cluster, when did they begin to remain on/come on after engine start, and how long do they remain on?
2) Have you used "Check Control" to read CC-ID codes in your Instrument Cluster Memory? If so, what CC-ID codes are present? See Owner's Manual for Check Control procedure.
3) Do you have a Scan Tool that can read Fault Codes in Modules OTHER THAN the DME (Engine Control Module)? If so, what Fault Codes are Read?
4) If you can go to the nearest Advance Auto or Autozone to get codes read, what codes did they read? (take photo of their Scan Tool Screen(s) and attach jpg file to post here).
5) Do you have a Multimeter that can read Voltage and Resistance (Ohms)?
6) Does the vehicle have ANY performance symptoms? If so, please describe in detail.
7) What is the build Month/Year of your E91, or preferably the Last 7 Characters of your VIN, so we can lookup the correct wiring diagram on TIS?

The most common cause of the three warning lights: ABS, DTC & 4x4, is an issue with one of the FOUR Wheel Speed Sensors, or the Connector or wiring for that Sensor, between the Sensor and the DSC/DXC Control Unit on your 328xi E91. The wiring or connector is often the cause of the "out of range" signal reported by a Fault Code, or the Reluctor or "Pulse Unit" in the wheel bearing, or air gap between the Reluctor and Sensor, may be the cause.

There is a separate fault code for each of the four wheels, so the first step is to get the codes read, and report back for "Next Steps".

George
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
prochase777
Registered
Rep

Thank you so much for the detailed response much appreciated. I tried best to answer all of your questions regarding my problem. It started like the OP, the lights came on when driving and would go off after shutting car off. Before coming on again while driving. Now they are on always drving or not. Cold start etc.

Questions:
1) What Warning Lights do you have on the Instrument Cluster, when did they begin to remain on/come on after engine start, and how long do they remain on? Brake in yellow, service engine soon, ABS, DSC

3) Do you have a Scan Tool that can read Fault Codes in Modules OTHER THAN the DME (Engine Control Module)? If so, what Fault Codes are Read? 55C3 VTG AWD limp home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque. 55C6 Message (wheel speed 0xce ) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC

5) Do you have a Multimeter that can read Voltage and Resistance (Ohms)yes?
6) Does the vehicle have ANY performance symptoms? If so, please describe in detail. No
7) What is the build Month/Year of your E91, or preferably the Last 7 Characters of your VIN, so we can lookup the correct wiring diagram on TIS?
[B][January 2009 BMW 328xi E91 (A540079)/B]

Thank you for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

My ABS/BRAKE/4X4 story

Here's my similar story (happened in early July '20):

I had the ABS/BRAKE/4x4 lights come on (2006 330Xi). It seemed to be somewhat temperature related -- as they'd go off when I started driving again later in the day -- but come on again after about 10 minutes of driving. Sometimes the 4x4 light would come on alone first -- but the others soon followed. Also sometimes I'd get a yellow low tire pressure indicator as well.

Researching the internet pointed to either the transfer case gear motor or a wheel speed sensor. I was hoping for a wheel speed sensor -- because that is cheaper.

I had a BavTech scan tool -- so I hooked that up and got similar codes as you (from what they called the LDM). While pointing to wheel speed sensor, it wasn't specific as to which one -- and I really didn't want to change all of them.

So I instead purchased the Foxwell NT-510 scan tool and sold the BavTech on e-bay (it still had two VINs left on it). The delta cost me around $30.

Once I had the Foxwell tool, I hook it up. Much more detailed indications (as well as live data for the wheel speed sensors). The live data didn't tell me anything -- all 4 wheels seemed to read the same -- but the codes indicated a problem with the left front sensor (although there were some transfer case codes as well - I was hoping these were related to the sensor).

Anyway, I ordered the wheel speed sensor (Bosch) from FCP euro. I also ordered some long stem wire wheel attachments for my Dremel. At this point (again from internet research) I was kind of thinking it was probably rust on the sensor ring -- given the sensor itself seemed to be basically working.

Once all these arrived, I took off the front wheel and attempted to remove the wheel speed sensor. The 5mm allen bolt came out surprisingly easily -- but the plastic sensor itself was stuck. I tried wiggling with both fingers and and pliers -- but it was really stuck. A wood chisel applied where the plastic met the hub succeeded in opening up a crack between the two and I was able to use pliers from there.

The sensor ring looked clean -- but I applied the wire brush anyway through the sensor mounting hole. This took a while as you can only reach 2 'gaps' in the ring at any time and there are a total of around 40 gaps. I used 'dust off' to blow out any dust/rust.

I was originally planning on not using the new sensor that I bought (assuming the problem was rust) -- but since I had it and the problem didn't seem to be the ring -- I replaced the sensor as well.

It's been about 10 days now since doing this and the lights haven't returned, so I'm calling the operation a success!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochase777 View Post
... It started like the OP, the lights came on when driving and would go off after shutting car off. Before coming on again while driving. Now they are on always drving or not. Cold start etc.
1) What Warning Lights do you have on the Instrument Cluster: Brake in yellow, service engine soon, ABS, DSC...
3) ... what Fault Codes are Read? 55C3 VTG AWD limp home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque. 55C6 Message (wheel speed 0xce ) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC...
[January 2009 BMW 328xi E91 (A540079)...
Both of those codes were in "VGSG 90" or Transfer Case Module Memory. When there is a fault in ONE Module, such as the VGSG, which indicates NO Signal or Message from another Module, the fault is in the "Transmitter" Module (or components providing INPUTS to the Transmitter Module). Both the VGSG Faults indicate LACK of "signal" or "message" from the DSC Module, so we need to be able to read faults in the DSC/DXC Module of your 2009 328xi E91.

You don't say (and I failed to ask ;-) WHAT make & Model of Scan Tool you are using?? Please provide that information so someone can indicate WHAT capabilities it has and HOW to get it to do certain things if it is capable.

We need to first get that Scan Tool, or another Scan Tool such as an Advance Auto FREEby, to connect to the DSC/DXC module and read Fault Codes saved in DSC/DXC Memory. SOMETHING is causing it to turn off functions it cannot properly monitor or process, such as Wheel Speed from one of the four Wheel Speed Sensors.

So read your Scan Tool Manual to see HOW to get it to either (1) Read ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules (you have ~ 20 different Modules/ Computers in your vehicle), or (2) Connect to the DSC/DXC Module (aka ABS Module) and read Fault Codes saved there. If you have questions or have a message on the Tool Screen that you're uncertain how to interpret, post back with question or photo of Tool Screen.

Here is the TIS wiring diagram for your DSC/DXC Module. I would suggest checking each of the fuses identified on the Left of the Schematic: F26, F82, F90 as lack of Power Supply to a Module will prevent Scan Tool Connection or Module Function. Also Note the four Wheel Speed Sensors (B1,B2,B3,B4) all connect to the DSC, so any issue with signals from them will cause Fault Code(s) to be saved in DSC Memory.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ol-dsc/hYo4qNp

George
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
prochase777
Registered
Rep

schwaben 14020sch
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 12:18 AM   #11
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i cabrio

Wanted to see if anyone has had these codes before with the same christmas lights on the dash as op said:

12 dme/dde okay 1 error stored
2fe6 88

18 egs okay 1 error stored
581d a8

29 dsc okay 1 error stored
5dc2 a0

im using inpa version 1.09

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0